“Pretty location, so-so accommodations”
Review of Mountain Home Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mill Valley
Mountain Home Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Mill Valley B&B and Inns
Orlando, FL
“Pretty location, so-so accommodations”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Home Inn while hiking through Muir Woods. The Inn is on a hillside with really pretty views, but the property could use some updating. The room was big and comfortable, but there were cigarette ashes on the deck and cobwebs on the ceiling. The toilet would run at random times and the sink dripped. The carpet, especially on the stairs, needs a good cleaning. There was no TV as well and not much else to do in the area after a day of hiking. The restaurant had good food and the servers were nice, but the service was incredibly slow. I probably wouldn't stay there again until they have done some basic cleaning and maintenance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
handcar, General Manager at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Mountain home inn.

Since your stay we have installed new carpet in the areas
you mentioned and beyond.
In addition our housekeeping staff has also been
improved, and they are working hard to give our guest the service they deserve.

We do not have TV’s in the rooms. We do have a great WIFI connection in all rooms and communal spaces. So our guest can can download movies, use Netflix or watch their favorite programs on line.

Again we thank you for your review, and we hope you will visit us at the Mountain Home Inn
next time you are in the area.

MHI Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Point Richmond, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

love the Mountain Home Inn.

I have been there after a hike for a beer on the back deck. The view is spectactular, all pine trees and bay and east Bay hills. I have dined on killer salmon by a real deal wood fire on a romantic date -- the simple but kinda perfect wine list added to the ambiance. I have taken my infant, and now toddler for snacks (I had beer, she didn't) and she was right at home with relaxed hikers and locals who were also enjoying the day. And I've stayed in the rooms (whirl pool tub! fire place! view!) and slept incredibly well.

My fancy parents also love the place! And stay there whenever they visit. The love the food, the laid back staff and the nearby hikes and biking.

If you do have the chance to get breakfast, get the grits -- best in the county!

And for those who note the low stars for service -- I'm baffled. I've never had anything but friendly, professional, high-end service. The whole vibe is more laid back than SF high dining -- but that's one of the reasons why we go the Mountain Home Inn -- to get away (and above) from the hustle and bustle of down below

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a whirl pool tub.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jen L
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I selected the Mountain Home Inn for a celebratory weekend with my fiancé. Perhaps my expectations were too high after reading the many wonderful reviews. To ensure a memorable stay I called prior to our reservation to specify the Canopy room and was told a bottle of champagne would be awaiting us to celebrate.

Upon arrival the weather was quite treacherous and we were informed there was no water due to a neighboring pipe break. We were offered separate accommodations but declined as we were looking forward to the Mountain Home Inn. We were offered a half empty bottle of wine consumed by other patrons then led to a different room than I had reserved. (There was no champagne as had been promised the day before). Having been our first time at the Mountain Home Inn I suspected there was just an inaccuracy in the room description. Upon checking out, however, the staff member asked if we changed rooms. Realizing my initial suspicions were correct (that we were given a separate room than I had booked) I inquired further. The staff member was even confused as to why our room was given away. I was told I should be happy I was saving money since the room we stayed in was cheaper than the one I reserved.

I contacted the inn after our trip but 1 year later I have yet to receive a response!! I am still in disbelief.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mala16
Chicago
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This hidden gem is an ideal getaway for the busy business traveler such as myself. Only about 25 minutes outside of San Francisco with easy access to all my downtown meeting venues, this quiet mountain top getaway provided the tranquility and peace necessary to recharge my batteries from the day's activities and offered a great setting to conduct all the necessary business follow up on my laptop while enjoying the awesome views. Rooms and staff were great and I'd definitiely recommend the Mountain Home Inn to other business and leisure travelers alike.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ChicagoCatman
Oakland, CA
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We live in the area and know it well. We decided to stay at Mt. Home Inn to celebrate my wife' birthday with our teenage kids and to hike Mt. Tam, which borders Muir Woodsmto the north. We stayed in Room 9 and had dinner here the week before Christmas.

The room was simple and clean, but you don't come here for the room. You come for a great location for hiking or biking Tam - where modern mountain biking began. You canalso come for the dinner. We had a fine dinner for four with a killer Zin for under $200.

If you want an upscale vacation, stay in the city or in Mill Valley. But if you want to roll out of bed onto the trail, this is your spot.

One suggestion: they need an espresso machine. Some of us do not handle mornings all that well on brewed coffee. But this is a small point. Overall, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank MTMusings
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. It's a very charming place with an unbeatable view. There were numerous things to love about this place, but the bed in the room we stayed in (Rm # 10), was EXTREMELY hard! This was mentioned by a previous reviewer as well, who likened it to sleeping on plywood. I completely agree.

The bed was so brutal, both my husband and I woke up with very sore back muscles. My husband's back still hurts every time he breathes in, and it has already been more than 1 day since we left the inn. We've stayed at numerous hotels and inns before, and have never encountered such an uncomfortable bed.

PROs:
- Unbeatable views of the trees and bay
- Charming room decor
- Jacuzzi in our room
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Super delicious breakfast (included) with a view!
- Rustic charm; you feel like you're away from it all

CONS:
- Worn-out carpet in the hallways
- EXTREMELY HARD BED!! (Rm# 10)

We loved this inn but unfortunately will not come back because we could not get proper sleep on the bed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shinywings
weloveromantichotels, Owner at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind words explaining why the inn is a special place. We are very sorry however to hear the bed was too hard for you. We take pride in providing comfortable beds and thank you for telling us the room number. We are making immediate plans to correct it.
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I prearranged details for a small wedding ceremony long-distance, over the phone, with Marisa at the Mountain Home Inn. Tthe plan if it rained (and it did) was to have our wedding ceremony in the downstairs dining room followed by lunch.

Our wedding was very small and intimate. We had a few guests (a total of six adults and two children) and choose Mt. Tam for it’s beautiful and peaceful surroundings. We arrived at the Mountain Home Inn ½ an hour early and it appeared that the staff wasn’t expecting us. The downstairs dining room wasn’t prepared and because of the weather it was really cold.

The staff appeared to be pretty laid-back, but I was surprised at how quickly they were able to set up a table for our lunch. It was a good thing we arrived early though, as this gave them some time to get the downstairs dining room prepared for our lunch. The setting actually worked very well for us, our ceremony was held on time outside on the balcony (under a covered area) followed by a long and leisurely lunch in the downstairs dining room. It was rather cold, but staff kept the fireplace burning and turned up the heat for us.

We took our time and ordered lunch from the menu, the food was very good. They had a good assortment of dishes including vegetarian and kid friendly options. I never did meet Marisa but the staff really pulled things together for us and helped make our day special.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#2 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Mountain Home Inn? Share your experiences!