“Excellent Food/Average Staff”

Frantoio Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Frantoio Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 109 Restaurants in Mill Valley
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Highway 101
Transit: Marin Bus Stop: Manzanita
Description: Local, Organic, Non-GMO Northern Italian cuisine
Reviewed June 13, 2018

The food was spectacular, the server not so much. We asked very simple questions about the menu items and he acted both confused and somehow offended, was weird. We just wanted water with lemon and were brought tiny glasses with one skinny lemon. We just asked for a larger glass since that was the only thing we would be drinking. That wasn't possible...ok how about a little more lemon. That went ignored until a busboy saw that the server hadn't filled our glasses or given us more lemons. He kept filling our water glasses and brought us out a plate of lemons! The server brought out bread but we didn't have olive oil at our table like all of the other tables. We had to ask twice for the olive oil and it was amazing. They make their own and it was the best I've ever tasted. We asked for pepper to put in the olive oil and again, weird kind of offended act but he brought it over for us. I had the risotto with wild mushrooms and prawns with roasted corn and it was delicious, everything prepared perfectly, the best risotto I've had. My husband had the pizza with sausage and peppers, it was equally delicious and very large. He asked the server if the peppers were green because he doesn't care for green peppers, again the server acted offended and stated, "Of course, red!" with a snooty toss of the head. We couldn't help but laugh out loud at that point. The server stated the pizza was an individual size but in reality it was like a large. We had pizza the next day for lunch there was so much leftover. The only real downside was the server and that the restaurant smelled awful, like a bait shop. We almost left when we first walked in because of the awful smell but it was the only place still open. The server acted as though we were hillbillies or something but we were the best dressed people in the entire restaurant and it wasn't even close to fine dining. Glad we stayed for the food!

Date of visit: June 2018
FrantoioRistorante, General Manager at Frantoio Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2018

Hello Charlotte,

I appreciate your feedback.
While I'm glad that you enjoyed our food so much, I do apologize for the strange and inhospitable service.
If you could tell me the servers name, or where you were sitting, I would be able to address these issues with the server in question.
Again, please accept my apologies for the poor service.

Matt Calkins
General Manger
Frantoio Ristorante

Reviewed May 20, 2018

Our first night in Mill Valley we were looking for a quiet meal with great food. Frantoio fit the bill! We ate later in the evening and it was very quiet and relaxing with very few diners.
My husband ordered the pizza which was delicious. It had a nice thin crust and they cook it in a wood burning oven. I ordered the pasta special but with gluten free pasta. When my order came it was not the special that I ordered but another dish made with gluten free pasta. Thankfully the dish was something that I enjoyed.
Reasonably priced menu for the area.
Only recommendation would be that the waiter pay attention especially if you have a food allergy. It wasn't a busy night at all so don't know how the meal I ordered was lost in translation.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

Full menu with lots of choice including pizza. Home made pasta was very good and filling. Lentil soup was tasty but the serving size was small for the price. Salad was very good until too much dressing was added. Breads were excellent as was the house olive oil. Service was well balanced.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 13, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I ate here after a full day of sightseeing in San Francisco.
The menu was quite limited, we have eaten in many other Italian restaurants that have a wider self of entrees.
My husband had the pollo and polenta chips, and I had a mushroom pizza. The pizza had a delicious thin and crispy crust, just how I like it. My husband said his meal was ok, he was a bit unsure of the polenta chips.
The greeter was engaging as she had family from the U.K. All staff were friendly and welcoming.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 3, 2018

I've been here 3 times over the years, all with groups in their large glass walled room. Each time I had wonderful food, service and time with friends.

Date of visit: July 2017