“Go to the bar, stay with the apps, and you will be thrilled....”
Review of Buckeye Roadhouse

Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Stinson Beach exit off Hwy 101
Transit: Manzanita bus stop
San Francisco, California
“Go to the bar, stay with the apps, and you will be thrilled....”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Tried and true, we have been going for years. It would be 5 stars a few years ago. Now, I can't wait to spend an afternoon or evening sampling all their appetizers and delicious salads at the bar. But stay away from their meat - consistently overcooked, and unedible steaks, you should opt for a burger. The last 4 or 5 times we have ordered steak and fish, it's been brutalized, sorry to say. "Rare to Medium Rare" came out well done, last time, and a table of 3 steaks and one fish, all were MR with zero pink in them. These are Fridays and Saturdays too, so their A-team must be working. I am not sure what's going on there, but it's frustrating. So back to the lower priced meals, or a bar table littered with endless starters... we love all those apps!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank OnlineConcierge

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great dinner and service”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had a wonderful dinner here on our first night in the area. The old style dining room has great ambiance. Menu has many options. My steak, while good was cut up for some reason. Just seemed odd. The brick chicken was great. Very moist and tender and had great flavor. Service was spot on.

Visited June 2013
Sedona, Arizona
“Good restaurant but not the best”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a very good restaurant. The atmosphere, the menu selections, and the service is very good. I found it a little tacky that they charged for refills of their soft drinks. My son did not like or drink his watermelon drink, which was a little weird, and asked for another drink. I was charged for that as well. For the same price, I had a much better experience at El Paseo the evening before. I was a little disappointed with the meal and service.

• Visited June 2013
South Riding, Virginia
“Rustic californian cuisine”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Was looking for a Californian cuisine restaurant during a business trip, and this place was close by and well reviewed (in the top 100 Best Restaurant list of SFgate.com). It didn't disappoint at all. I thought the name was a little unusual, but overall we had a great dinner. We visited on a Monday around 6p, and after valet parking our car (there is no self-parking, but valet parking is free) we entered what looked like a large home/lodge. We asked for a table for 2 and were sat immediately. I would describe the interior as rustic, but comfortable. Service was friendly, attentive and prompt - really it was nearly perfect in just about every way.

The food was really delicious as well. I had the fish special... roasted sea bass served with basil pesto fava beans and a light lime vinaigrette zucchini salad on top. I thought the portion was the perfect size, the fish was cooked perfectly and seasoned well. I was full by the time I was done, and had plenty of beans left. My colleague had the BBQ beef brisket, and it too was delicious. The meat was very tender and flavorful, and it came with creamy mashed potatoes -- very reminiscent of a hearty home-cooked meal. We also ordered a side of the crispy polenta -- which was delicious! We finished with a nice combo of mango and blood orange sorbets.

It wasn't a quiet/romantic restaurant environment, but it was not so loud that you couldn't have a conversation. We noticed that sometime during the 6-7pm hour the restaurant got completely full... so I guess we arrived just in the time.

Overall, we had a great dinner with delicious food, and I would certainly go there again.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank kevinchin5
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A great trip back in time.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place. Think Sam spade and 1934 road side in. We ate at bar and had a burger and a steak. Plus great wine. Service great. Atmosphere great. It's simply an enjoyable night.

• Visited March 2013