“Family Mexican Spot”
Review of The Cantina

The Cantina
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 106 Restaurants in Mill Valley
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Camino Alto
Description: The Cantina is located in Mill Valley, California and is specialized in Mexican cuisine.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

It's gonna be loud but comfortable and festive. But this is where you come for a low profile comfort Mexican with the family. Service and food are consistent. On a sunny day the patio is nice with friends and Margaritas.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We love the friendly neighborhood feeling here. We are always greeted at the door with a warm smile and treated as an invited guests. Our favorite manager is Jackie. She worked at the original Cantina back in the day, and they wisely brought her back when they opened the "relaunched" restaurant a few years back. The extensive Cantina mexican food menu has something for everyone. BUT not to worry if you are not a burrito fan. They have delicious burgers, fries, salads, and sandwiches. My favorite dish is the grilled salmon. Always cooked to perfection and served with your choice of sides. Stay away from the shrimp cocktail. While the shrimp are tasty, it is served in a watery house sauce which is tasteless. DO order the tableside guacamole. It is $2.00 more than the house guacamole and so worth it! And don't miss "taco night" every Monday. Delicious dollar tacos and happy hour all night. It is really fun and a bargain!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I'm a flat land foreigner from Ohio and know as much about Mexican food as I do about rocket surgery.

But: the people I was with do, and they say it's the best Mexican restaurant in that end of Marin County.I can't imagine how many Mexican restaurants there are, but I suspect it's a big number. A"zillion" comes to mind.

I've told you before that "good food and big drinks" are high on my list of restaurant grading points..I think "The Cantina" demonstrates that in the extreme.On a Tuesday night the parking lot was jammed.

Marin County is, I think, a very "hip" neighborhood. There are a lot of bright people there. I submit that smart people vote with their money

This is certainly not an expensive restaurant.

But: It's a good one.

Should you be a visitor, I respectfully suggest that you give it your attention.

I really liked it.

I'll bet you do, too.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I come from a state with great Mexican food. That being said, I thought California world exceed expectations in food seeing as they are so diverse. Trust me, I was wrong!! The food was tasteless and while it was fast the quality suffered. Our enchiladas were swimming in bland sauce and the fish wasn't even fresh and also tasteless! I was so disappointed and I wish I'd just starved.

1  Thank TheKokopelliKid
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Cantina is a restaurant that meets all needs....ample parking (don't forget to check behind the building!), full bar, good food that is reasonably priced, nice atmosphere. You can bring your kids and if they sling a few beans around, well, hey, you can join the crowd of kids doing so. Just have a drink from the full bar and you won't notice as much. Of course, if you want to avoid the bean-slingers, just sit near or at the bar, let Michael the Great serve you and watch one of the various games on the screens. Or better yet, snag one of the seats out front or in the side patio and enjoy the beautiful Mill Valley weather. Really. For the price, location and variety, how can you miss?