“I'm Genuinely Offended”
Review of The Cantina

The Cantina
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 99 Restaurants in Mill Valley
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Camino Alto
Description: The Cantina is located in Mill Valley, California and is specialized in Mexican cuisine.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“I'm Genuinely Offended”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I come from a state with great Mexican food. That being said, I thought California world exceed expectations in food seeing as they are so diverse. Trust me, I was wrong!! The food was tasteless and while it was fast the quality suffered. Our enchiladas were swimming in bland sauce and the fish wasn't even fresh and also tasteless! I was so disappointed and I wish I'd just starved.

• Visited October 2013

Berkeley
“Meeting all needs...”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Cantina is a restaurant that meets all needs....ample parking (don't forget to check behind the building!), full bar, good food that is reasonably priced, nice atmosphere. You can bring your kids and if they sling a few beans around, well, hey, you can join the crowd of kids doing so. Just have a drink from the full bar and you won't notice as much. Of course, if you want to avoid the bean-slingers, just sit near or at the bar, let Michael the Great serve you and watch one of the various games on the screens. Or better yet, snag one of the seats out front or in the side patio and enjoy the beautiful Mill Valley weather. Really. For the price, location and variety, how can you miss?

• Visited May 2013
Chicago
“Blahcamole!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Huge and corporate-y, The Catina looks as if it were built for a resort or theme park's Mexican section. The attitude of the restaurant is pretty much the same. You get smiley cheerleader-esque service, supporting little substance or authenticity.

Following suit, everything you would expect to be on the menu is on the menu - nothing tastes exceptionally good, nothing tastes exceptionally bad.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank John K
Mill Valley
“cantina and chips”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've been going to the Cantina for over 16 plus years. (I think) I loved the way it was years ago. There was a neighborhood group and I think I can speak for everyone..we had fun. Then it went into other hands and I thought it went downhill. Now it is back to the old Cantina. although it isn't quite as fun as before I will always give the Cantina a five star review solely on their chips and salsa. I'm a chef and very picky and an expert on mexican food. Even their guacamole is made the way I like it. They have the very BEST chips of any other place. Happy hour 3-7

• Visited February 2013
California
“Inconsistent”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We live in Mill Valley and have frequented the Cantina about 4 times since we moved here a year ago. Not only is the food inconsistent, so is the service. We have had fresh ceviche and the side salad and it has sparkled but, on another trip, the fish was old and the side salad slick with age. The carnitas was the driest and most flavorless of any we have ordered in Marin restaurants. One server asked if we needed extra limes, extra plates and made great recommendations. Next visit, we had a waiter who took the order and disappeared. It was delivered by someone else. Trying to find someone to bring us an extra plate or limes was nearly impossible. I looked over and saw several of the waitstaff in what appeared to be an alcove, laughing and talking during our entire visit. I think we have given it enough chances - time to move on. The food is certainly fresher at Maya Palanque in Ignacio, the portions more generous, the staff more accommodating. And the take-out only at Lucinda's, near Strawberry Shopping Center and about 4 blocks from the Cantina, is much tastier! Adios, Cantina!

• Visited February 2013