“Fantastic hotel and stunning bedrooms”
Review of Glendale Hotel

Glendale Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Penarth
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This hotel is fantastic nothing wrong with the rooms or the food. amazing service overall a fantastic stay at this hotel

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Made the mistake of booking tickets for a show in Cardiff on the same day as the Rugby Six Nations decider at Cardiff Arms Park. As a result could not find a hotel anywhere in Cardiff (except at silly inflated prices), so looked further afield. We love Penarth, and even there we struggled. Tony at Glendale came back and said they could help, but only had one room - but the bathroom was down the corridor. We grabbed it straight away - and were very pleasantly surprised. Location is great - 2 minutes to main street, 3 minutes to rail station, and 10 minute walk to the seafront. Room turned out to be lovely, and bathroom - which was very nice - was only 5 steps away. Room was nicely appointed - wash-hand basin, flat screen TV and all homely comforts. Only downside was no heating in room. Restaurant looked nice with lots of quirky antiques and touches, although we didn't eat there. The hot cooked breakfast was superb.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gilwernboy
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I wasn't expecting much for the price but was still left disappointed. The room was very cold, bathroom even more so. Toilet door didnt close properly, bed linen was dirty. No one at reception to check in.

I definitely would not stay here again.

The restaurant on the other hand is decent.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank CheekyNomad
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I had Room 9, which was pleasantly and recently decorated. It had two single beds and an ensuite with a bath with shower above it. All extras e.g. coffe, tea, etc were provided. The full English breakfast was particularly good. An italian restaurant is attached if guests wish to have an evening meal. I felt this hotel provided good value for money.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the garden and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2011

The Glendale and Villa Napoli's decor has not changed in the 20 years I've been living in Penarth. It would not be my first choice for dining as my husband and I've been kept waiting an hour and half for a table in the past (having booked well in advance), but I went recently with a group of friends who'd decided to go there and was yet again disappointed.

The bar is dark, dingy and scruffy to say the least, the same old tired ornaments and dusty rubbish hanging on the walls and from the ceilings. The dining room is the same and must look dreadful in daylight.

My food choices were very uninteresting - I had large flat mushrooms stuffed with pate - completely tasteless. 4 of them cost £5.95. I then had the biggest pile of spaghetti I've seen in a long time, enough to feed at least 2 with a hearty appetite. It was called Spaghetii Aglio Olio with Pesto Genovese, but the spaghetti was dry with hardly any flavour with a spoonful of oil at the bottom of the dish.The teeniest specks of pesto were dotted around the edge of the dish. This was priced at £8.75.

I had to ask for a spoon - how the hell does one eat spaghetti with a knife and fork?! and left most of the spaghetti as it was soooooo boring. The waiter didn't even bother to question why. None of us bothered with pudding.

I won't be going back and will persuade me friends to try elsewhere next year.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank louiseholistic
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Whenever I am in South Wales on business this is always my first choice. Tony, Franco and the other staff here cannot do enough for you. Considering I visit maybe every couple of months they always remember my name and welcome u as if you were family!

With regards the other comments on here about room 7. I regularly get or even ask for room 7 as it is warm and well decorated. (As other rooms are that I have stayed in). It suits me fine as is a large spacious room with a comfortable bed, good comfortable chairs and a nice TV. The only comment I would make is this room only has a shower so if you prefer a bath ask when you book. However the shower works perfectly and I have never had an issue with the availability of hot water.

The other factor that brings me back again and again is the food. Villa Napoloi is probably ''The Best'' Italian restaurant I have eaten in. This is based on the quality of food against the price. Portions are more than generous and the staff are attentive and friendly.
I was most disappointed when I stayed on a Monday night and the restaurant was closed and ate in the Railway pub across the road. (BLAND/CHEAP - exactly what you'd expect from a chain pub!!!!).

In summary if you are looking for accomdation and good food look no further that The Glendale/Villa Napoli. I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Adrian Reynolds (Littlehampton).

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath rather than shower ask when you book as some rooms only have a shower cubicle.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Adrian R
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The hotel owner is very welcoming, the hotel communal areas seem to be pretty clean. The owner did warn us the room was small. He was right!

The room itself was quite unwelcoming. The lock was very stiff to the point that even my husband was struggling! The room had a small toilet cubicle, the bit where the tiles met the bedroom carpet was very untidy, the threshold strip didn't cover the very untidy join. The room had lots of wires in plastic trunking everywhere. My husband thought the fit and finish was very poor. The room had a shower cubicle in the room (!), but we did not use the shower because of the state of the sink. The sink, in a corner of the room, was very grubby. The sink had been wiped over with a very dirty cloth and looked filthy. The toothbrush holder and mirror hadn't been wiped and were splattered with toothpaste. The cup was filthy and still contained a soap wrapper from a previous resident!!

The towels were clean as was the bed linen. The carpet needed vacuuming. The bed was hard, but we slept well, although in the summer the absence of a blind on the sky light would've meant a very early wake up!

The TV needed tuning in. The coffee and tea making facilities looked fine, but we didn't use it. The furniture seemed nice. In the corner of the room, there was an odd selection of magazines, all from 2006 (!), in varying languages (English, Finnish, Italian). Not sure why these were here. On top of the wardrobe, there was a men's XL black polo shirt, again, not sure why this was here.

The breakfast was well presented, but not amazing quality. No choice of what sort of bread for toast, the breakfast items were not explained, i.e. we'd rather not have had mushrooms.

Check out was fine, no problem with the price or staff availability for checking out.

All in all, not great at all, but not horrendous. The hotel needs a spring clean and some thought put into it. Penarth is a great place for visiting Cardiff, the hotel is ideally located near the train station. Forget Wetherspoon's etc. for food, there is a great café on the high street called Café des Amis, serving excellent food all day.

Room Tip: Make sure it's not an attic room!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penarth
Cefn Mably Hotel
#1 of 5 in Penarth
The Beach House Hotel
The Beach House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Penarth

Been to Glendale Hotel? Share your experiences!