“Very authentic curry but disappointing service”
Review of Mint and Mustard At Home - MOVED

Mint and Mustard At Home
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: The restaurant formerly known as Mint and Mustard at home is no longer associated in any way with Mint and Mustard and is under new ownership.Mint and Mustard has relocated to 46 Plessey Street, Penarth.
Swansea, Uk
“Very authentic curry but disappointing service”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We have visited India many times and this curry was about as authentic as we've eaten in the UK. However, the two male waiters that we were served by were unnecessarily abrupt. We were rushed from the table to accommodate the second sitting, yet at the time of leaving there were no other customers waiting. In summary, the curry was delicious but the service was wanting.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Patrickwelsh

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“The Pickled Pepper - Curry Heaven”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This takeaway had now been re-branded as The Pickled Pepper, and I'm thrilled to say that the quality of the food has gone up several notches.

It was like tasting curry for the first time; deep rich flavours and high quality meat.

We ordered one dish which came with "arf 'n' arf" which is a classic Welsh side dish. The chips were masterful; thick, slightly browned and crunchy, exactly the right consistency to mix in with a spoon of coconut rice and lavish with the roganjosh sauce. Welsh curry heaven.

The garlic naan was pungent with garlic (you could see the chunks !) and thankfully lacked the oiliness that you can sometimes get with naan. It's absorbency was optimal, soaking up all three sauces with a gladsome twinkling.

The lamb roganjosh was a real triumph, meat which fell away to the touch of the fork and then melted in the mouth and complemented by a sauce which should win the Nobel Prize for deliciousness.

The chicken tikka, a British classic, was also delicious and avariciously stuck away by my exacting mother-in-law. And if you can please her, you can please anybody.

The chicken makhani did not disappoint. It had the lot; flavour, texture and a cheeky kick to remind you that this is a hot curry to relish and enjoy.

Easily the best Indian takeaway I've had, it gave us value for money, arrived when promised and I could go on about the flavours, but I'd be here a while.

The Pickled Pepper has brought curry home, so make some room at the table for some of the finest takeaway food you'll ever taste.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank manwithmoustache
Penarth, United Kingdom
“Make sure you contact the proper Mint & Mustard in Penarth”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had an amazing takeaway when Mint & Mustard first opened in Penarth however had another one recently which was such a disappointment. The whole meal was really salty and not the quality we had experienced before. We have since found out that this takeaway was no longer linked to the actual Cardiff based Mint & Mustard. However we were pleased to hear that the original Mint & Mustard has opened this evening with a restaurant and take-away in Penarth on Plassey Street. Can't wait to get back to the usual excellent standard!

• Visited November 2013
Penarth, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We decided to try tasters from the menu in this popular take away. Usually we order as a family of 3 at another local takeaway but tonight I tried a meal for one (large enough to provide tasters for the other two in the family). After agreeing what to order from the limited menu I phoned at 6.10pm. Delivery by 6.30pm. That's good service for a Friday night!

Order was:

1 x Lamb Samosa - OK - nice fresh leaf salad. Samosa same as anywhere else. Salad leaves more upmarket.

1 x Lamb Biryhani - poor - sticky rice (not sure it was basmati?). Presence of saffron (good). Biryanis are usually cooked in layers. Not sure the case here - no evidence to suggest. All a bit of a rice/meat compote. Not special. Spoilt the overall meal experience really.

1 x Home style Lamb curry - OK - some nice flavours -- not special/memorable though.

Raitha (free with the Biryhani) - well presented.

So what else causes me to rate at 3. Well price comes into the equation. £21.95 including charge for delivery. At my usual (very consistent quality) takeaway, my bill for 3 persons with individual selections comes to £31 (with an additional discount for customer retention). That amounts to at least twice the amount of lovely food for a significant discount on M&M prices.

I will go back and sample other menu items but overall I find this take away difficult to recommend as a regular phone call.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Raiderbankk
“Fresh, tasty Indian takeaway.”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Having read reviews we were concerned about a long wait.
Found their online booking and tried to book through that with no joy....
But on driving into Penarth at 5pm noticed they were open....website says they open at 5.30?
Was able to order meal and collect it half hour later......perfect.
For 2 ordered 2 mains, special fried rice, pashwari nan and a portion of chips.
Plenty of food but I found the lamb curry too hot for my taste.....it did say medium + and I am a bit of a lightweight in the spicy stakes.
The Welsh beef curry was lovely though.

• Visited October 2013