“Everything's lovely but overpriced for what it is”
Review of The Pilot

The Pilot
Ranked #7 of 74 Restaurants in Penarth
Cuisines: Contemporary, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

A group of 6 of us ate here on Sunday as we'd heard good things and wanted to try it out.

The restaurant is at the back of the pub and opens at 6:30; it seemed to be very popular and filled up quickly (maybe because it was a bank holiday) so perhaps it's worth booking in advance. The windows show a lovely view over the marina and Cardiff Bay and the decor is modern, tasteful and functional. There were plenty of toys and games on a shelving unit that I suppose would occupy children for a time, although the wood burner in the middle of the room may prove more entertaining for tiny delicate hands during the winter months!

The menu is typically British and offers meat, fish and vegetarian; there's also a specials board. As a group, we ordered 3 steak & chips, baked cod, fish & chips from the main menu and the gnocchi from the specials. Service was good and the food arrived hot and promptly. However, my friend who'd ordered the gnocchi was told that the specials board wasn't available that night and so they brought her a different dish that had gnocchi with it. This was not made clear to us at all when we ordered and I did feel that she was being slightly fobbed off with this explanation. However, when the waiter brought the rest of the food out, it was then that he offered her a drink for the inconvenience.

I had been looking forward to steak and chips all day, and was therefore disappointed with the portion size (but I could deal with that) and the fact that the steak was undercooked - I’d asked for medium and it was closer to rare. So if you do have steak, make sure you order it the next temperature up, if that makes sense. And it wasn't just me, two of my friends found that their steak was undercooked. As you can imagine...disappointed, especially when paying £17.50. That being said, my other friends said that their dishes were lovely.

To make up for the steak, we also ordered desserts. Now I’m not really a dessert person but have to say that their hazelnut, peanut chocolate thingy was incredible. So delicious and this time worth the £6.00. It put the smile back on my face.

So, to quote my title: everything is lovely, but I do feel that it is overpriced for what it is - even the beers were £3.50-£4.00 a pint.

1  Thank Basics100

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Beautiful views of Penarth Marina and Cardiff Bay, helped along with lashings of decent, homemade fish and chips - yum!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Had heard great things about this place but was a little disappointed. Think it is trying too hard to be something it is not! I ordered the Steak and Chips which was ok but not worth £17.50. My dessert however, was delicious! Key Lime Cheescake. Everyone in the party I was with thought the desserts were better than the main meal. So if you want a delicious dessert The Pilot's the place.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Ate here tonight with my partner and our three girls. Lovely restaraunt - very light and airy and great decor with fabulous views over the marina. The food was excellent - really good quality ingredients and cooked and presented beautifully. Portions were generous but not too much. Children have their own menu or can have half size adult meals. There is a great selection of games, books and puzzles to stop the children getting bored between courses. Service was friendly and the food was freshly cooked. We would definitely go back again - with and without the children.

1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Pilot used to be a pub. The smaller room has views over the Bay. The rooms are very clean. The food is excellent and prices moderate. Can thoroughly recommend the fish and chips - must be the best in the area. A good menu boards is available for those who want a more interesting choice. Will I visit again - I sure will.