“Very disappointing!!!”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

10 members of the family met up on Sunday and looked forward to sampling the newly refurbished Pilot's cuisine. The starters were very good- very different selection of flavours- I had the ham hock which was fab then as it was Sunday most of our party chose the roast beef- which had a £3 supplement. The beef was good but the veg was one plate of carrots and beans for 10 of us and the roast potatoes and yorkshire puds were dreadful- so hard we couldn't get and knife and fork into them and if you didn't have your own teeth they would have been impossible to eat!!! We asked for extra veg and the waitress suggested some new potatoes too but by the time they were brought to the table we had finished our meals. We were so disappointed with the main meals- one had the cod and chorizo which was nice but perhaps some garlic bread would have been a nice addition to the dish, we didn't bother with desert and left without a tip- something we would never dream of doing but we didn't feel the experience warranted one. Sorry ... but we wouldn't recommend the place to anyone .

1  Thank Debbie W

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Im new to "TripAdvisor" and thought it would be fitting to start with my first review for The new Pilot. My wife and I came here last weekend on the recommendations from friends and boy, we weren't dissappointed!! For me, first impressions are everything and straight away i was impressed with how clean and fresh the building looked and its always good to eat somewhere with a 5* hygeine rating!! We hadn't booked and the bar tender was accommodating and sat us down at a table in the "dining room" area. We ordered just main courses, my wife had the fish and chips and i opted for the lamb rump. My lamb was one the best dishes ive ever eaten, succlient, flavoursome, DELICIOUS! My wife's fish and chips looked superb - which she said it was - crisp batter, plump chips, again DELICIOUS. Two drinks and two main courses at this standard for under £30, unbelievable!! Shall definetly be returning!! Thank you!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Am I being too harsh, or is there someone else out there who had the same bad experience with the Pilot's Pinacolada last week end?
The meal up until the dessert menu arrived had been o.k.
We have been to the Pilot 4/5 times since it re-opened and found it an attractive addition the culinary scene of Penarth, though like one of your reviewers, I thought it to be not as good as it once was. The main courses had been consumed and we were quite happy to get the bill and enjoyed the rest of the evening at home. When the restaurant manager brought the dessert menu and recommended the Pilot's Pinacolada, without any questions we followed his recommendation. Perhaps we should have enquired about the content of the dessert, but I do occasionnally enjoy a sense of surprise. Had we known pannacotta was going to play a main part of the dessert, we might have had reservations. From experience we know it can vary in quality quite a lot. The consistency of this one was totally wrong with much too much gelatine. The gentle wobble you expect from a perfectly set panna cotta, just wasn't there. The malibu flavour wasn't there either. The rest of dessert which consisted of pineapple done 3 ways, were uninspiring, with difficulty in differentiating the poached and roasted version, with the frozen bits of pineapple supposed to act as refreshing sorbet, just tasted like bits of frozen pineapple. The dessert was served on a wooden board. Why do restaurants think the use of a wooden board is so fantastic? It might work for serving cheese on, but don't serve a sweet ingredient with a delicate flavour on a board which is never totally free of odours. We expressed our disappointement to the manager, especially in view of his recommendation, and were told there was nothing wrong with the dessert. Needless to say we didn't eat it.
The bill was paid in full, including the dessert, meaning our criticism was not accepted and our judgement questionned. Disappointing and frustrating.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have now been to the Pilot quite a few times since it has opened. Once you find somewhere good - I suppose you tend to keep going back. The cleanliness of the pub is inviting. The staffs are very friendly, and welcoming – whilst also extremely attentive. You never have to ask for anything, as they are already on the case! The Pilot have made some last minute bookings for myself and my friends, and they really made sure everything was done in order to get us in, extremely welcoming. There were 12 of us eating in there on a Saturday night for a friend’s Birthday, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and were delighted with the food, at an affordable price for two courses each. The chef’s certainly pay attention to detail, and it really comes across in the flavours of their food. Their Pinacolada dessert is the best, which comes with pineapples in three ways, simply to die for. The lamb I’ve had several times was pretty special, and lets not forget their excellent Fish&chips– a must try. In general this pub has been a lovely place to go to since it has opened and I shall continue to bring friends here for dinner and lunches and even just for meeting friends for drinks.

1  Thank Foodiejan12
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were very pleased to find such a great restaurant in Penarth. The first 3 meals we had were really very good. It was difficult to choose what to eat, as there were so many tasty, interesting dishes to choose from.
However we returned at the beginning of July with a group of relatives who were staying with us from London. Unfortunately we had raved about the Pilot to them beforehand. We were all very dissapointed. We all felt the meals were very average and uninspiring. Some of the dishes were no longer available even though they were still on the blackboard, such as the mussles. 3 of us had bruschetta's which were stodgy and nothing special. 3 of us also had the chicken with patata's brava's which was very mediocre and the temperature was tepid as though they had been left standing for a long while before being served. The choice of desserts was also dissapointing on this particular evening.
Its such a shame when restaurants start well but they cannot maintain a good standard. We will give it a further try in a few months and we hope what we experienced that night was just a 'one off'.