“It's not posh but..”

Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
London
“It's not posh but..”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Fine for a coffee and a snack, we had soup and a jacket potato and all was fine.
The desserts did look a bit elderly....I'm sure my Belgium bun had actually come from Belgium a few weeks before, but with my new filling everything was ok.
The staff were polite and the view fantastic, it's all a bit dated but comfy like an old pair of your favourite slippers, I'd go there again

• Visited June 2013

hull
“So awful it's funny”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My parents love this place, its five minutes walk for them and they're in their late 70s. The decor is really dated and slightly sticky. When we asked for a hot water we got told they don't do cups of hot water because people bring their own tea bags. Despite arguing, and explaining that I drink hot water and not tea they still declined, eventually giving us a small jug of hot water with a glass of cold water. The food is very basic and not very cheap. Beans on toast for £2.55 (one piece of toast). About £3.50 for a cheese toastie, they wanted to charge £1 extra for adding onion to a cheese sandwich, we stuck with just cheese!
We'll go back because its convenient, not because of the ambiance! It's a pity, it is a great location. I guess that's why they don't have to make much effort. Apparently the same people have the cafe on the pier.

Visited May 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Needs to move into the 21st century!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stepping in here is like going back to the 1970s! It has not changed in all the time I have known it, but seems to survive as it has a captive audience (mainly families using the playground nearby). To say the decor's naff would be an understatement! I think this place needs to learn from the many cafes in Penarth which do so well (Starbucks recently shut down as the population favours the successful independents with good coffee and ambience). People would keep coming and I'm sure would be very impressed with any improvement on the instant coffee, formica tables and stale cakes. With such a fantastic location it can't go wrong with an update!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Hannah M
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“The final straw”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Cioni's has a captive audience as there are no other cafes on the sea front or cliff top. I have been there many times and am always underwhelmed but it serves a purpose, a coffee/snack when visiting Penarth cliff top or sea front. Today, we visited with our 4 yr old grandson ordered and waited and the counter for 2 coffees and was told the hot chocolate would be brought to the table with the food we ordered. The food arrived, I reminded the waitress we were waiting for the hot chocolate. A minute or so later, the waitress walked empty handed from the counter to the table to tell us the hot chocolate was on the counter waiting for us to collect it hence the title of the review, this really was the final straw. In future I will just go without refreshments when visiting Penarth cliff top.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Anne M
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“very relaxing,lovely location”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have made many visits over the years.We usually go for breakfast or a mid afternoon snack.
I have always found the owner, his family and the staff very friendly and efficient.
The coffes are always piping hot and tasty, as is the toast or teacakes that we usually have.
They have old picures from Italy and atmospheric music playing that is not intrusive.The location is fab and there is plenty of free parking. They sell newspapers there and we have spent many an hour drinking and reading in the place.
Yes, the food and drinks are not cheap but if thats what rocks your boat, go to BK or Maccy d,s.
We love the place.