“THE OLIVE TREE PENARTH-FOOD TOO GOOD TO KEEP SECRET”
Review of the olive tree - CLOSED

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

During a short stay in the area, I ate at this restaurant twice. The first meal was so good, I just had to go back to try something else from the menu. I noticed on my second visit that I was not the only one. I recognised a couple I had seen two days before.

The chef is a gem. He knows how to prepare food to be at its best. He is also flexible; if it is possible to deviate from the menu, he will do so to meet individual requirements. Better still, if you know you are eating at The Olive Tree and you have any special requests, phone a day or two before, he said, and he will do his best to provide. I saw him prepare a special meal with two hours notice. It happened he had all the ingredients required available....just how lucky and brilliant is that!

The meals I ate, meat and fish were all made with top quality produce. The fresh vegetables were lovely. The desserts I ate were yummy. What more can be said.

Access from the street into The Olive is fairly straightforward. There is a split level with a few steps. The W.C's are maintained in very good order. There is a very short slope to negotiate into them.

The restaurant is fairly simple in its decor and is nice and bright. Staff are attentive. It was obvious that one member of the waiting staff was new, however, she was very sweet and pleasant.

Highly Recommended. It's worthwhile making a booking, especially later in any week.

1  Thank ZAC_ZACL

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I had been told that the Olive Tree was a nice romantic restaurant with great food, but to be honest its a restaurant with much more to offer. My wife and I have been twice since discovering how good this place is. The welcome is nice and friendly when you walk in and the staff who wait on you do a very very good job. However, all this would be nothing without the excellent food which we received. Nicely presented and NOT small portions like some restaurants you find.

The chef came out a couple of times to meet customers and its nice that he takes pride in the fact that customers are enjoying his excellent prepared food.

We are in Penarth most weekends and will be returning to the Olive Tree again soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went here with friends for Sunday lunch on a sunny bank holiday, as a result when we walked in we were the only people, which in the past we have found to be a negative sign, but we were pleasantly surprised.

There were 4 adults and a 6 month old baby in our party. Thank fully we had called ahead to book & they had advised they didn't have any high chairs available, which meant we had to take our own with us, which was a little inconvenient. So be warned if you're planning on going with babies/young children, and I think is the one improvement they should make to invest. In a couple of high chairs.

The waitress was very friendly & polite & gave us very good service, which was easy given that we were the only guests! There was some confusion as we initially tried ordering starters from the specials board, however were then told they were only for the evening, so we had to change our choices. However as a very nice and welcomed apology for the confusion the chef gave us some spicy wings (which we had tried ordering) on the house as a pre starter & they were delicious.

Other starters we enjoyed were the tomato soup & the asparagus which were both very tasty. My wife loves asparagus & found them to be cooked to perfection, something which she says rarely. We all enjoyed roast dinners for the main course, again, the meat & veg were all delicious & the portion was very generous. The chef even came out to check we were happy with the dinner and was a very nice gentleman.

In summary, the service was very good, the food was delicious (we'll definitely be returning in the near future), and the value for money was excellent, the volume of food for the price was outstanding.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Dined with a large family party and everyone enjoyed their meals. The chicken (I had) was excellent quality. Others had fish which was beautifully cooked. Will definitely return soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Kids away and we went to this restaurant for the first time for Sunday lunch. We had always wanted to go here and were now a little cautious as we heard changes had been made. Shouldn't have worried though, we were greeted nicely at the door and shown to a quiet table. Fantastic warm bread to help us when we decided what to order. I ordered a lovely starter of bajan fishcakes (reminded me of holidays past, very authentic) and my wife ordered a salad with pink grapefruit, watermelon and feta cheese with a delicate dressing. We both had the roast lamb main course that came with lots of perfectly cooked veg and extra gravy in a jug. This place has simple décor and it is all about the friendly environment and excellent food. The chef came past our table twice and asked how things were. We really enjoyed this meal and will definitely go back for an evening dinner also before too long. Wish we had been earlier. Great to have local restaurants like this in Penarth.