“Try somewhere else.”

The Beach House Hotel
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Only popped in for breakfast as we wanted to try somewhere new in Penarth, but we will not be returning. We were totally ignored for an age. When ordering we wanted to make a slight change to the order to be informed they could not do it. It was one change which if requested we would have paid extra. So we just went somewhere else. At no stage did the staff attempt to explain why, our assumption was due to food being microwaved.. Its a shame as location is good but staff can ruin a place and we will not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rhooseboy

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I want to give the place a good review. But I can't.
It wasn't particularly busy and yet after sitting with the previous seat occupiers dirty dishes for ten minutes I cleared them myself.
It was twenty minutes before I could tempt someone over to take our order and it took an absurd amount of time to bring over two coffees and two waters. In the end, I had to get the hot milk for our white coffees myself, I couldn't wait anymore.
My friend had the Sunday Roast and she was complementary about the vegatables however, the meat was a large percentage of fat and so it was a chore to eat. I had the fish and chips, which was lovely once I'd used the napkin to wipe up all the greece, but I had to go and ask for the tartare sauce.
Overall, we didn't leave satisfied with the experience. At no time did anyone say "Is everything ok?" or "Is there anything I can get you", the policy seems to be to provide the bare minimum...slowly. A little more needs to be done by them in training their staff to be effective customer service providers. It almost felt like there was an air of resentment with some of the younger workers that they had to be in on Sunday. In addition, the restaurant was not particulary hygienic. You can see efforts have been made to decorate the place, but time isn't spent maintaining.
If you have an endless amount of time (we were there two hours and I chased, a lot) or you don't mind chasing every part of your meal down then the experience was satisfactory. Don't go there if you are expecting high quality customer service, at least, not at the moment.
Lovely view though.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cerian E
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My friends and I have dined here on numerous occasions. Six of us dined to celebrate two of our birthdays. I love the atmosphere in the restaurant, it's warm and friendly, the staff are very attentive but not too in you face. The food is deliciously tasty, steaks cooked to our desired preferences, piping hot and jsut enough to fill you up. I will definitely dine here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2011

From my experience, I think some of the reviews here are really harsh. I'm glad I wasn't put off by them when I decided to try it. The staff were really friendly & genuine & we had great service. Nice cosy, buzzy atmosphere & lovely location. The food was good, they lost a couple of points as they used sachets for their sauces....never a good idea! Would definitely go back

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karen b
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My mother, sister were the first people to enter the restaurant and ordered our food from a waitress and after finishing our starters we found these still on our table for another hour. During this time the waitress and waiter continued to serve other customers and ignored us. It took my mother to get up from the table and ask where our main course was for a waiter to finally remove the starter dishes. No apology and another couple served their mains we had enough and got up from our chairs and made our way out of the building. 5mins down the road the manager ran towards us shouting. We explained how poor the service was and we were then told in no uncertain terms how busy he was and that we should take a step in his shoes.

I would strongly urge anyone to avoid this place and go to The Fig Tree where the customer service and food are far far more superior.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ToffeeBluebird
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I've never written a review before but this place is so bad I feel I have to warn you.

It is very expensive but even if it was just a pound a meal it would be too much.

The food is just so bad. The curry is straight from a catering pack. The sausages are devoid of meat. The presentation is appalling and the service miserably poor.

A cone of chips is gourmet in comparison.

Utter rubbish. A waste of time and money.

Don't eat there. You'll regret it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill S
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stopped here for lunch on a warm summer day whilst touring the area. Sat outside on the terrace overlooking the sea, which was pleasant, whilst we waited for our granary bread sandwiches and side order of chips to arrive. We watched the staff carrying plates of uncovered cooked food along the road to the adjacent cafe (which I presume was also owned by the hotel), and other customers arriving at this hotel, ordering their food, and receiving it before ours! Another waitress walked back from the cafe carrying an uncovered plate with ham on it just before a waiter came out to apologise they had no ham. We queried it and told him it had just been brought in. 5 minutes later the sandwiches came out - one on white and one on brown bread which we sent back asking for granary bread. A few minutes later they were returned, both with brown bread, but told it was granary. We pointed this out and noted another order being delivered with granary bread. My wife went into the restaurant to complain only to hear the kitchen staff shouting & arguing about the bread! The manageress came out to apologise but in an unpleasant tone of voice and far from being concerned about it. Our sandwiches finally arrived as ordered but the bread was dry and falling apart. Had we thought we would get a better service from the neighbouring cafe we would have returned the food and demanded our money back. In fairness the chips were very nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple