“Peaceful”

St. Winefride's Well
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Holywell
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Traditionally, St. Winifrede's Well has been one of the seven wonders of Wales. Modern pilgrims are not required to believe St. Winefride's legend literally. Nevertheless, it is a story that is full of symbolism. The exhibition is informative and the well shine itself is a lovely peaceful place of quiet contemplation.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

There is ample parking in a car park opposite the well.
The admission charge was well worth it at 80p an adult - you could help yourself to the water if you brought your own bottle.

We can also recommend the lovely cafe next door - The Mill on the Hill x

1  Thank sueperstarring
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We called here this am and found a most beautiful peaceful place. It was very quiet as we arrived early. Amazing things have happened here and you are welcome to partake of the icy water by plunging in 3 times. I did manage to get my feet and hands in and get a bottle of holy water from from the well. I would like to return if I lived near I would certainly visit often. The shop and coffee shop are excellent and overall I would definitely recommend.

2  Thank chrissym122
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

For centuries people have gathered here and apparently been cured of all kinds of ailments. It only costs about 80p to get in and £1.99 for a holy water bottle. This beats Lourdes! I dipped my feet in the pool and nearly stripped off to jump in it's freezing waters. The well was on top form with loads of water seeping up. They built a church right on top. The well is under the vaulted arches. The legend has it that st Winifred was assaulted by a local chieftain but her brother took his revenge. Not sure about the truth of the story about her head being chopped off and then her coming back to life! Good walks around here too although you get the impression that it's a bit dilapidated.

3  Thank Caustonator
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Been here a few times, once when I was a kid, then again when returning to the area, on the north Wales coast, amazing how few local people know about it considering its religious importance by local I mean Wirral, Merseyside, Cheshire. It is a good place to visit and interesting don't forget your bottle to fill up.
Looking deeper into the story of St Winifred there is a second much smaller and quite remote Well near Oswestry I went on a drive one Sunday to find it and did fairly easily, if interested do some research and go.