“Great place to stay”
Review of Holy Smoke Resort

Holy Smoke Resort
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our group stayed in 15A & B which is the middle cabin at the very top of the hill. It's a pretty steep road to get up to the top cabins but we never had a problem getting up the hill and the benefits were great. There were deer and wild turkeys that would walk behind our cabins and you could hear the road noise but it never really bothered us and we never heard it in our room. Our rooms were always cleaned by the time we came back at the end of the day with a bouquet of wild flowers on our table the one day. The loft worked great for kids, though the stairs are very steep and we did buy a nightlight in case someone needed to come down them in the middle of the night. There were only a couple things that we thought could use some improvement. The beds seemed to have noisy box springs so you could hear whenever someone turned over. I had heard previous reviews about the mattress not being comfortable but I think it's a personal preference because I thought the mattress was fine but my husband didn't like it. I think they should add a black out blind option to the windows. We were travelling with young kids and they were up when the sun came up because the curtains in the loft were lace and didn't keep any light out.

Overall the beds and curtains were minor things. It's great for traveling with a group as you can have separate rooms but you have a common deck to hangout on. If you like the outdoors and being away from all the crowds this is a great place. Overall we had a great stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 12, 2012

As prior B&B owners we always look for the little things that show how much an owner cares about their guests. Situated on a hillside well off the road, the cabin we stayed in was clean, comfortable, and offered everything we needed to make for an enjoyable stay - comfortable bed, extra linens, plenty of towels, refrigerator, microwave, it's hard to list everything. A lot of thought and hard work has gone into providing for guests' comfort. The restaurant is an added bonus, with the best steak we've ever tasted. Good work Dani!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I read some of the other reviews. As far as the highway being noisy, yes it is. I'm sitting on the deck of a cabin right now writing this under these beautiful stars and all I can hear is highway noise and crickets. I couldn't hear it at all in the cabin and it had zero affect on my ability to sleep. The resort is located on a major black hills highway. Most of Mt Rushmore's 3 million annual visitors are going to have to drive past it. As far as poor wi-fi, like I said I am sitting on the deck, right now, using the wi-fi and have had no problems with it. I don't know about the other cabins but mine is fine. As far as the beds being hard, yes, they are. If I owned the resort and had to pick out beds, I probably would have chose something a little softer. Everybody has their own bed firmness preference and these I would say are very firm. I was able to get comfortable and sleep fine on it. You haven't slept on a hard surface until you have slept on the ground in a tent and there is no comparison. It is a bed and it is softer than the ground. I didn't have much contact with the staff but I was given a decent discount for staying more than one night. I didn't eat in the restaurant so I won't comment on it. The cleaning staff made up the room nice while we were gone. The cabin was very clean. We had to take quick showers because we only had a 20 gallon water heater. It could be a problem if several people had to shower but hey, it is supposed to be a cabin in the woods, not a hotel suite. I've had to shower in camp grounds before with no hot water. THAT was uncomfortable, this was fine. Also, we had heat and air-conditioning, both of which worked fine. So in summary, it was a decent value, friendly staff, beautiful surroundings, hard beds, loud highway. Like i said before, it is supposed to be a cabin in the woods. If a few very minor inconveniences will ruin your stay, the nasty tourist trap known as Keystone is a couple of miles down the road. There are plenty of overpriced hotels there.

Room Tip: The further back you go in the resort, the steeper the incline gets. I heard a few cars struggling...
1  Thank Sunshine81
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Great campground for exploring the Black Hills, close to everything. Had reservations for 4 nights but had to leave after 3. Unlike a hotel where an early checkout is possible, here it is considered a cancelation and you forfeit the remaining paid nights. If you must leave early, 72 hours notice to the management is necessary. The RV pad is gravel and is not level. Bring boards to place under leveling jacks. Water is from a well and the pressure is low. Very limited or no wifi in campground. The office is open from 2:30 pm to 8:00 pm.

1  Thank Ken V
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had reservations for the RV park at Holy Smoke Resort but we had to leave our trailer in Nebraska for repairs. We called ahead and Dani was able to switch our reservation to one of the small cabins on the property. The cabin was clean and comfortable with a lovely sized deck that we enjoyed using most evenings. The restaurant was great also. I would recommend this for anyone wanting comfortable accommodations that are family and dog friendly.

1  Thank Tracy R
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Holy Smoke Resort was a pleasant surprise. We rented one half of a duplex cabin which was perfect for two adults and two children, although our early-risers may have created an annoyance for the people staying in the other half!

The cabins are clean and have all of the basic amenities. A microwave and refrigerator allow for fun snacks and a hotel-style coffee maker will satisfy your morning caffeine cravings. The beds were comfortable and our only concern was the steep stairway from the loft down to the main floor. Keeping our kids from playing on these was nearly impossible, but we are happy to report no broken bones!

The Holy Smoke Resort is located just a short distance from most Black Hills attractions and there are hiking opportunities within the park itself. The cabins and bedding were clean and everything was in working order. Two of us were THRILLED with the limited television options and the lack of Nickelodeon! One quick thing to mention -- the office is located at the restaurant, just north of the actual campground.

Room Tip: I would avoid Cabin 14 like the plague. Although it is clearly labeled, "This is not the office...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SCC57501
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Our family spent 3 days at Holy Smoke Resort. The cabins are immaculate and the food was wonderful. We`ll be back!!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
2 mi away
#1 of 9 in Keystone
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Holy Smoke Resort? Share your experiences!