“Decided to stay extra day...excellent..despite cost being more than we are used to paying we loved this place.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of K Bar S Lodge

K Bar S Lodge
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

cost much more than we really wanted to spend but immediately decided to stay another day after we saw the balcony room and beautiful view. Clean place with beautiful weather, wild life and wonderful smells in the air. No Internet or telephone services for my carrier Sprint for days. This was the best stay of our vacation and my husband who rarely relaxes...relaxed. take binoculars so you can see george washington from balcony view room at Mt rushmore.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank SPRINGFIELDILLINOIS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at K Bar S Lodge so much, we booked a room for our return trip home. The Lodge is tranquil and relaxing with beautiful scenery. The balcony of our room had a side view of Mount Rushmore. It was amazing. The Lodge is only a couple of minutes drive from Keystone, but without the noise and commercialism. The Continental breakfast was good and the front desk was very helpful. The rooms were very clean and had a refrigerator for those interested.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane P
Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband, grandson and I recently took a quick trip to the Black Hills so our grandson could visit Bear Country again (he loves Bear Country). I decided to look for a place outside of Rapid City this time and read the reviews for the K Bar S Lodge and decided to give the place a try.

I got a discount if I booked on a Monday so I did that. It was a quiet and clean location.

My grandson loved the wildlife on the grounds. One evening a deer walked up to him as he was heading to the fire pit to see if one of the boys he had met the night before was there.

We took a walk on one of the trails after dinner and managed to get to the train tracks in time to wave to the people returning from Hill City on the 1880s train. We even got a pizza recommendation from the desk clerk because that is what our grandson wanted for dinner. It was a little pricey but good.

Based on reviews I read before heading there I took an ethernet cable for my laptop knowing there wasn't wi-fi service in the rooms. However we were pleasantly surprised to have decent cell service because you never know what reception you will get in SD.

It has been the nicest location that we have stayed at while visiting the Black Hills region off and on for over ten years. Wish we had discovered it sooner.

Rooms
2 Thank Marie W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were traveling west and decided to take an extra evening for ourselves and were thrilled to have found such a beautiful and clean place to stay!! The view of the mountain was amazing! Very friendly staff!!
We will be back next summer with kids!!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SSwanstrom8
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We saw the great reviews here and called up to get a room for the 4th of July weekend. We were fortunate to get the only room open and that was only due to a last minute cancellation. After having stayed there I can totally see why they book up so quickly! This cozy yet very well appointed lodge is tucked into the beautiful pine forest just outside of the downtown area of Keystone. Quiet and serene surroundings made for a very pleasant stay. We were told our room would be in the recently upgraded building - all new features, the room was beautifully done, and super clean. And the bonus was to have a view of Rushmore off of our balcony - even better at night when they light it up! The front desk staff was super friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. The included breakfast was tasty and filling - continental style with make your own belgian waffles and two different hot items each day. Breakfast was in their glass enclosed event room with a lovely view of the forest, some wild turkeys roaming the grounds, and with the option to sit outside to enjoy the cool morning air too. And at night you could pick up a smores kit and sit by the large fire pit on their main lawn. The only thing we couldn't get in our room was wi-fi service. Unless you were in the lobby of the main lodge you couldn't get a signal. I asked the staff and was told it was something they were definitely going to improve upon in the future; and that technology improvements were slow to come to their area, having only just received cell reception 2 years ago. But this was pretty much the case for everywhere in SD - sometimes you had bars and sometimes you didn't. No matter as it was very nice to "disconnect" for a while. We couldn't see it all in our short trip there so we plan to come back and stay here next time too. Highly recommend the K Bar S lodge!

Room Tip: Ask for the first or second building near the entrance, top floor, and with Mt. Rushmore view.
1 Thank Lisa G
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We recently visited Mount Rushmore and stayed one night at the K Bar S Lodge. I made the reservation based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. The lodge is located just a short walking distance from Keystone town and around the block from the steam train ride. I booked a queen room with a profile view of Mount Rushmore. You were able to see Washington and Jefferson profile from far away. It was cool when it was lit up at night. We were on the second floor, but the set up is such that you park and can roll your suitcases on a ramp that is on the second floor level. The front desk told me that it was tough to get internet in my room without an ethernet cable, so I was given one for the night to plug in my laptop, with no problems. The breakfast was plentiful and varied, provided in a beautiful room with a mountain view. Great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachbumLongIsland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were there for two nights. Got a room overlooking Mount Rushmore. View was a little distant, but stunning at night when it was lit up. The lodge is less than a mile from the busy town of Keystone, but you would think it was in the middle of nowhere when you arrive. Saw lots of wildlife here. I think there was more to see and do on the lodge grounds, but we ran out of tim.e

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Mt. Rushmore's White House Resort

Been to K Bar S Lodge? Share your experiences!