“Not bad, middle of the road hotel”

Baymont Inn & Suites Keystone Near Mt. Rushmore
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is an older hotel but it has everything you need - fridge (small), microwave etc. It's old but not dirty. They think their inroom whirlpools are pretty special but personally I think these are outdated.TV's are older style and not much of a selection.
Good parking, free laundry and you can see the mountain from some of the rooms.
We arrived late at night and drove around trying to find something, chose this place as it wasn't overpriced.
I wouldn't stay here on purpose but for a visit of two days to Rushmore it's close to the monument (5 mins drive) and an easy place to stay.

Room Tip: the rooms on level three can see the monument
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Baymont Inn & Suites Keystone Near Mt. Rushmore

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in the off season relatively speaking, June. Check in was very interesting as we went there without any reservations and stayed for a week. That was not a problem except when we opened the room door with the key card given to us there was already someones luggage in the room. With a crappy look on my face I went to resolve the issue, afterall, I didn't want to bunk with someone else. The staff resolved that very quick and apologized but I kept that in mind and always took my valuables with me just in case they made the same mistake an the person entering my room may not have been as honest as me.

The rooms were adequate for me and my companion but we didnot spend a lot of time in them except for sleep. Which we have no complaints about as it was off season yet. I enjoyed the convenience of walking into town to grab a bite to eat.

Overall, i would probably stay there again if the place where you actually can see the presidents is still closed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Well,after 14 days of staying at the MOTEL, I can say "All the staff was exceptionally great." However, Jim Stellars, Manager, whom we never saw, really needs to put an effort into the hotel. Yes, the hotel has been updated in the past 10 years, but because the rooms are so small, you can only fit 2 double beds inthe room. The beds are old, hmm, we brought with us, new eggs crates to make the beds more comfortable, and clean mattress pads. the hotels, I should say Motel, like Motel 6, comes with soap, and that is it. But staying 14 days, I really wanted my own stuff. To make our rooms smell better, we brought our own air deoderizer for the room The bedspreads are nasty and old. I removed them, and made them bring in an extra sheet (and they were clean), and it made feel like a nice hotel, you know, fitted sheet, sheet, blanket, top sheet. I heard remarks about the bedspreads, and out they went from my room. The staff, cleaning people were great. However, Monique and Randy went out of their way to make sure everything was ok. In todays enviroment, most hotels, offer more than just coffee. This Motel should do the same. Not everyone has a good view, that is the way it is, My view was a rock wall, but that was no problem, because I wasn't in the room except to sleep. The good thing, is it had a refrigerater, and I used it for storing food I purchased at the grocery store for breakfast every morning. Motel should put this in there advertisement. But more important, They need to get rid of the nasty decor, and just use coverlets, and wash them after every use.

Room Tip: Small, for families, double beds, unless you get a king.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laura L
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel was probably one of the worst hotels I have ever been in. This place was a lot worse than the crack house hotel. The rooms were extra small, they had bugs walking around in the hotel like they own the place and the hotel workers act like they know the bugs by name because they walk away from the bugs nonchalantly instead of getting rid of the pests. The pool was green and they call that normal... (confused and curious to see what's dirty to them). The front desk attendants were rude and lazy. The bed covers were never changed or washed since 1890. I had to clean my own room because housekeeping didn't know what cleaning was. The key card was really annoying. We had to get up every morning and reactivate the cards. The laundry room was filthy and smelly. You would think they would be able to keep that clean. I haven't seen them clean the laundry room since I got to that hotel and we stayed for 5 days (not by choice, there were no vacancies in any other hotels that week). They would not accomodate you with anything. They would not give refunds but would give you a credit.... (ummm a credit would mean I would have to come back and use it again over there.. NO!) I would never ever use this place again, even if it was the last hotel standing, I would rather camp outside with the bugs (and I hate bugs) than to go back to this place. At least outside I would have more walking room. I don't know why they would call themselves a resort because this was more like a jail. It was so bad I never stayed in the room until I had to go to sleep. As soon as I woke up I ran out that hotel.

Room Tip: Tip???? Don't go there.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Curious_Starr
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Monique and randy were always super helpful!!! All staff nice EXCEPT Chad!!! Rude and cocky. Walked around in pj's in morning - a mess! Rooms were small but clean. Blankets and bedspreads need to be replaced. Their a bit rough

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Presiden't view had nice staff and the rooms were clean. That is the only good thing I can say about it. They first messed up our reservation and then the GM was the only one who could do anything about it because the Sturgis Bike ralley started the next week. Since it was the weekend before the ralley the rates were doubled. We paid $200 for one night in one of thier "suits". They were small and the beds were hard as a rock. Pillow top my foot. They don't even serve a continental breakfast. Now, the pool in the pictures is so pretty but it was nasty dirty. It had a film on it and the hot tub was just as gross. The floor was so so slippery that I actually fell and hurt my knee. We will never stay at that place again no matter how nice the staff was. Its not worth a crappy nice sleep for that price. Oh and the fire place wasn't a real one and it didn't put out any heat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Room Cost was exorbitant. Accommodations were adequate. For the price you would think that they would include some sort of breakfast, even if just a danish. Was supposed to have a view of Mt Rushmore from room, maybe if I had the Hubble Telescope
i could have seen it.

Room Tip: If you can avoid this hotel do it. Room cost high and accommodations mediocre.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family