“Good Interenet, lousy everything else”

Super 8 Keystone/Mt. Rushmore
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This is the first one star review I've given to a motel/hotel. Although I've traveled a lot, I haven't had too many unfortunate hotel stays but this was one. On the plus side it had a close location to Mt. Rushmore, and it's free internet was very fast, maybe I was just close to the router. On the down side it was very noisy, being on a main highway into Rushmore you'll hear every motorcycle and noisy vehicle that goes by, and there are a lot of them. The carpet on the hallway outside our room was completely gone, just a wood floor, but perhaps most irratating was the fact that the innkeepers seemed befuddled by their own computer system. Check in took almost 45 minutes. 15 minutes for each of the 2 people in line when we got there and 15 minutes for us. Lastly we are Trip Reward Members because I usually find Super 8's a good value hotel. Not this one. It was by far the most expensive Super 8 I've stayed in and in the worst condition of any Super 8 I've stayed at. While it is in an expensive town and Keystone motels are expensive during the summer on a return trip I would quickly pay up for different and better digs.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 28, 2009

I booked a room at this property because of its' central location in the black hills area. The hotel is two miles from the entrance to Mt Rushmore and everything else is within 30 minutes driving time. We had no trouble finding the motel, there is one main road through Keystone and all the major hotels are situated within one mile.
Check in was trouble-free, the receptionist had our reservation information and quickly checked us in. We were given a room on the ground floor and we parked our car directly outside our door, which made getting settled in quite easy. Our room was non-smoking with two queen beds, just as we requested. It was clean, spacious and quiet. I occasionally heard footsteps in the room above us but never anything to keep us awake at night. We did not have trouble with TV reception as one other reviewer stated. Our room was cleaned and our used towels were replaced every day. The bathroom was clean and everything worked as it should have.
We stayed three nights and the only thing the room lacked was a refrigerator to keep our perishable food in. There is an ice maker on the ground floor and we just used our cooler. A continental breakfast was included and it included cold and instant hot cereals, apples and oranges. Drinks offered were orange juice, coffee, milk and tea. The dining area is clean but very small. We just took our food back to our room since it was so close. The hotel staff, a married couple from Texas, were very friendly and treated everyone like good neighbors. All in all, this motel was a good place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a decent place to stay at a reasonable price. Our AAA rate was $67/night with tax included.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CA2rista
Reviewed November 19, 2007

WOW! This hotel is a step back in time. Unfortunately, it is just an old worn out hotel.

Bedding - worn out
Furniture - worn out
Towels - worn out
Carpet - worn to threads

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. It is right in the middle of the Black Hills. Everything is within a 30 minute drive.

This hotel looks like a 1960's Howard Johnson. It smells like a 1960's Howard Johnson. AVOID IT LIKE A 1960'S HOWARD JOHNSON MOTEL!!!

You have been warned!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2007

I was up in the air about this motel after reading the reveues.
From the moment we arrived we were treated very well. The staff was friendly. Our room was cleaned daily. Never felt like we had to ask for anything. We also always had plenty of towels. Which towels always seem to be a problem at other motels. My family stayed 4 nights at this motel and we would go back again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We had a bad experience with our room, so the manager was supposed to call us... but she never did.

We also found out as we were leaving that there was a continental breakfast included with our stay, though we were never informed of this.

I would recommend staying in Custer instead of Keystone. Much less "schmaltzy".

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed July 5, 2007

This Super 8 may be a little older but it was all we needed for one night. It is fairly clean and maintained. I think I paid $117 online including all taxes and fees, which to me is a little overpriced for this motel. It is only a few miles from the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial but there are numerous other motels/hotels on the same main street. The town of Keystone itself seemed to be an older, western type town nestled between mountains, plenty of things to see and do in it. There was a little strip shopping/eating center, Keystone Mall, right beside the motel with gift shops, an old time photo shop, and numerous fast food and sit down restaurants, which was very convenient. Super 8 had an indoor pool but we did not have time to visit it. Their breakfast room was very, very small and crowded, but they had plenty of breakfast available the next morning. I would recommend this Super 8 to anyone who just needed the basics and if you could get a better price than I did. The office staff seemed friendly and were helpful.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank luv2travel39
Reviewed August 15, 2006

his is easily the worst hotel we stayed at during our entire trip to S Dakota. Not only was it considerably more money than comparable rooms in the area, but it offered less than most $35 a night motels. The sink backed up and overflowed. Half the cable(local)channels on TV didn't come in. The phone didn't work. No fridge in room. The cont. breakfast served stale doughnuts. We tried to get a refund an hour after checking in after finding the room not up to par for a $80/night room. For this the manager and owner were openly hostile and basically accused us of lying and trying to scam them by asking for a refund. As if I'm running some devious scam by traveling around S. Dakota spending an hour in a room and then asking for a refund. Whatever.
If rude lousy service and overpriced [--------] rooms are your thing, than this is your place.

Stayed: August 2006