“There are bugs in this not so super hotel”

Super 8 Keystone/Mt. Rushmore
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I'm sitting in my bed at the super 8 while I write this. Why an I not sleeping at 6:35 in the morning? Because I woke up and checked my phone and while sitting in the dark with only the light of my phone on just enjoying between sleep sessions and an unidentified bug scampered across the screen and disappeared before I could get three light on. ewwwwww we went on the crazy horse Mt Rushmore loop yesterday and when we got back I found four of these bugs lurking around. One on my bed. One on the counter of the sink and two in the sink. I'm not comfortable sleeping right now.

The pool and hot tub are great. That's the end of the good qualities.

No mini fridge.
No microwave.
Only ten channels on janky TV that has a cracking surge pop through it every few minutes. Its probably a fire hazard.

Oh yeah! And when we asked the dude (his name is Randy) about the bugs earlier today... He said "Don't worry about them. We spray."

We came to keystone to see wildlife, not to share a room with it.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This motel was very convenient for our plans to view the MT. Rushmore evening lighting ceremony. Nice room, friendly desk clerk and better than usual breakfast selections in the morning. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JodyFuller
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Nice place with clean rooms, but missing several things like drinking cups, 1x shampoo for2persons and no conditioner. When i was toasting my wafel it was 9 and the lady took everything away inclusive sirup. She was really not friendly. next time i'll take another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We made reservations for this motel the night before our arrival. After shopping around online and calling several locations we decided on this Super 8. We called the motel to make the reservations and by asking for specials/discounts/current prices we were able to book a suite for 5 people for a very reasonable price (especially compared to surrounding hotels/motels in Keystone). The rooms were standard with basic accommodations. We did have a refrigerator and microwave, and the room seemed basically clean, but the carpets and curtains could have been cleaner. The free continental breakfast was very basic, but adequate enough to get you up and moving in the morning. We really enjoyed the location and its easy access to Mount Rushmore and surrounding attractions and restaurants (it's right next door to a Subway and a DQ). We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Room was a tad expensive at $112.00 a night, check in took quite awhile as only one person working and phones were ringing, computer was frozen and other travelers checking in. Room is in need of desperate renovation, really old, air conditioning was sporatic for cooling. The swimming pool was on the 2nd story of a 3 story building, it was clean and nice and warm. Once again a Super 8 breakfast was included in the price but really wasn't worth going to, prepackaged Super 8 cinnamon rolls, toaster waffles, apples,bananas, juices, yogurt and cereal. My daughter said ewww and went to Subway which is a few doors up

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I cannot criticize anything really as the staff were great and the room was large, comfortable and clean, plus the location is excellent for visiting Mt. Rushmore, but I think that it is very expensive as it is only a motel. We paid over 190 USD for one night (kingsize bed, private bathroom, including tax) and compared to the fantastic suite we got in a mansion in Denver the following night for which we paid 170 USD final price, it makes the super 8 very expensive

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TL_Manager-2012, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 Keystone/Mt. Rushmore, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

FrancescaMatt,

The Super 8 staff appreciates your time to give a review on the hotel. I am very happy that you noticed the cleanliness of our rooms which is something we put great effort in to achieve. The price range does go higher during the Sturgis motorcycle rally because demand is increased greatly. The location of our hotel is very convenient when visiting Mt. Rushmore because the Super 8 is the closest hotel to Mt. Rushmore National Memorial. Thanks again for the review, and we all hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Kody

Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Location is the best thing this motel has going for it. The parking lot is a bear to navigate and find a parking spot. We were on the 3rd floor with NO elevator. Stairs on the outside of the building. There was a huge storm when we arrived and the stairs leading to the room were sopping wet! The drink machines were out of water. The ice machine was on the 2nd floor. The indoor "heated" pool was too cold to swim in. The rooms were spacious but the bathroom hardly had room enough to turn around in. The breakfast area was very small with minimal room to sit down and eat. Close to Mt Rushmore.

• Stayed: July 2012
TL_Manager-2012, Public Relations Manager at Super 8 Keystone/Mt. Rushmore, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Cnskap,

I appreciate that you took time out of your busy day to give the Super 8 a review. These reviews are very important to us because they allow us the chance to improve all of our guests stay. The location of our hotel is very nice and convenient being the closest to Mt. Rushmore. I do apologize for the wet stairs but thats South Dakota one second it can be bright sunshine the next raining. The ice machine being on the second floor was the fairest way we could do it for patrons on the 1st and 3rd floors to have an equal distance. Our breakfast area meets brand standards for occupancy and we allow guests to take breakfast back to their own rooms as well I apologize you found it undesirable. Lastly I would like to thank you once again for doing the review and staying at the Keystone Super 8

Kody