“As expected”

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
London, United Kingdom
“As expected”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Nothing great about this motel.It was just like any other Super 8. I was shocked at the price. Perhaps, it was because it was close to a major attraction. The room was not too clean and neither too dirty. The breakfast was simple and enough to get started on our day. The location was very convenient to visit Mt. Rushmore. There were quite a few places around to eat. This motel does not have any elevator so we took a 1st floor room. Our door opened to the car park and hence we cudn't open our curtains. It felt safe at night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I just had to write a review after reading some of the others on here.

First of all this is a SUPER 8 not the Ritz. If you If you want luxury spend more and stay somewhere else. If you want an adequately clean room, CONTINENTAL breakfast and decent staff this hotel should suit you well. Most folks know what to expect with Super 8 or a hotel of this caliber. And that's what you get.

Let me start by saying we didn't book here first, but because the pool and hot tub at the Travelodge nearby were not up and running for the season, we decided to look elsewhere. We had booked that hotel for that very reason so they were pleasant at the Travelodge when we wanted out of our reservation there. In fact, they were very friendly and I will be posting a review for them based on their courteousness even though we didn't end up staying there. However, the folks at Super 8 were very accomodating too. When i told them of my dilemma they were happy to show me their indoor pool and hot tub as well as a room AND match the super rate I had gotten at Travelodge with AAA.

I asked what they offered for breakfast because I know what CONTINENTAL means. Some places have expanded continental with hard boiled eggs, etc. but this place only had carbohydrates but there were many options...oatmeal, cold cereal, muffins and the like. Even some fruit, albeit the smallest apples I had ever seen! It was certainly fine and if something ran out, they were more than happy to assist in getting us some more-just had to ask!!

Wi-fi worked fine as well. Housekeeping was freindly and gave us anything we asked for since we did not require room cleaning for the three days we werre there. TV channels were adequate-had HBO. Who goes there to watch Tv anyway?? Hot tub was small but clean and not foamy. It was hot and had decent jets. Pool was cool but it wasn't advertised as a heated pool!

All in all the stay was better than I expected. It was a perfect location and I enjoyed sitting outside the room on the chair provided to watch others scurry by while enjoying the cool breeze after a visit t the hot tub. When it did warm up a bit the A/C in the room worked great but was a bit on the noisy side, however the humm did nothing but lull me to sleep!

I don't usually stay at Super 8 now that I can afford better, but I do appreciate their efforts and wanted to share my experience for others. So just check it out for yourself! If it's not your cup of tea move on...for more than three times the money you can stay at the Holiday Inn Express down the road which I hear have very nice rooms. I kept them in mind in case I felt I needed to move, but I'm glad I didn't.

The only negative is that it would be nice to be greeted by a "Good Morning" once in a while when going in for breakfast as a paying customer. But I found that people in general in South Dakota didn't have the gracious hospitality that we do here in the south. So it wasn't limited to the Super 8 and by comparison they were as friendly as most others we encountered on the trip. Come visit NC and we'll show you some good ole Southern hospitality, YA'LL!

Hope this review helped! I LOVE tripadvisor. It helped make the trip a great one. SD was awesome!!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CarolinaCoast
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed June 11, 2011

shabby, needs repair, needs cleaned , replace the bedding, clean the hot tub--all foam-no internet, no hot breakfast, staff did not care- to many stairs and poor parking, try another hotel, Super 8 blew this one

Room Tip: not worth your time
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank lovetotravel7038

Travelers are raving about these Keystone hotels

omaha, ne
Reviewed June 10, 2011

All the staff was wonderful and very helpful, the room was good and the pool was amazing

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
colorado
Reviewed June 8, 2011

you got to be kidding?? no internet--cold breakfast only, was out of most items, not a sprite on the property--dirty , long wak to pool -- staff was not helpful
rates were high, thin sheets and bed spreads need replaced, needs cleaned--this place took the fun out of the trip

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Montana
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We got a king room that was an ad-on, great for no noise but it was not well insulated and the heating unit was not enough for the cold weather. I froze. The windows also did not have light blocking curtains just mini blinds so when the sun came up we were up. Sun blocking curtains can be purchased reasonably at Wal-mart would recommend management do so. They also need to get some electric baseboard heaters. Other than that the room was nice. Bottom of tub needed to be scrubbed. Scrub brush and Dow Scrubbing bubbles will do wonders.
It was nicer than expected for a Super 8 and I do not think any of the other rooms have any of the issues we experienced, except maybe the bathtub issue. The staff was very very friendly and very helpful. They did give me another blanket for the bed when I asked. Should have switched rooms but I thought it would heat up. Breakfast could be a little better but was adequate. Everything in the town is mostly shut down in mid October so go earlier. Fall colors were beautiful!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderer_not_lost
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during our road trip to Yellowstone and it was one of the cheapest on the trip. We were given an unusual room, which was between floors. It was a very long , but narrow room, but it looked right out over the town and was pleasant.
We had a problem with the air conditioning as the front panel fell off when I switched it on. We reported it to reception and they had a handyman in to fix it within 15 minutes.
We were about 5 minutes drive from Mount Rushmore and about 10 minutes walk from the main part of town. We ate in the Ruby House Restaurant both nights because we had real difficulty in feeding my vegetarian wife. Her meal was adequate, but I had a really good steak.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple