Battle Creek Lodge
$194
HIExpress.com
$119
$109
Powder House Lodge(Keystone)(Great Value!)
$110
Hotels.com
$284
$275
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfire pittammy cinehomemade breakfastblack hillshome away from homeoutdoor spacefrench toastother guestssmall hotelsouth dakota and wyomingchain hotelscuster state parka great place to staypicked this placecute placefresh fruitentire area
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

What a cute and quaint lodge!! The lobby was decorated with antiques and western style pieces. I loved it! I wish we could have made it to breakfast, but after a long drive and dinner in town (walking distance), we slept in. The room was clean, decorated nicely, and met the approval of the "hotel brat"-- ME!!! It was a little small for our group of 4, but we only slept and got ready the next morning for a new adventure, so it wasn't really inconvenient. I'd certainly stay there again! It's priced for families with a budget!!! *****

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed July 17, 2014

While I was happy with the location and accessibility to downtown....I feel that this establishment could do more to deserve their high trip advisor rating. The beds WERE comfortable but the room was VERY small. The black out curtains and opaque shade made it even seem darker and smaller. The shade broke while we were there and instead of fixing it - they removed it. I had my kids very excited about the breakfast but it was very average. Biscuits and gravy were served the first morning and I mentioned to Tammy that the kids were "hoping" for the homemade cinnamon rolls the next day. The next morning she told me that there she did not have the ingredients for cinnamon rolls so she served pillsbury type (not homemade) turnovers. Finally I mentioned that we were headed to Cheyenne the next day via Hot Springs. Tammy said that she traveled their quite often and urged me to take another route. We were delayed for over 2 hours due to road work that had been going on for months and was scheduled to be completed in 2015. Seems that she might have known about this?

I am not usually a complainer. Most all of my trip advisor reviews have been glowing. The reviews and description for this property heightened my expectations. It was not bad - just very average.

5  Thank Erinn C
TammyInKeystone, Managing Partner at Battle Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear Erin ~
Thank you for taking time to post your review. We hope you enjoyed your time in the Black Hills and regret you did enjoy your time with us more.

I would like to address a couple of specific issues you spoke about in your review, but first I would like to speak of a broad issue that your review brings up -- That is the issue of expectations. I have brought this up in earlier reviews, but it remains something that we struggle with.
Sites such as "tripadvisor", or other review sites, are often a double edged sword. From the vantage point of a both a traveler and a business owner, they can be a VERY valuable tool. Generally speaking, review sites can really help a small business such as ours. It helps, not only with exposure , but also with helping us keep a pulse on what is and isn't working for our guests -- what needs attention and what should be left the way it is.

The flip side is that often times, people will see reviews on line and they start to base their expectations on what people have said or what they have read on line from 3rd party sources. Don't get me wrong -- we LOVE that people love us. However, it becomes frustrating when guests are basing their expectations of their stay with us on what a guest said - and not on what the property said. We don't pretend to be anything we are not. We don't advertise a huge breakfast. We don't have huge rooms (and don't advertise that we do.) We are a small, simple property. We are inexpensive (We encourage our guests to check other rates in the area.) and we pride ourselves on attention to our guests and providing good service. We don't put up "professional" or even edited pictures on our site. As a matter of fact, part of the reason we haven't accepted on-line reservations up until this point is because we want to speak with our guests to make sure we are getting a good fit -- We want guests who really WANT to be here. We know we aren't a perfect fit for everyone, and that is okay. Our priority is to make sure that the people who are here are having a great time. The bottom line is, It is so important to base your basic expectations of a property from the information you get from the property. Obviously, you can put some weight into reviews when it comes to things like guest service, and things like that -- however, don't expect something because you saw it on a TripAdvisor review. What was a GREAT room for one guest, might not be great for you. What was a FULL breakfast to one family, might not be a full breakfast for you.

Now, to address some of the specific issues you spoke of ~ First, The size of the rooms. The rooms are a standard motel room size. They have 250 sq feet in the doubles and 233 in the single kings. We know they are small, and we have worked to use the space in the most effective way.

Next, The blinds - There are pull down blinds and black out curtains in the rooms. The blinds were purchased new this season and the black out curtains are 2 years old. Unfortunately, living in the Black Hills and having your own business, it is often a little tough to get things replaced right away -- We are 30 minutes from a store that can fix them and we don't have the ability to just run in and get them fixed. As soon as you notified us the blind was pulled off the track and broken, we took it down to see if we could fix it. We couldn't. There was still a curtain there for privacy, so we replaced it the following day. We regret that we were not able to do this sooner. I will be the first to admit, I am NOT a fan of "room darkening" blinds. I really don't care for the style we have in the rooms. However, we have tried about everything - and these are the ones that most guests like and seem to last the longest.

Breakfast -- We offer an "Upgraded Continental" breakfast. It isn't made to order. We set our menu up a week in advance and do all of our advance preparation on Sundays. (This includes making and flash freezing items for the entire week) Unfortunately, Cinnamon rolls were not on our menu for the days you were here. When you asked if we could make them, I said I would try. I was missing 2 key ingredients - and was not able to. Thus, I went ahead and added Apple and Cherry Turnovers (which WERE homemade) to the breakfast (Bacon/egg/cheese croissants - also homemade) on the second day. Each day we offer several items, from cereal, yogurt, breads, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, etc - we do this as we know we aren't going to strike a home-run everyday. I am sorry if you missed out on the Cinnamon Rolls ~ we gave it our best effort.

Lastly - and certainly the one that offends me the most -- Directions and Road Construction. I am sure you were frustrated sitting in road construction for 2 hours. Probably as frustrated as I am that someone would rate MY business on the fact that they had to sit in Road Construction for 2 hours and somehow I should have known that. Really?!? Look - I had been on that road less than a week prior and the "construction" didn't slow me down even 5 minutes. Although I regret you were stuck there -- and I wish I would have known so I could have warned you, I certainly don't feel that is a valuable thing to rate our property on.

Anyone who knows us, knows that we take great pride in our property. We work hard to make sure our guests needs are met to the best of our ability. We know we can't get it right all of the time, and we are happy to take constructive criticism when it pertains to something we can fix or do better.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Black Hills of South Dakota ~ and again, we wish we could have made your experience with us more enjoyable.
Safe Travels,
Tammy & Cine
Battle Creek Lodge

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Question: What is the best place to stay for your vacation to South Dakota or just a night or two lay-over in South Dakota? Answer: Battle Creek Lodge in Keystone, SD!

We spent 12 days & 13 nights in the Black Hills all at Battle Creek Lodge in June of 2014. It was the best family vacation we have ever had! Not only were the sights and sounds of South Dakota breathtaking and relaxing, the hospitality of Tammy & Cine at Battle Creek Lodge was top of the line! You just can't go wrong with Battle Creek! It is a lodge, hotel, and bed & breakfast all wrapped up in one great place!

Tammy & Cine are the best hosts! Whatever you need, they are there to help out! They are so knowledgeable about the area. They have suggestions on places to go and see while you are visiting South Dakota, and they can even give you the best route to get there! We learned so much by just sitting and talking with Tammy & Cine!

The homemade breakfasts are a great way to start your day of touring the South Dakota sites! From scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage to hash brown casserole to cinnamon rolls the size of your plate! It is all delicious! And while you are enjoying the wonderful breakfast, it gives you a chance to plan and talk about your day with Tammy & Cine or the other guests and get new ideas of other places to visit!

We can't say enough about Battle Creek! We are so thankful we chose to stay with Tammy & Cine! We are already planning a return trip in the Summer of 2015!

Thank you Tammy & Cine!
Tom & Kathy & family

Room Tip: Our room was facing the street, and we were concerned about traffic noise! It was not an issue at all! I believe all rooms would be great!
2  Thank Kathy O
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We spent two relaxing nights at this wonderful quaint inn. Is it fancy? No. Is it modern? No. Is it roomy and full of amenities? No. Is it comfortable and inviting and friendly? Yes! The breakfast was great and we felt like family as we had fun and informative conversations with Cine and with other guests. We saw familiar faces both mornings and talked about our travel plans and got advice on what to see and do. We loved the location and were able to walk downtown for dinner the first night. We will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Wyomingkings
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We have never visited this area before and were so happy with the location of this lodge. I loved that it was small and you were treated like a friend not just another guest. The rooms were very well kept and restocked daily. The beds were very comfortable with 4 pillows per bed in different firmness types. This is located right on a somewhat busy road BUT the noise is not heard from within the room. There are several different seating areas outside to unwind also. You can walk right across the street to grab a meal or shop which was convenient. The coffee is excellent and the breakfast is warm and included in your room. Cannot really complain about that. The hosts Tammy and Cine were very informative which helped new visitors like ourselves. If your looking for Clean, Friendly, and Convenient then you will be happy here.

Room Tip: On their top level is a few rooms that the door is on the side of the building instead of the front. May be a little more quieter but surprisingly our room that faced the main road ended up not being an issue at all. But to some, this might be more ideal.
3  Thank Stacy B