“friendly but showing its age - needs some work”
Review of Battle Creek Lodge

Battle Creek Lodge
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed September 30, 2011

would give 3.5 rating - Stayed one night in early September. Nice and helpful staff, lovely hot breakfast more like a B&B (scrambled eggs and bacon, as I recall). Nice to talk to other lodgers over breakfast. Small and friendly place. Location was convenient.

BUT... the carpet in our room was really filthy - very stained - the air conditioner didn't put out much air, and the windows had been painted shut. Really wish I could say better things about our room, cause we liked the 'feel' of the place.

1  Thank MichiganB
Tammy G, Manager at Battle Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post a review of our lodge. ~We take our reviews very seriously and try our best to use them as learning tools and as guides to help us decide where we are doing things right and where we need to improve.

As I may have shared with you, we took over the lodge in April of 2011 and our season started in May. We had a list of "Have to's" and "Would like to's" We started at the top of the list and worked our way down - until time and money ran out. After having the carpets professionally cleaned, we really believed they would make it another year. We were wrong. Let me just say that I know the "Bissell Carpet Cleaner" at a MUCH deeper level than any person should. ;-)

The GREAT news is we are getting NEW carpet in time for the 2012 season! (this is something I am THRILLED about as I have battled trying to clean and keep the carpets clean all season!) We have already started preparing for the 2012 season and have several projects under-way that will help update & upgrade the lodge, while keeping it affordable for our guests.

I wish you would have said something about the Air Conditioning Unit when you were here. We have had VERY good luck with the A/C's and had just had them charged and cleaned in early September. We always have one on hand so IF there is a problem we can switch it out. We haven't had to do that yet, but are ready if the need ever arises.

As far as the window being painted shut - Again, this is why we need and appreciate feedback from our guests. We had no idea! I went up and found that 2 windows had been 'painted shut' during our "painting projects' over the season. I am not sure HOW we missed that, but we did. We have gotten the windows open and had them measured to get screens on them for next season. We will make a point to be more alert to this problem in the future.

I grew up in a family business and was raised by 2 very successful business people. One of the things that they taught me is to LISTEN to what people are telling you about your business. Don't take things personal or file comments under "complaints" but listen and take it as your opportunity to do something better -- or to make something right. We try hard to carry that into our day-to-day operations of this business. We don't want people to be afraid to say "hey, we think this might work better for you." or "We noticed this wasn't working, were you aware?" To me, that isn't a complainer - that is a person who cares enough about me and my business they want to help me make it better and for that, I am thankful.

So, again - Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I hope if you make it back our way again, you will give us the opportunity to show you the "improvements" we have made. Until then, we wish you the best! Safe Travels.
Tammy M. Gilbertson

There are newer reviews for Battle Creek Lodge

Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Battle Creek Lodge is a nice little hotel in Keystone. My partner and I had done some checking on this place before we booked it. I have to say the reviews from on line were dead on spot. To start with we wanted a place that was not over the top in price but was also not a hole in the wall... We stayed for three nights at the end of September.. we paid $69.99 per night which I did not think was to bad given the area. I am sure the prices are higher during the summer months but being it was late Sept I am sure we got a deal. The hotel is close to Mount Rushmore and also Mount Rushmore Cave... The hotel is just down the block from the 1880's train and about a good 30 min from Rapid City and a good hours drive from Deadwood. The staff ( Tammy) is very nice. The first night we were at the hotel they had a fire going on the deck. She asked if we wanted Smores she and a few friends were making that night. WOW... what Holiday Inn or Ramada hotel does that for you. Tammy even asked if we wanted tickets to a wrestling event that was going on in Deadwood that weekend as some of the semi pro wrestlers were at the hotel .... Are room was clean and nice, nothing fancy. The king bed we had was wonderful. The room had a flat screen TV with Dish network channels. The breakfast was also nice.. .... scrambled eggs and sausage or bagel or cereal etc... From side conversations it sounds like this is under new management and the family is working hard at making it a nice place to stay. I know Tammy was looking forward to the end of the season to work on projects in the lodge for next spring..... I am sure this place will only keep getting better each year... it's worth chekcing out if your in Keystone. Thanks for a nice stay ..... Sioux Falls, SD.

PS: I don't think they list room rates on line??? You need to call and ask I think?? We called as I could not find rates at the time I booked the room.

2  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed September 25, 2011

me and my partner stayed here for 3 nights last week (the middle of sept). While yes its obviously not the Ritz, its a cute and cozy place to stay. The owners are extremely friendly and gracious. They went out of their way to make us feel very welcome and make sure we were having a good time (not to mention they have a cute little yorkie). The walls are a little on the thin side, but not bad. The bed was very comrfortable (we had a king), and the surrounding area seems to be very quiet and relaxing. The fire pit is a great touch and great for conversing with other guests. If we go back to Keystone we would stay here again for sure.

2  Thank Kyle H
Reviewed September 20, 2011

When we checked in, Tammy gave us excellent dinner recommendations and information about Mount Rushmore's evening lighting ceremony. When we mentioned we would probably need to depart before breakfast is available at 7:30am, we were graciously told to stop by earlier. Upon checking out at 6:30am, we were given PopTarts, granola bars, grapes, mini-muffins, etc. for the road! How nice is that?!?

The rooms were clean, quiet, and larger than expected.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ExploringBuckeyes
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed here for 3 night in early Sept. We were going to stay in Rapid City but changed to Keystone because it was closer to the 3 main attractions we wanted to see and I liked the reviews I saw on trip advisor. I have no complaints. The beds were the closest in firmness to ours at home and with 4 pillows a bed, I slept the best I had my entire vacation. The breakfast saved us from going out each morning and they mixed it up every day. Biscuits and gravy, bacon, hb eggs, french toast, cereals, bagels. The bathrooms are large and the a/c worked fine. You can sit outside your room or out on their deck area by a gas firepit upstairs that was very relaxing. It's not that busy a street but there are a couple of restaurants nearby that provided good food/service and the "main street" is only a couple blocks away. I think Mt Rushmore was a few miles away. The people running the place were very personable. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank roadtripperAmerica
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I arrived at the holiday inn across the street around 2am. The room we already paid for was overbooked so they told us we had to stay at Battle Creek. We weren't excited about the sudden switch if plans after a long day of driving but we had no choice. The owners of Battle Creek left the key for our room with a nice note. The room was nice but was on the ground floor and we found a dozen spiders. I am not a fan of them so it kept me up thinking about them crawling on me. The shower had 3 long hairs in it before I got in. Overall, I'm thankful they took us in. I probably wouldn't stay there again though.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank lilk1983
Tammy G, Manager at Battle Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

We are sorry that your travel plans did not turn out the way you had expected. We understand how frustrating it can be when you expect one thing and get another. When the Holiday Inn originally discovered they were over-booked and contacted us to see if we had any rooms left, we were full. As luck would have it, we did have a cancellation later in the evening- so we held the room for you. We did not want you to arrive in Keystone in the middle of the night and not have ANY accomadations.

I also have a SERIOUS issue with spiders! (well, okay -- I hate almost ALL bugs.)We have been pretty lucky and not had any "bug" or "spider" problems. Living in the Black Hills, we certainly can't keep ALL of the spiders, but we give it our best try. We spray on a regular basis and have a professional that comes in several times each season. After seeing your post, we did go into ALL of our rooms and spray again -- better safe than sorry.

As far as the hair in the shower. What can I say to that? There is NO excuse. That is NOT acceptable by our standards. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a CLEAN, friendly, affordable, lodge. We do EVERYTHING we can to make sure that our rooms not only meet - but exceed the standards that our guests have for us. I am VERY sorry that we did not meet those standards. Please know that we have taken your review and used the information in it as a re-training tool. Rest assured, had these things been brought to our attention while you were here, they would have been addressed right away.

Again, we are sorry we were not what you were expecting. We were sincere in trying to do what we thought we would want if we were in the same situation. We hope if you ever pass this way again you will give us a chance to make it right.

Safe Travels!
Tammy

Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had a great stay at the Battle Creek Lodge. We arrived after their office closed, so they left a key with a nice note for us. The daily breakfasts were an excellent way to start the day. Not only did we get a variety of foods, we also were able to get some travel/attraction advice from the hotel owners. We enjoyed the seating areas and the 'fire.' Overall, tt was a very affordable way to see a beautiful part of the country! We hope to return!!