“Overpriced bad tasting food”

Railhead Family Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 41 Restaurants in Keystone
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced bad tasting food”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Should have checked trip advisor before stopping. Arrived at 9 pm. First wrong move. Out of the two items we wanted
Probably a blessing. Ended up with roast beef dinner. Instant mashed with canned gravy over deli roast beef. Really do they have a cook? Don't waste your money

Big Sky, Montana
“Yuck”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Do not go there! This place has the worst food and service ever! Right on the boardwalk, walk past it quickly!

Visited August 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Food & Service has Improved”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We ate the Railhouse three years ago and I was disappointed with their food and service. We recently returned to Keystone and this was one of the few restaurants in the area that still offers a full menu, so we decided to give the Railhouse another try. This time our food and service from two different evening dining experiences improved over our previous experience.

Our food orders were the roast beef french dip sandwich, the fish and chips, meatloaf dinner special and prime rib dinner special.

The french dip sandwich was very good and certainly will order this sandwich again.

The fish and chips was average. When I was paying the bill, I was asked how I liked this meal. I was told the fish was walleye at this point in time. It was flaky like walleye but it had a moderate fishy smell. I suspect it was another type of fish instead, but I didn't expect to receive walleye anyway.

The meatloaf dinner included the salad bar. I wasn't impressed with the meatloaf, since brown gravy was poured over the meat and the meat seemed to mostly mixed with ketchup as the primary sauce. These two items certainly make taste conflict when utilized together. I would not order this again as is. The greens and the fruit from the salad bar were fresh. I tried the Clam Chowder soup of the day, which was average at best.

The prime rib dinner special includes the salad bar. My daughter liked her prime rib dinner. However she modified her dining approach by cutting the rib meat into thin strips, placed it in her dinner roll and made a french dip sandwich. The Au Jus is available at the carving station.

Also ordered a call drink from the Railhead bar.The drink was well made with a strong pour.

We had the same server for both of our visits. Our server was attentive and the service was prompt on each visit.

The take away: If you eat here and prefer quality over quantity, order the french dip or another type of sandwich. If you prefer quantity, the specials include include the salad bar and some specials all you can eat, however keep your expectations low for this experience. Otherwise, there is a deli at the west end of this boardwalk (about 200 feet away) that has good made to order food and they offer free fudge samples.

• Visited July 2012
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Not worth it!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Salad bar had little variety; dinner buffet food was overcooked and flavorless. Prices were high for what it is.....for all the choices in Keystone, you can find better!

• Visited July 2012
Wichita, Kansas
“Worst point of our 9 day vacation.”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We ended up at the Railhead for lunch and was so disspointed. They have a menu and a buffet. We did both. No one was impressed with their food, which meant it was an expensive buffet at $10.99 for mediocre (at best) food. There was a soup bar - but only one soup. The salad bar wasn't bad. Everything looked and tasted fresh on the salad bar - although I stuck to the vegetables. The fried chicken and roast were very overcooked. The sides were so so for the most part, although one of the mashed potatoes was good. Which was another problem, there was not enough variety in the sides. My son had fried fish and chips and did not like it at all. I traded him some mini-tacos (just like you buy frozen in the grocery store) for his fish so he had something to eat. In hindsight, we should have left and went around the corner. As we left, and family was deciding whether to go in. I let them know it was only midiocre, and I thought there had to be better places. They were thankful I said something, and went on down the road. I had read several reviews before leaving and had noted some names, but we ended up eating similiar food during our prior meals and didn't have enough names of top choices to choose from. Will write more variety/names down next time.

Visited July 2012