“Disappointed”

Powder House Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Keystone
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located only 4 miles (10 minutes) from Mt Rushmore the Powder House Lodge has a rich and storied history in the Black Hills. Specializing in Prime Rib, Buffalo, Fish, Wild Game and Pasta we offer a unique dining experience in a one of a kind atmosphere. ** The Powder House Lodge & Restaurant is a seasonal operation. We will be closed from October 15, 2017 and will re-open in May of 2018
Reviewed September 30, 2013

After reading other TA reviews we had high expectations. I think the problem was we were seated shortly before closing time. Seems like we got the end of the day food and treatment. My prime rib was not very tender. My wife's meal was very average too. Service was not prompt.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Ate one dinner here and I had the duck and my wife a great sirloin. It was as fine a
duck breast as I have ever had and my wife's sirloin was superb. It is really nice to
get a fine meal while visiting Mount Rushmore. Price was moderately expensive but
the meal was well worth it. Would definitely eat here again. Salad and baked potato
were fine accompaniments to the meal but I could not get over how good the duck
was. Make sure you have it without the sauce (on the side) as with most sauces for
fowl it was far to sweet. Duck was so moist and tender and had reduction that was
all you needed.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The quality and variety of food is wonderful. The atmosphere is good. The price is very fair. The quantity is a bit to be desired. My husband went away hungry.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Excellent menu, great specials and a polite, friendly staff. They serve Elk, Buffalo and other local favorites. Don't skip desert!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Our B&B hosts recommended Powder House to my husband and me and after eating there once, we decided to eat there two more nights before leaving the Black Hills. They have a very large menu and all six menu items we had (3 each), we can say that every one of them was excellent. The desserts were all homemade and the rhubarb-cherry crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream was out of this world.The service is very good and the two different waiters we had were very attentive. The selections on the menu were creative and the two specialities each evening were also very creative. I noted on the back of the menu that they have a large selection of meals for those with Celiac Disease which is not something I have noted in many restaurants. The restaurant was very busy all three nights, and I would recommend making reservations. This is a restaurant that I would recommend to even the pickiest eater and one I would definitely return to if I'm in the Black Hills again!