Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
K Bar S Lodge(Keystone)(Great Value!)
$97
$49
$114
HIExpress.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbunk bedsoatmealwet barzip lineheated floorswithin walking distanceelectric fireplacecontinental breakfastliving roompull out sofaking suitealpine slideadventure parkdonutsmount rushmoremini fridgefitness room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The pictures you see online show a nice, updated lobby. The hallways were also updated with new carpet and wall trim, but the second you open the door to the room you're in 1970's hell with dollar store decor. We had a "family suite". The ONLY window was next to the door. It was double paned with honeycomb wires through it. You only get light from, and see, the hallway. No view. No fresh air or natural light. You're in a cave with one prison window. (Isn't it illegal not to have an exterior window in a hotel room? There's no way many people could break the window there, or fit through it!) The room they call a king bed "suite" is not large and is a small L shape. While sitting in the king bed (with 3 Chicklet size pillows to share with my husband), I could throw a sock and hit the bunk beds. Yes, it's that close. No privacy or changing area for a family except for the tiny bathroom. We had to shower with 30 minute waiting periods in-between to give the steam to die down in the room. Forget about turning on a hair dryer for more than 2 minutes or the room heats up. The bathroom fan was loud and weak. The shower head goes up to your chin for an average person, and you have to fight the flimsy plastic shower curtain from sticking to you. There was a nasty huge soap dispenser in the shower. Thankfully it was empty. I've never seen a "gas station bathroom size" community soap dispenser in a private shower. Besides not having a window in the room, I was shocked that THE BATHROOM SINK IS IN THE ROOM - NOT THE BATHROOM! There is a tiny area for hanging a few garments. The small TV has some black & white channels (but who needs TV when claustrophobia kicks in and all you want to do is get out of the room!) The TV can only be seen from sitting on the king bed- incredibly uncomfortable for a family of 4 who wants to relax before sightseeing. There was 1 small round table with 2 dingy chairs (for a family of 4??) I always felt like I had to put a towel down before I sat on them. The free breakfast is 99% sugared crap. Lots of Barbie sized pastries. No hot food. I had a Barbie sized yogurt. Since we were in the back part "tucked away" in our nearly $150 p/night prison cave room, the helicopter noise didn't affect us. Although I felt like Radar in M*A*S*H running to and from my car with a huge helicopter looming overhead. I'm not a snob. I wasn't expecting the Ritz or even close for that price in a touristy area, but at least something along the lines of a nice Comfort Suite. This place is a dump. The first clue was there's rusty tin can ashtrays with plastic chairs outside room doors in the front. The front is like a motel, and the back, I guess, is suppose to be like a hotel with its interior hallway (seriously, I think the fire department needs to check it out. I've never seen a setup like that.) I'm not surprised Rushmore Express takes the money out of your account 14 days before you get there, because you're surely not going to get a refund once you get there and see that you didn't get anything near what you paid for! My kids went to the pool and said it wasn't bad. You can see the gym equipment upstairs from the pool area and that looked decent but we didn't use it. But now I know it's all smoke & mirrors until you open the door to your room - which they must have used 1,000 watt lighting for the online photos. Our room had no overhead lights, only a few small lamps. There is no restaurant, and you take your own life in your hands walking to any place not fast foods as there's no sidewalks around this place. The one and only decent thing about this place was the staff. Every single person at the desk or walking around was friendly. They can't do anything about the horrible accommodations and are not responsible for the marketing scam. Our entire family agreed we would have drove much further to stay in a decent place.The location doesn't justify the cost one bit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank familyof435805
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I was planning a 9 day trip to the Mt. Rushmore, Rapid City area and chose to stay at this hotal because of the family suites available. The family suite was very large, just as advertised and the pictures are the same as the web site, and I will post some. I looked at the other rooms because of what people said and found them to be newly decorated with the hickory furniture that reminded me of tree limbs and a rustic western, Texas theme. The pool was on the smaller side, but stayed open late enough for adults to enjoy.

Dennis was a wonderful help at the front desk, and as we checked in we were given in detail information to decide what to do along with coupons. (i suggest you look through the book because there are many!)

As for the helicopter, I will post pictures because the pad is not on the hotel property, but it is accross the street and a bit down from the endest rooms. many people in the rooms sat on their balconies to watch the helicopter. The tours we not fast, so it did not come and go often. the tours started at $49.00, per person and stopped eraly in the evening. we could not hear it from our room 238 which was the end room with the view of the mountain wall with a fence in front of it to prevent rocks from falling on any guests. The workout room was adaqaute, the breakfast is continential! Proteins were offered to get the day started, and at least there was something rather than nothing.

Taffy was left on the table from the candy store down the street. The room had two tvs, and my son's hooked up their game system in the living room part and played a long time at night. I did not hear anyone, and I knew the hotel was full. We asked for extra towels and received them. The bathroom had a gift box full of items. I could not get another, but was given different shampoo and soaps. I guess this is what the standard rooms receive, but not the suites. The gift box was really nice!

I have had the priveledge to stay at upscale hotels that I have not wriiten reviews about, and the bedding in our suite was not like what one would expect. I am use to a down comforter and duvet, and do not like bedspreads even nice ones. (Do these get washed after every guest stay?) The basic bed had a small pillow top, but nothingalong the luxury line. Is there such thing as basic pillow top? I just compare it to the one I have at home.

There were buckets at each entrance that offered towels to wipe off the cars. I found this as something new, but there are a lot of grass hoppers in SD! So many people were using the towels to wipe off the bugs on their cars. Nice extras!

***Parking may be on the side of the hotel, and the hotel is very secluded, but within walikng distance to shopping, food and fun.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This place was a little hard to find, because it's just off the strip in Keystone, but yet right by everything. We rented a honeymoon suite, and it was absolutely AMAZING! 2 LCD tv's, fireplace, wet bar, marble throughout, jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. So romantic! The hotel staff was great, they had coupons to offer for local area attractions, and several brochures for the taking. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NDTraveler01
Reviewed September 1, 2009

This hotel is tucked around a corner at the end of Keystone on the way to Mount Rushmore - you can see it from the end of the road. We read the reviews before we went and followed advice by booking Suite 133. This is an inside room at the back - the only downside of this VAST room is that the only natural light is from a window in the bedroom. BUT, what you do get is an enormous room with lounge, dining table, kitchen (could have done with some cutlery and plates though). We looked at different hotels in the area and this gave very good value for money. The pool and jacuzzi were fine and the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is deceptive - the front is like a traditional motel, and the rooms do face the helicopter pad, but the newer, modern suites are at the back and we had no noise. As for the distance from Keystone - it was a 5 to 10 minute walk into Keystone - that's not far!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Liney1966
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I read all the reviews before selecting this hotel. I was expecting a nice experience, but we did not receive that. First, for the price, we had a room with an outdoor entrance and it smelled like smoke, even though it was non-smoking. The rooms appeared old (not like the pictures showed). When we complained to the front desk, the lady who checked on the room was very disgruntled that we would complain and was rude when finding us another room.

The doors had to be slammed in order to shut tightly. There was a helicopter pad outside the door where they landed every 10 minutes for ride to Mt Rushmore.

Since I was treated rudely from the start, it is hard to find anything positive to say. I guess I can say the pool was okay...small...but okay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family