“Ok room - but great location.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites

Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
Sauk Rapids
“Ok room - but great location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I feel like this hotel is a bit of a bait and switch...they have two sections of the hotel - the "old" section and the newly remodeled section - when looking at the photos online and reading comments online I now realize most of the great reviews were of guests who stayed in the new section. I thought that is what we were booking as well - and when we checked in then went to the front desk to ask if we could move to one of the suites and (of course) those rooms were booked up. So basically we were in a very standard hotel room. The other downside of booking here was that we paid a price of $130+ a night, but once we arrived in keystone saw prices for the hotel advertised at $49.99 a night. Availability might be an issue on busy weekends but paying over half for the hotel room would have been great. Breakfast was also a bit of an issue - very crowed, people running for the food that was brought out, and not enough of anything they served. We got by on the breakfast for the few days we stayed - but it was not the best experience or way to start the day.

The one plus I will give this hotel is the location - a little out from the "downtown" of Keystone (only by a few blocks) but still close to restaurants, a little strip mall with subway, coffee shop, and a dairy queen - and only about 2 miles from Mount Rushmore, close to the Black Hills, Crazy Horse and other attractions. And since we left each morning around 8 and didn't get back to the room until 9-10pm each evening we thankfully didn't spend much time in the actual room.

1 Thank Nicole K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Milbank, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We ended up staying the king bed suites with Jacuzzi tub on the third floor. The room was extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. It was an added bonus that there was a fireplace and it was covered in granite and the bathroom also had granite. The front desk help was friendly.This hotel is in the back and does have limited parking but is away from the more noisy areas which I liked and was a good 10 minute walk to get to downtown. The only downfall was there was a limited breakfast for a couple of hours and there was only 22 channels for the TV. Granted we were busy most of the day but when we came back at night there was very few limited selection on what to watch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kristie c
Hull, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Pretty nice place. Nothing over the top, but not a dump. Had to ask for towels several times. Pretty decent breakfast. Limited parking though. Missed some of the extras like free newspapers and they really had limited children's channels on the TV. We really only slept and bathed there as we were bust from sun up to sundown.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Our room was great. Everything was very high end and nice. The location was good too we could see Mt. Rushmore from the hotel. There were many things to do. We enjoyed the stay but the breakfast was lacking. Otherwise everything was great.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Morgans32
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm not sure what the suites in this hotel are like but the standard rooms on the front of the hotel leave a lot to be desired. Upon arriving we found our room to smell VERY moldy when the air was turned on, the staff quickly moved us to another standard room without a moldy smell. The room had an exterior entrance, so we often had to walk through a gauntlet of smokers sitting in lawn chairs outside of their rooms- not fun. The room itself was in need of updating. The chain lock was broken, the bathroom ceiling was peeling and the carpet was dirty. The breakfast was mediocre and only available for 2 hours! The pool was MUCH smaller than it appeared on the website and they ran out of towels.. Maybe most disappointing was the promised wifi didn't work the 2 nights we stayed there. On the plus side it was off the main strip and was quiet at night. It was very convenient to Mt Rushmore and within walking distance of all the shops in the area. The beds were comfortable and shower water pressure was good. Overall I would recommend people look elsewhere in Keystone, but would work as a last resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a new suite
Ogden, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

To reserve this hotel there is a service company. They charge a fee. I was able to secure a great price but their fees were rather high. I didn't realize this until after I got home. The lady helping me to reserve this hotel was very enthusiastic about the area. She gave me instructions on the best way to make the "loop" and visit all the key spots. I followed her advice and was not disappointed. The hotel is conveniently located and within walking distance of restaurants, shops and activities. My room (142) was on the bottom floor across from the pool. Excellent room. King-size bed with Jacuzzi tub and a separate room for tv. Microwave and fridge in the room. Furniture was comfortable. The sofa pulled out to a queen-size bed and was relatively comfortable. Plenty of room to put an air mattress or a cot (which is what I did). Comfortable for 4 to 6 people with no problems. Pool noise not a bother but the room was by the stairs and I was able to hear loud noises until after 10pm when the pool closed. Annoying. Internet was sketchy. One small hotspot in the room and it crashed often. Breakfast was a disappointment. When making the reservations they talked up the breakfast. Don't make reservations based on breakfast. The fitness room opens at 9 am (same time as the pool). Very frustrating. I prefer to workout early in the morning and leave the rest of the day for sightseeing. The time was non-negotiable. The staff was helpful with food recommendations. Parking was not a problem for me although I noticed in the morning there were a lot of cars parked on the grass. The hotel was packed. My family stayed 2 nights. We were comfortable and I would stay there again if we go back.

Room Tip: There are rooms motel style (outside the hotel) and rooms inside that are more like suites.
Brooklyn Park
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

A large group of us stayed at the Rushmore Express for 5 nights. Initially, our rooms were scattered, but the front desk was able to move us around and get us all together. We were in the older section of traditional motel rooms with parking right outside the door. Our stay was not perfect, a lot of problems with housekeeping, although personally I did not have any issues with housekeeping. My biggest complaint was the lack of Wi-Fi. I only had it the first 24 hours of our stay. Then no more. Disappointing. Also, I had an issue with our bathroom door not staying latched. I told the front desk, nothing was done. I told them again upon checkout, hopefully they have fixed it now. I did not swim in the pool, every time I went by it was crowded with kids. Looked like a small pool in a small room. The breakfast was what you would expect, waffles, cereal, toast, bananas and oranges every day, plus a different hot item daily. Biscuits and gravy one day, French toast sticks (not hot) another. Also hard boiled eggs some days. It was adequate. On the positive side, the location of the motel was very good, on a quiet side street off the main drag, but still within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. We were entertained in the afternoon watching people on the zip line and arial adventure park across the street. The beds were comfortable and we got a sound sleep every night.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Keystone
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#5 of 14 in Keystone
Mt. Rushmore's White House Resort
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
Mt. Rushmore's Washington Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Golden Spike Inn & Suites

Been to Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites? Share your experiences!