“Disappointing Start Turned into the Great Stay for Family of 5”

Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Recently returned from a four night stay at the Rushmore Express in Keystone SD. Hotel would have received 5 stars if not for a reservation issue.

Our stay didn't start out well ... there was a mix-up in our reservation and the room we had pre-paid for several months ago wasn't available. The staff at the hotel handled it (and my fit!) extremely well and very professionally.

Our family of 5 was upgraded to the Hemingway Suite. Ridiculously large & wonderful in every way. Even with two roll-away beds in the living room, we had so much room. VERY clean. Smelled fresh, looked fresh.

We had two couches, a chair with an ottoman, fireplace, a bar area with mini-frig/sink/microwave, a table and chairs to seat 8, and a couple of tables in the living room alone. We never felt cramped. The bedroom area had two queen beds, 2 chairs with ottomans, a huge armoire, dresser, and nightstand. Gorgeous.

However, the space is a little weird. It almost felt like a conference room or former gathering space that had been converted to suites. Ceiling was ridiculously tall and there were no windows in the living room. Bedroom had one window (which partially opened - yah for fresh air!) which looked directly into a rock wall.

Bathroom was large and VERY clean. Loved the integrated clothesline in the bathtub - wish all hotels with pools had those.

No issues with room temperature. We used both a/c and heat during our stay & the room was comfortable. Liked the ceiling fans.

Breakfast was decent but basic (cereal, bread, fruit, donuts, hard-boiled eggs, etc). One hot selection each day (pancakes, biscuits & gravy, etc). Changed a little each day. Coffee was surprisingly good.

Kids enjoyed the pool, although it did get crowded at night.

We kept seeing the same staff members tackle different jobs -- front desk, helping at breakfast, bringing in a food delivery, dropping off extra towels, etc. I was very impressed with their professionalism, friendliness, and responsiveness.

Location is top-notch. Easy walk to downtown Keystone and a very quick drive to Mt Rushmore and the surrounding area.

3  Thank DEVikingsMom

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I searched hotels in Keystone and with the great reviews Rushmore express had I found they also had the best prices. The Rushmore express is almost like 2 hotels in one.. you have your standard outside units (which we were in) but if you went inside the building you could see the difference there was.. I am pretty sure the suites were much better but I was happy for the price with what we had. And for outside rooms, the place was quiet. Only once I heard people making noise outside and that is because they were younger kids but other than that...I didn't even hear our neighbors.

Our room consisted of 2 queen size beds, mini fridge and microwave. Check in was easy and the front desk was nice enough. There is breakfast that starts at 7am-9 and I wish that did start earlier because on the day we left we had to opt out because I wanted to be on the road before 7am. The breakfast was decent but I think the staff was overwhelmed. One poor girl couldn't keep up with stocking things fast enough.

My girls used the pool which was fun but kind of small and on our second night it was packed with kids.. The best part of staying here was location. You are in walking distant to two restaurants and some activities. Across the streets, there is a zipline, adventure slides and this adventure tree thing that my oldest daughter just loved and almost completed but she ran out of time. Mt. Rushmore is only about 5 min up the hill so your drive is very short. There is a dairy queen and subway around the corner also.

I think my one and only complaint was the air condition in our room.. It was set to 60 but it would hardly cycle on.. I am pretty sure it wasn't working so my nights were warm.

1  Thank topasna
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

This non-smoking hotel was a joy to stay the night. Super clean room, good breakfast with a decent variety to suit most tastes, and very friendly staff. Fairly priced and about as close as you can get to the memorial too. Other than the fact that I could not get bandwidth on their wifi network, I had an great stay here and would definately stay their again if ever in Keystone.

2  Thank MackFisher
Reviewed June 30, 2013

nice hotel in an excellent area near Mt Rushmore. Breakfast and wifi included with the price of the room, which was a nice bonus. Within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Only 2 miles from Mt Rushmore.

2  Thank Kenneth S
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family of 5 rented the family suite and loved it. Huge clean rooms and the price was very fair. My in laws got upgraded for free to be closer to the grand kids and staff goes out of way to take care of guests. Only advice is get to breakfast early because it goes get pretty picked over. I would definitely state there again.

1  Thank unhappycamper5
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in new suites. Rooms were clean and well designed. Location was close but away from main traffic. Bring cords for your portable devices every room has a tv with hookups. Kids thought it was cool to watch their own movies.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

After a lot of research, I decided to book a room at the Rushmore Express. I chose it because I was traveling with another adult and two teenage boys. I booked a family room that had a separate bedroom with two big beds, a kitchen, living room, and bunk beds. It was nice to have a big enough space where the boys could be away from the adults. The room was huge and nicely decorated. The drawback for my travel companion was that there was only a window in the back bedroom which faced a rock wall so it didn't offer much natural light. There wasn't any natural light in the main living area which bothered her. I was fine with it. In terms of the location, it was perfect! It was a 5-7 minute drive up to the monument which was great. It is also across the street from the alpine slide and zip line park which the boys enjoyed. We had pizza dinner in the hotel next door which was excellent. We drove into the main part if town, but you could easily walk. If you go, don't miss the Borglum Story Museum....it is very close the the hotel and very informative.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone
Mount Rushmore Lodge at Palmer Gulch
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Keystone

Been to Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites? Share your experiences!