“Perfect service, very clean , large rooms”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Perfect stay - the only negative is that there are limited restaurants and other amenities in this town and area in general. You are close to many of the attractions in the area so it's a trade off. During the winter except for the hotel everything else in town is closed and you will need to go into Rapid City.

• Stayed: December 2013
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice and well kept. The breakfast offers variety and I appreciated the coffee/tea/cocoa in the lobby 24/7. I will say that this is the first hotel in all of North America that I've stayed at over the last year that didn't have a microwave in the room. This would be an extremely helpful feature - especially in the off season since virtually nothing is open in town.

The pool always had the cover on which I had to take off myself and the front desk was a little hard to get their attention. But I guess for a stay during the off season I got what I should expect.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Lauren R,

We value and appreciate your feedback. It was good to read you found the hotel clean and enjoyed the breakfast that was served. I apologize some aspects of our room amenities did not meet your expectations. Your comments and suggestions regarding the microwave and staff service are appreciated and will be used to ensure these area is improved on.

Once again, thank you for your review. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Zelyn N

Reviewed December 5, 2013

When my family decided to visit Mount Rushmore, I read all Tripadvisor reviews about hotels around and chose the Holiday Inn, because it was very close to the Monument and offered good price for the traditional comfort. Finally we stayed in 2 room types - standard twin #302 and suite with jaccuzi #104 and both were really good. I agree with some reviews that the elevator works strange, but we did not have any troubles with that. Fortunately, we moved to the ground floor for the second night and it was more convinient for us. The staff was really nice and helpful. The property is located a little bit out of the main street and you have to walk to local restaurants. There is a neat antique store nearby, even if you do not buy anything, it is interesting to look. The swimming pool is also good. The breakfast area is pretty tiny, and you can take food to your room instead of sitting in the crowd. Internet works all right.

Room Tip: I would ask for the first floor, especially if you bring enough luggage with you.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express, pool of the lobby, free breakfast and its right near Mt. Rushmore.

The room was a suite. King sized bed and pull out couch there was also a kitchenette, with sink, micro and coffee maker. The room as well as bathroom felt a bit old but ok. The decoration was typical Holiday Inn Exp.

One note the area around Keystone is pretty boarded up in the winter. There seemed to be either 1 or 2 restaurants open in town and maybe 4-5 rooms filled in the hotel. I am surprised they are open year round.

I would suggest staying in Rapid City if you visit Mt. Rushmore in the late fall or winter as you will find a better selection of places to goto dinner and its only about 20 minutes drive from Mt. Rushmore.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lowetide8
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Lowetide8,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to read that you liked our rooms and the included amenities. However, I am sorry that only limited number of dining options in the area. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Keystone is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was expecting a bit more from this property as the photos made it seem a bit more of a luxury hotel than it turned out to be. There were a few problems with our stay. The elevator door would only close if you walked out of the elevator than jumped back in before the door closed. I used the stairs after the first two times.

Also our toilet would run unless you flushed it twice. We told the people at the desk and they wrote down a message to check and get it fixed. I assume that they did.

The desk staff was nice enough, but I've had much friendlier at most other hotels. The free breakfast was sufficient, but again, I've had much better.

If the price was right, I would stay here again, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Room Tip: The best part about this is it is only 3 miles from Mt. Rushmore.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear AMother0f2,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with our facilities and services. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Just what you would expect for a Holiday Inn Express. Room was clean and quiet. Free breaIkfast was nice. Free WiFi worked well. Basic but adequate. We were able to walk to nearby restaurants and it was a short drive to Mt Rushmore. If you come off season don't expect Amy of the attractions or shops to be open.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I am extremely pleased with my aunts choice of hotel. She did research and settled on the Holiday Inn Express. We arrived on Saturday at 7pm ish. It was my mother, her sister and myself. We were pleasantly surprised by the home baked chocolate chip cookies. Check in was flawless by this lovely woman name Yolanda. Her co-worker Brandon came out to also greet and chat with us. My immediate impression of these two was excellent. A previous reviewer commented about the professional dress code, excuse me this is Keystone, South Dakota also at the end of season not New York City! What does their dress code have to do with your stay? Anyway I digress...

We settled into our respective rooms. My aunt and mother had a double occupancy room with two queen size beds, and I had the room next to them- king size bed with a separate couch and a coffee table. The rooms were extremely clean. LG flat screen TV. Coffee maker with an assortment of teas and coffees (both caffeinated and decaffeinated). I will say that the bed was a little too hard for me and the pillows were a little too lumpy. Not uncomfortable, but I do prefer a softer mattress. Free wireless.

The bathroom was quite nice: soft towels, excellent toilet paper, and large showerhead with surprisingly excellent water pressure! The products are Bath and Body Works! Shampoo, Conditioner, 2 bars of facial cleansing soap and 2 make up removers (Which I had no use for). And of course, the standard hair dryer.

A little alcove closet with a luggage rack and ironing board and an extra quilt (most likely because I have the sleeper sofa in the king size room). Wooden coat hangers which are fantastic. I only have one minor complaint, the heating system. It is one of those forced air under the window unit. There are dials on there to adjust the temperature: low/high heat or low/high cool. My complaint is: so let's say you adjusted to a steady temperature and when it reaches that temperature the air still continues to blow even though there's "no heat" coming out but its still warm, so the room can get unbearably hot! So just be forewarned!

Overall the room was excellent and at the time we stayed my room was about $98 a night.

There is a pool and a hot tub, which unfortunately I did not get to enjoy, I forgot my swimsuit, but it seems the other guests who were using it we're having a fun time.

So let me say something about Yolanda and Brandon. I would say if it wasn't for them on the night shift I don't think my experience of this hotel would have been as excellent as it was. Two of the most friendly, caring, catering staff I've interacted with at a hotel in a long time. Last November I was in New Orleans for a week at a five star hotel and I was not impressed with the staff, I could barely understand their English. And they were dressed perfectly professionally. Give me Yolanda and Brandon any day. Down to earth, funny, they were just, REAL. I don't need someone to pretend to enjoy to serve me, I need someone who just enjoys being with people The last night we brought dessert back and we wanted to play cards, we sat at a table in the corner. Instantly they were both out there trying to make us more comfortable, sugesting moving a table near the fireplace by rearranging the furniture. Since we're simple folk that was not necessary, but they turned on the lights in the breakfast room and we sat in there, it was fantastic! At one point my mom and aunt took a break and left me by myself. Yolanda was there immediately asking if I needed anything, if I wanted the TV on while they were gone, just awesome!

Which leads me to my final point. The breakfast was pretty great. They had Activia yogurt, hard boiled eggs, milk in the cooler. Multiple types of cereals to dispense. Biscuits and gravy, and surprisingly for the area if the country they were actually pretty good had a little bit of spice. The eggs and meat changed. One day scrambled, the next omlettes. One day they had bacon, then sausage links. Multiple choices of bread, English muffins, bagels, with choices of cream cheese or jellies and butter. They had fresh fruit. They had a juice dispenser. And they have this really nifty pancake maker, and surprisingly enough they were actually really good. My aunt wanted oatmeal which they didn't have out, she asked and voila! They got her some.

And of course, coffee, hot chocolate and tea all day long!

Now mind you the hotel is very, very close to Mount Rushmore. It's actually pretty centrally located near a lot of touristy places, there's a cave nearby, bear country, Crazy Horse isn't that far, a lot of cute little shops (unfortunately most were closed because after season and, oh yeah, thank you government!)

So if you happen to be in the area of Keystone, South Dakota I highly recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express. You will be greeted by the wafting smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, a friendly staff and an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Alec F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 12 in Hill City

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mt Rushmore / Keystone? Share your experiences!