“Quaint and affordable”
Review of Brookside Motel

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Keystone
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is our 2nd time staying at the Brookside. It is now under new ownership and they have done a fine job making improvements. If you want a good value with no frills...just clean and you have a deck to sit outside....to enjoy also within walking distance to downtown Keystone. Our friends brought a grill along....it was fun. It is like motel/cabin so you can enjoy the gorgeous summer evenings.

Room Tip: We like the one story so you can have the deck and sit out there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
TammyInKeystone, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Maggiemae~
Thank you so much for your review! Having been raised in a family business ~ I was taught that there are 3 HUGE compliments your customers can give you. #1 - Referals to friends and family. # 2. Corrections. (If there is something wrong or something we can do better and a guest tells us - we try to never take it as an insult, but rather as an oppertunity and a compliment. A compliment in that the person cared enough to give us the oppertunity to make things right - or atleast better for the next person. #3 -- Repeat business.
Obviously, your repeat visit means a great deal to us and we appreciate the business. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of the improvements and the work that we have put into the property. If you didn't see the property prior to the improvements, it may be hard to understand all that has been done. We have many more projects planned in our future at the Brookside - and we hope that you will be back to enjoy them with us.
Again - thank you for taking time to post your review ~ and for the compliment of your repeat business.
Safe Travels ~

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a simple roadside motel with basic, clean, no-frills rooms. As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms are sparsley decorated and basic. The pool is tiny but clean. Everyone I met was friendly and it is clear that the management is vested in improving the property. I considered rating below average simply because at the price I paid it wasn't a value but that was because we were passing through during the Sturgis rally week and all rooms were at a premium in the area. You could probably find nicer rooms in town but I commend the management for their commitment to improving. I would recommend a visit if you can live without the amenities of a Holiday Inn and enjoybsomething a bit more rustic.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SciGuyMrD
TammyInKeystone, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your review of our property! We appreciate you taking time to offer your constructive feed back!

As you stated in your review, and we have stated in earlier reviews - this is a new property for us. The timing of the purchase and take over didn't leave us much (if any) time to get some of the projects we would have liked to have done in time for the busy season. We did our very best to focus on what we felt were key issues for a property of this size and in this price range. Things such as the addition of a breakfast bar, making sure we had new beds and new linens (as the old ones were ... well, old..) we tried to focus on the CLEAN rooms and GREAT service and start fixing things one at a time.

Hind sight is ALWAYS 20-20. As we come to the end of the "busy season" and look back at our first year. We certainly see things that we would have done a little differently. We would have made sure that we had coffee pots in the rooms at the beginning of the season (We are THRILLED that we now have coffee pots in EVERY room!!) We would have made sure that we had blow dryers in every room. We would have spent more time and attention making sure that our Wi-Fi service was 100% connectivity on the ENTIRE property -- vs. spending money on upper grade room amenities. We would have focused our attention a little more on the little things and maybe less on some of the bigger projects. However, you don't know what you don't know. Time has been our best teacher. Thanks to guests, like yourself, who have been willing to give us feedback and tell us ways that we can improve our guests experience - we have a much better idea of what we can do to make The Brookside a better property and we are proud to have already put MANY of those idea's and things in place.

As I mentioned, we are already working to update and correct some of the issues that have been guest concerns. Starting with the addition of coffee pots in the rooms, and ordering blow dryers for the rooms. We have gotten the Wi-Fi working on the entire property and will be adding more routers and exterior antenna's to make sure that we have stronger service in the coming season. We are also working with a few local artists to "dress" up the rooms and make them feel a little more "cozy".

With all of these things, we are keeping true to our first and primary mission -- which is keeping the Brookside a family friendly and affordable lodging option for our guests. Growing up in family ran businesses and knowing the value, education, and memories that come from "family vacations" we have made it our goal from the start to keep Brookside a great property at a great rate. We KNOW it can be both.
With that said -- we want to again thank you for staying with us and supporting small and locally owned business. We also want to thank you for acknowledging how vested we are in this property. There is NO doubt that every person on this team from ownership to housekeeping is vested in the success of this business and it was encouraging to know that our efforts are noticed. We hope you will stop back by if you make it back our way -- I assure you - you will see continued improvement!

Safe Travels!
Tammy M. Gilbertson
Keystone South Dakota

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The worst of the worst! Filthy, dangerous without smoke detectors, lying staff & owner! Double billed our credit card. Take sleeping bags into the woods before sleeping in this over-priced dump of dumps. BAD BAD BAD! Chamber of Commerce & Fire Marshall investigating this awful place. Not safe to sleep in with little ones! Stay away! This hovel should be demolished and a real motel built. We have stayed in wonderful little mom & pa's all over several continents & this was the worst! SLEEP IN YOUR CAR FIRST!

Room Tip: don't hand over your credit card!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank travelerstimmy
wyominglady, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

To Whom it May Concern ~

I have debated on if I should respond to this post. My first instinct is to ignore it and not waste another moment of my time or energy on dealing with this Bully-Scam Artist. However, because this is a public forum and it does have the potential to impact future guests and the choices they make about lodging, I feel a response is warranted.

I believe the best way to deal with situations like this is with facts. The facts are this
1. The guest did have his credit card charged 2 times. One for EACH of the 2 rooms he occupied during his stay at the Brookside.
2. The Brookside has not now and has not EVER been under "investigation" by the Chamber of commerce or The Fire Marshall. The person who wrote this review did file a complaint with the Chamber of Commerce -- it was the FIRST complaint that has ever been filed on this business (or any of the other businesses that we have ever been affiliated with.)
3. The Brookside has recently had both State Health inspections and Fire Protection inspections. We received a 95/100 on our State inspection. The Fire inspection is an optional inspection that we pay for. This is something we choose to do to insure that we are up to code and have everything (fire exits, lights, extinguishers, etc) in optimal working condition. The state inspection is posted on-line and is available in the lobby of the motel for guests to view at any time. We welcome and encourage inspections at any time.
4. We may be new to the Brookside, but we are certainly not new to the hospitality industry. When someone calls you and tells you that they are "Doing you a favor" by allowing you to give them a room for free instead of calling the fire inspector -- it is in your best judgement to charge them for the room and call the fire inspector yourself.
5. The facts are that the person who posted this review checked into 2 rooms at the Brookside Motel. He made a claim that both rooms he had were missing batteries in the smoke detectors. Without question, we immediately remedied the situation. The guest was satisfied. The following morning, he came down and demanded that he not be charged for his stay. The Desk Clerk on duty contacted management. They agreed to look at the situation and contact the guest later in the day, after they had time to collect the full story. This was not enough for the guest. He was out of control. He tried to intimidate our staff, he "tried" to scare us by using threats of contacting the state and the fire Marshall. When this didn't work (as we had no reason to fear an inspection from the fire Marshall) He finally left. When he got home, the madness continued with repeated harassing calls to BOTH of our businesses. Demanding personal information, swearing, etc. Eventually, we had no choice but to contact the police and have a "harassment claim" put against the guest.
6. The truth of the situation is we work on the basis that our guests are ALWAYS right. We will do whatever is reasonable to make sure you leave here feeling like you got a good value and that you had a good experience. That said, I won't have my staff or my property be threatened or Bullied.

This "Guest" probably would have gotten a discount or certainly would have had a better shot at it if he would not have acted as though we were in a position we needed to buy his silence. We will NEVER buy someone or ask a guest to keep quiet about something we are doing. Wrong or right. We stand behind our staff. We stand behind our business practices. We will ALWAYS put the safety of our guests first -- and nobody will ever have to question that. So, if you ever think that you will get a room for free by telling us you will turn us in to the Chamber, the health department and the Fire Marshall if we don't give it to you. Bring your Credit Card. We will never run our business with ethics like that.

In conclusion, I would again like to say that we welcome guest inspections at ANY time. Certainly, we don't claim to be perfect -and certainly there is always room for improvement. We have learned SO much in the last 2 months. We have worked hard and will continue to work hard until we have this property in TOP shape. We have some amazing plans for our little piece of South Dakota, and we know it will be a treasure. We hope you will stop and see for yourself.

As always - Wishing You Safe Travels ~
Battle Creek Lodge

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had spoken with mgmt of the sister property who advised us we would be comfortable here. Westayed 3 nights. Even though I specifically rerequested closely to internet node, we had no internet for entire stay. When I made reservation I was assured we would. It worked fine if I sat in front of the office. Also rooms do need coffee makers and hairdryers. Not sure we would stay here again. However, the room was very clean

• Stayed: July 2013
wyominglady, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Hello Edgeton Family ~

Thank you for staying with us! ~ We are glad to hear that you found your room to be clean and comfortable. We hope to build on the positive attributes you saw on the property and hope that you will find in the weeks, months, and seasons to come that the property's list of "Pro's" will far outweigh any of the negative's.

We have had several guests comment or request the addition of coffee pots and blow dryers being put into the rooms. We have heard your requests!! We have ordered the coffee pots and hope to have them in the coming weeks. We are in the process of getting quotes on blow dryers and working with our maintence man on the best place to install them. We hope to have them by next season. In the meantime, we do have coffee available all day in the Lobby and we do have blow dryers available for guests to use.

Now, to move on and address the issue of the Wireless internet. I wish I could tell you that it was a one-time problem, but it continues to be an issue with the entire community of Keystone. For whatever reason, Keystone is a little (maybe a lot) behind when it comes to the wide-world of technology and access to high speed internet. There is only ONE provider in the Keystone community -- We have struggled with our service since we got it. We "thought" we had it set up pretty well when we took over, but obviously - that is NOT the case. There are many properties in the area that have stopped offering it all together because it is such a problem. We are taking a different approach and are going to try this one more time. We have hired a specialist to come in and try to assist us in setting up some boosters and adjust some of the routers we have. We hope this will solve the problem or at least make the service a little more reliable.

Wi-Fi has never been something we built into our pricing, it was just something we offered because we have to have it, so why not allow our guests access to it. However, because we advertise it - we understand we are obligated to correct the issue and we will do our best to resolve it. We know that MANY people (ourselves included) need the internet to function in their day to day lives -- so we will continue to work with the specialist until we have the best possible connection we can get. In the meantime, we invite any guest that is having issues to join us in the lobby or breakfast bar area where we seem to get the best and strongest signal.

I hope that I have addressed some of your concerns. I am sorry that the Wi-Fi was not up to the speed you needed and I regret we were not able to have it fixed in time for you. We hope that if you come back to the Black Hills you will stop back by and check in with us. We appreciate your business and your review.
Many Happy Returns,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I reserved a room for husband and I for two nights as it seemed to be reasonably priced in comparison to others in the area. Since we were to be traveling many nights frugality was important. Before arriving I had a call in transit asking if we would switch from a dbl queen room to a king room which didn't matter to us and was $10 cheaper per night. When we arrived and paid for the two nights and entered the room, the pillows were tossed about on the end of the bed with NO pillowcases on them. The friendly attendant at the time said she would take care of it. It looked like whoever was cleaning the room got called away on the spur of the moment and just forgot about it. When we got settled in our room I tried to connect to internet on our laptop but was unable to at all during the 2 day stay. The excuses were the rain, location etc. To us this should be explained before any reservation or money exchanged. Understandably the location of the area can be the luck of the draw for internet or mobile connection, but should not be advertised as an ammenity if it is unaccessible. To us this is deceptive. ALSO no coffee pot? really in the year 2013 this should be a fixture in any room. No one is around to make coffee until 7 or after..A lot of folks are up by 5:30 or 6. I would suggest that the parking area be paved as when it rains as it did during our stay, all the gravel, dirt etc. in the parking area comes in the room on the shoes making a gritty mess, The sink area is awkward being in the bedroom area not the bathroom, but that's a minor issue. The breakfast offered should be expanded. That is one plus most folks look for these days when traveling after spending most of the vacation budget on fuel and rooms. Rooms very sparsely furnished...but that's minor as well. More than likely if we travel to that area of the country again, we will look elsewhere for accommodations.

Room Tip: If morning coffee, internet or a delicious breakfast aren't your priority, this motel would be o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family of 4recently stayed here. Another motel that was already booked, recommended I call The Brookside. She informed me that it had recently been renovated and everything was brand new. When we arrived, I must say we were a bit nervous. After checking in, we went to our 2room "suite". The comfort "homey" feel is completely non exisistant. The rooms are in desperate need of decoration. I was less than impressed with the dust under the new beds, the fact that there was no coffee pot or blow dryer. Also, the water in the shower does not drain fast enough, thus getting the bottom of the fabric shower curtain wet and causing it to stink up the bathroom. (major yuck) Now the positive.......during our stay we encountered just 2 front desk employees, both we're very friendly and helpful. I loved the location. Kind of tucked back in the corner, yet close to everything. We walked many places and it was quiet at night. The pool is tiny, but perfect for taking a 20 min dip to cool off. I know that there are new owners and hope they take the constructive criticism and are pro active about it. If tweaks were made, we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
wyominglady, Managing Partner at Brookside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Christina ~
Thanks for staying with us and for posting a very HELPFUL review! ~ Your feedback has been very instrumental in decisions that we have made at the property. I can't express to our guests enough how critical it is to us that they share their idea's and their opinions with us -- especially as we a new to this property. We learn more every day - but the learning curve can be accelerated with guests that are willing to give constructive feedback, like yourself!

Now, the good news -- We have already addressed some of the issues in your review. We have new coffee pots for the rooms on the way. I have looked at and am in the process of getting quotes for blow dryers - we hope to have them this year, but certainly in time for next season. We addressed the draining issue's in the rooms and now all of them seem to be draining faster. We also ordered vinyl shower curtains to replace the "cloth" curtains that are currently in the rooms. In the meantime, we are rotating the shower curtains weekly so they are being washed. As far as the dust under the beds -- no excuse. Those should be cleaned daily. This was a housekeeping issue and has been addressed.

The rooms are lacking the "homey" or "Cozy" feel that ultimately we want our guests to feel. As I have stated in earlier reviews, this is something that just wasn't at the top of the list when we took over in May. Even so, it is something we are looking forward to working on during the "slow" season. We have some great idea's and we are always looking for more. If you have any thoughts or suggestions of things we can do to make the rooms more comfortable and a little more inviting, I encourage you to contact me. We love guest idea's!

Again, we appreciate you staying with us and taking time to post a review. We hope that if you are ever in our area again, you will stop by and check out the changes we have made. We think you will be impressed!

Safe Travels!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had an overnight stay here to head home the next day at the Rapid City airport. We were looking for something reasonable and not too expensive. Well, that is what we received. We weren't sure what to expect. The motel is a very bright blue apartment style complex with a fenced in pool in the middle. We were upstairs and the room was clean but very outdated looking. The only good thing we can say is that is was clean, but room just didn't feel very welcoming with the bare minimum furnishings. It reminded me of thrift store finds that were thrown in the room, dresser, table and chairs, TV. No coffee maker in the room! I did not have the breakfast, but my husband and kids did. They said it was ok, nothing special. For what was available at the time, it was fine. Would I stay again, not if something else was available.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking time to post your review. As always, we apprecite your imput and your business.

When we took over the property a couple of months ago, we evaluated what we felt was most important. Obviously, we didn't have much time to do some of the projects we would have liked to as it was the start of our season and we had reservations already coming in. Our priority was, and will remain to offer our guests a good value. We were glad to hear you feel we are meeting our goal! We are also very happy to hear that our cleaning staff is keeping up with another one of our goals -- and keeping the property and rooms spotless.

Certainly, we understand that we don't have the "frills" as some of the new motels in the area. We have never claimed to be. At the same time, we aren't charging for those "frills". We are a small, locally owned and operated operation. Our target market is family's who are traveling on a budget. We will do whatever we can to offer our guests the very best for their money. We may not always get it right -- but I assure you, it will ALWAYS have our best effort behind it.

Since taking over the motel, we have spent 10's of thousands of dollars on upgrades to better meet the needs of our guests. Including new beds, new linens, new flooring, the addition of a breakfast bar area and a CONTINENTAL breakfast. We added these things because this is what our guests indicated they wanted. I will admit, if it were up to me, I probably would have focused a little more on the "superficial" things -- like painting the outside of the property and putting some lipstick on to pretty things up. However -- our guests come first.

We are looking forward to the "slow" season when we have some time to get into our rooms and add a few of the "touches" that we think will help warm up the rooms and make them feel more like home. In the meantime, we encourage our guests to continue giving us feedback. We also encourage you to stop back by in the coming seasons and see the growth we are making. We hope to make you proud.
Thanks again for your post ~ We hope you enjoyed your time in the Black Hills ~