“An unfortunate choice”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
NSW, Australia
“An unfortunate choice”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a 3 night reservation at this small motel. On a month long road trip this was the first place we arrived where we felt we did not receive a welcome, with the girl at the desk taking our payment for the 3 nights with the minimum of attention or information. The room had two baths but no shower at all (it took us a while to realise the showerhead above one bath was not connected). No coffee facilities in the room and no wifi reception. Floor was dusty and appeared not to have been cleaned, We were also unlucky that first night in that the neighbour was a truckie who left very early and noisily. We tried twice that evening to find service in the office to request a room change (we just wanted a shower) with no luck - the office was not open during its advertised hours. Again in the morning the office was not open at the time advertised, nor could we find the 'free breakfast' anywhere. We were so annoyed we decided to leave and moved for the remaining 2 nights to another hotel where we received much better service for almost the same rate. We put the loss of 2 nights payment down to our own unfortunate choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wompoo773
wyominglady, Owner at Brookside Motel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Wompoo773,

First, let me apologize for the disappointing experience you had during your time at the Brookside. Having just learned of this situation, I am in the process of trying to trace back to the dates you were here and find out who was working those days and so I can better address the issues. The bottom line is that what you dealt with while you were here on our property is not acceptable. It does NOT meet our standards and it will be addressed.

While there are NO excuses for the issues you faced when you were here, I do want to assure you that we have been able to refocus and redirect our staff. We have owned the property for a little over a month now and in that time, we have changed our on-site management, hired a FULL time staff (as there should ALWAYS be someone at the desk.) We opened the new breakfast bar and have a breakfast bar attendant to assist our guests with breakfast and any questions about the area. Our cleaning staff has been doubled, to insure that you will be getting the best quality and cleanest rooms around. In addition to all of these things, the bedding, new beds, and continuous upgrades we are making, we know we have gotten on the right track. It is INCREDIBLY disappointing to learn of your experience.

The Wi-Fi is an issue that we continue to have problems with and we are doing our best to get those problems resolved. The issue is not with the motel, it is with the location of the Motel and the area. The entire area of Keystone has trouble with internet service. We certainly understand your frustration. We have and we will continue to work to find ways to get better service and provide better access to our guests. We have hired a specialist to come and look at the property to see if we can put up boosters or anything to get better/faster coverage. In the meantime, we are happy to offer free-wi-fi to our guests, where it is available on the property.

Lastly, from the sounds of your review, you were not able to speak to anyone about your concerns prior to leaving the property. Our bottom line is that we want our guests to leave happy. If a guest is unsatisfied, it is our responsibility to see if there is something reasonable we can do to fix it. We can only do that if we are made aware of the problems. I regret I was not made aware of your unsatisfactory stay sooner.

If you would, please contact me directly - I would be more than happy to credit you for your stay. If you pass our way again, I really do hope that you will stop in and check on us, I believe you would be pleased.

Safe Travels,
Tammy Gilbertson
Keystone, SD
1-800-551-9381

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was looking for a reasonable price in Keystone, and I found it in the Brookside. The rooms are clean and recently remodeled. Almost everything in the rooms is new; flooring, ceilings, wall paint, fixtures, bathroom shower, bed and furniture. My room with a queen bed was 12x12. The very small sink and mirror is located in the 12x12 portion of the room. The separate toilet and shower is very small. The closet is a small metal rack hanging on the wall. TV is old fashioned CRT. Nice desk and refrigerator. New room phone. New climate control unit high in wall.

But this part was very disappointing. They advertise free wifi in the rooms. I tried many times and could not connect. The signals on the three routers were very weak, to the point of not being available. I had to use my phone for whatever internet needs I had. Staff was generally very pleasant and helpful.

Bottom line is that it is still not as nice as you might expect for a newly remodeled room. Most of the rooms are in a strip along a small highway. I thought road noise might be a problem, but it really wasn't. I also heard very little noise during the night.

Breakfast is from 7:30 to 9:30, a little late for me. They had frozen French toast and hard boiled eggs the morning I was there, as well as yogurt and apple juice. I couldn't find any tea however and was a little disappointed. There is a small swimming pool which seems to be well maintained.

Would I stay here again? Yes, for the value. I would lower my expectations for environment/comfort and enjoy the bargain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skytrekker
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My parents,sister(10 at the time) and I (12 at the time),stayed at Brookside in early July 2012.While this review is almost a year late,I still thought I should share my experience.My family stayed in the 2 bedroom suite.The room was impeccably clean,very spacious,and had a nice rustic feel to it.The beds were super comfortable and the showers had great water pressure and temperature.My favorite part was the pool.Me and my sister would walk there every evening after dinner to relax a little before going to bed.When we stayed there the breakfast bar wasn't there yet,but the innkeeper recommended some great restaurants.Someday I wish to return to Brookside and relive that wonderful week long vacation.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank TravelLover1865
plainview, tx
Reviewed June 30, 2013

stayed here 6/24 and 6/25. a little off the beaten path but an easy walk to the "strip" and the black hills train. big thunder gold mine is right out the front door. small pool but it is the perfect size to cool off in.. we picked this place because the owner directly responds to reviews which means to me that they care about what customers say.. our cabin had a little porch where you could just sit and unwind and enjoy the surroundings. room was immaculate. only pet peeve was no in room coffee and the office doesn't open early so early risers like myself will have to wait for that first cup, the second morning , i swear it was so weak you could literally read a newspaper through it, but those are only very minor issues and should not detract from the property, there is an old grocery store down past the mine that is worth the walk. would definitely recommend the brookside to all and would definitely stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bill n
wyominglady, General Manager at Brookside Motel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post you're review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us -- and you can rest assured that the owners DO value your input and DO hear what our guests are saying.

As you may know, we have just recently taken over the Brookside (One month ago.) Coffee pots in the room is certainly something that you will be seeing in the rooms in the near future! (We hope by the end of the season.) In the meantime, we do have coffee containers that we allow our guests to take to their rooms.

As far as the coffee in lobby -- we kind of go back and forth on that one. Coffee is one of those things that we can never do perfect for everyone. Some people like it strong, and some people like it more like coffee flavored water. We have ordered a new coffee system for the lobby that will make fresh by the cup and allow you to set the strength. We hope that will allow you to enjoy coffee just the way you like it.

Again, Thanks for staying with us -- and for your feedback! We look forward to your next visit!
Safe Travels!
Tammy Gilbertson
Manteca, California
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A lightning storm forced my mom and our friend out of our tent and onto the streets of Keystone, SD, frantically searching for a room at various hotels. Alas, all the hotels seemed to be full, noisy, or exorbitantly priced. I was just beginning to despair when a clerk at one of the other hotels recommended Brookside--and I'm so thankful he did! The room was reasonably priced, recently redecorated (new mattresses, too), and CLEAN! The hotel was an oasis from the crowded and noisy streets of Keystone (I know what you're thinking, but it can get a little crazy around Mt. Rushmore). In addition to the great room, there was also a free breakfast (2 types of cereal, a variety of breads ready for the toaster, hard-boiled eggs, biscuits/gravy, coffee, OJ, milk,..and probably other things I don't remember). Even better than all of this were the wonderful people running the hotel. They were so friendly and funny that, by the time I left the office, the stress and tension I had been feeling had completely dissolved. It turned out to be a great night, due in no small part to their kindness and good nature. If I ever make the trip back to SD, I won't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah R
Hallsville, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were on a tent vacation when the weather went cold on us, heading to see Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Several motels had marquees that said rooms $49.95, but when we came in it was $129. We happened by the Brookside Motel, and were greeted cheerfully by Anna, who set us up for half what we had been offer. Not luxury, but better than a tent in inclimate weather, very clean, and just can't say enough about the staff. Thanks for the great hospitality!! Julie and Ed Burg, Mo

Room Tip: Duplex cabins that share a porch with chairs. Each room has a picnic table. Very simple and clean...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B
Nebraska
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent two nights at the Brookside with our 13 year old daughter. I was a bit nervous when we pulled up to the bright blue building (which I am told is being repainted soon) but my fears were out at ease when I walked into the office. We were greeted by a friendly young woman who was more than accommodating to our request for a "two room" accommodation. This isn't what we booked, but heard the person in front of us say they had one and thought it would be nice to have the extra privacy. The rate was flat out amazing for this tourist area, we literally would have spent more at a Super 8 and would have missed the family touches and great location.

It is true that there is some remodeling going on at the property, the breakfast bar was just finished up the day we left. Our room, while not fancy, was sparkling clean, spacious and comfortable. True the TV was smallish but who goes to the Black Hills to watch TV? We had plenty of hot water for showers (sometimes a concern in older hotels) and the room was quiet dispite a family with young children staying above us. We slept like rocks with the cool mountain air coming through the screened window.

The location of the hotel is about a five minute walk to the "strip" and a 1-2 minute drive to the general parking area if you are unable to walk any distance. Then major pluses of this location to us were 1) it IS brook side with a mown grassy area behind the hotel that was stunning and tranquil 2) it's in historic Keystone next two two historic homes and a gold mine. But I'm a history nerd, my husband and I went for a late night walk reading the historic markers and enjoying the serenity of the evening.

I'd pick a family style lodging any day over a discount chain or "big box" hotel. It reminds me of what a true family vacation is about, time together, meeting new people and immersing yourself in the local culture. Thank you ladies for a lovely place to stay and some great memories!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family