“Fun Ride But Be Careful!”

Rushmore Tramway Adventures
Ranked #3 of 23 things to do in Keystone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Rushmore Tramway Adventures offers a little bit of something for everyone. From action-packed adventurers to enjoying the beautiful Black Hills with breath-taking views of Mount Rushmore National Memorial, people of all ages and abilities can find their inspiration. You just can't seem to go wrong with this family getaway during your summer vacation!
Appleton City, Missouri
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Fun Ride But Be Careful!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This ride is fun if you're careful but can be dangerous if you're not. (You have to sign a waiver before you can ride so that says something)! My nephew & grandson rode without incident but my husband didn't lean into the turn enough & wiped out. He actually fell off of the sled & burned his leg & arm on the slide & cut his thumb. (should have gotten stitches but didn't). The ski lift up takes about 8 minutes & the slide down is over pretty quick. There's a fast lane & a slower lane & the rider controls the speed with the brake on the sled. (btw, if it's raining they shut down because the brake doesn't work if the sled is wet. Also, there are no refunds if it does shut down & doesn't re-open. Just a rain check which wouldn't work for most people who don't stay here multiple days)! It's fun but pricey! The workers here are very friendly, btw.

1 Thank rannydef

Fort Myers, Florida
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“Try it at least once”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was so excited to go here because we had one nearby to where I grew up in New York back in the 80's. I remembered as a child how many people would get hurt on this type of slide, but it was almost always the extreme sports minded people that got hurt. I always enjoyed going fast on this type of ride and never got hurt myself. So when I had the opportunity to take my children here, ages 11 and 12, I was really looking forward to it. The chairlift up was nice and peaceful and if you look carefully you get a view of Mount Rushmore at one point. Also, at the top there is a deck that you can climb to for a great photo op! We all rode down without incident and I went quite fast. I really think the trick to having safety on this ride is just common sense - slow down when you go around a turn! I do agree that this was quite expensive for the amount of time this entertains you, but it really is a one of a kind experience. As far as I know there is only one other slide like this is which is in Gatlinburg, TN. I gave it a "very good" rating instead of an "excellent" one because the track is so short. It is over in about 2 minutes, maybe less.

1 Thank Phillitravels
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Fun!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The kids loved this. It was a beautiful sunny day and added an extra element of tun to our trip while we were in Keystone. The prices were reasonable!

Saint Charles, Missouri
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Exciting, fun, expensive”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My son is a small, 9yr old. He looked forward to this part of our trip- hitting the Alpine Slide. He would have enjoyed the zipline except he did not weigh enough to participate. We were at first a little concerned about having to sign a waiver but in the end was no big deal. (I think its more of an issue for those who can get a little out of hand with having too much fun- I can see where it is possible to get hurt if you go acting foolish.) For those participating with families we felt it was safe. I also like that there are 2 lanes so that those who want to go full throttle can do so without interfering with those doing a leisure ride. The tickets are pricey, if you can work it out use the 5 pass deal. There are 3 of us and we all rode twice- 9yr old wanted to go more but we spent enough $$. So you ride the ski lift up to the platform- they claim to have some sort of Garden area to view at the top which is ok, but I would not pay the lift price just to see it. Never had to wait in line- not busy. There is a bonus view of Mount Rushmore that was nice. And, as many places have, you can get a souvenir photo of your ride on ski lift and/or riding the alpine slide. We viewed the photos for a good laugh but I did not pay attention to the pricing and did not purchase. There is also some sort of aerial tour thing (like an adult jungle gym through the forest trees) but we did not do this as our son was not big enough- maybe next time.

3 Thank LilGmom13
Saint Louis, Missouri
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“Pricey, but fun”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Our young son wanted to do this. It is a little pricey, but, worth it in many ways. You ride up to the top on a ski lift. At the top there is a little snack shack and some really great views, especially of Mt. Rushmore. There are two tracks, one for faster patrons, and one that is slower. Our son took the slower track. He really enjoyed it. For those of you with much younger children you are allowed to have them on your lap. You can race down the hill pretty fast, or for those less daring, the speed of mud is acceptable as well. The more rides you purchase up front, the less per ride it costs. They do have packages. It's fun. Kids love it. Adults kinda do too, but, we'll never admit to that. Have a great time!!!

1 Thank MissouriTravelFamily