Review Highlights
Fantastic outdoor experience (half-day “claim panning”

Just completed a family trip to the Black Hills area and took our two boys (6 and 11) for the... read more

Reviewed October 23, 2020
PackTheBagAndGo
Arlington, Virginia
via mobile
Claim Gold Panning

We had an awesome time doing the half day claim panning trip. Our guide was phenomenal, we all... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 23, 2020
kristin762
Saint Paul, Minnesota

Recommended experiences in and around Keystone
from $325.00
from $83.74
from $329.00
1,113 results
All reviews our tour guide rattlesnake randy hard hats fun experience great guide gift shop black hills a lot of fun panning claim trenton mining flaky sluice flecks dirt pans
Selected filters
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The mine itself and display of old mining instruments was interesting and enough to make the tour bearable. Other than that, the guide was terrible and the whole setup seemed gimmicky. What could have been a 10-20 minutes well put together tour turned into an hour of rambling and attempts at getting a chuckle out of the group. At some points I considered leaving the tour to salvage the rest of the afternoon. I only paid half price with a coupon and even that seemed to be too much for what was given in return. I would avoid the tour if you come this way.

2  Thank logans24
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We didn't do the gold mine tour due to time and cost. We did pan for gold; it was okay to kind of get the experience. Got some gold flakes and some other pretty rocks. Just be patient and keep searching the troughs.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had some free time after Mt.Rushmore visit, so planned to do gold panning. The guys are more interested in the mine tour and they chose it. Gold panning will be fun only if you have enough patience to find a gold flake. Its more of kids entertainment. If ou have not done panning before, just try for the different experience.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Find out who your guide will be before you take the tour. The girl we had kept forgetting her memorized lines and we lost interest in no time. I am sure she is trying her best but it's not working. The gold panning was more interesting and kids loved it

Reviewed July 13, 2014

If you are passing by Keystone I recommend you stop here. I only did the gold panning but it was really fun. Rattle snake randy (A very experienced gold panner) Helped me with the procedure. I found a couple of flakes in 2 hours. It was very fun.

1  Thank E T