“Food with a VIEW” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carvers Cafe

Carvers Cafe
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Keystone
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Grand Marais, Minnesota
“Food with a VIEW”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Visiting "the men on the mountain" for 3 hours and decided to have lunch. A non-busy Thursday afternoon. The food was fresh, plentiful, and great variety of full meals, soup, chili, or grilled sandwiches. The tables are large and while there were only 2 of us we were joined by 2 others and had nice time chatting about travels. Prices a bit high but not robbery level, and with the ability to choose during the trip through the cafeteria a person can tailor what amount to spend. Overall good experience in eating and great to be at Mt. Rushmore.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank PMA6642

Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
“A Rustic atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Need a late snack while at Mt Rushmore. The grab a bit because once back into Keystone places shut down by 9PM. A bit pricey if you ask me but while waiting for the lightning ceremony it's ok. The food is good and the facility very clean. The is more then enough seating area so that you wont feel like you are crowded.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank pretblueye
“just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were coming to the lighting ceremony and thought that we would get a bite to eat at the memorial. The food was not the best that we have tasted, but not the worst either. The staff appeared unfriendly (no smiles). I would suggest that if you wanted to eat prior to the ceremony, do so in one of the towns, before coming to the memorial.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Winnipeg, MB
“Better than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Based on previous visits to Mount Rushmore Monument I was relectant to eat at the Carvers Cafe. However, since I arrived there very early in the morning to shoot sunrise photo;s, I was very hungry by 9:00 a.m and decided to at least get something to eat here. I elected to try the "Monumental Breakfast" which was offered at $5.99. It was not great, but much better than expected.
I ate there again the following day when I was there to set up an evening photoshoot. I decided to have some dinner before setting up for the shoot. After a glance at the menu offerings, I elected to try the "New England Style Pot Roast" offered at $9.99. I was very plesantly surprised by the pot roast which was very tasty, altough the potatoes, veggies and bun left a lot to be desired.
Considering that the Carvers Cafe is another Xantera cafetaria, the food I tried was better than in a few other Xantera locations.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jomoud
Ottumwa, Iowa
“Terrible terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Spent $9 on the worst buffalo burger ever....was dried up and when I bit into it...I was thinking mcdonalds but worse....fries were warm...do not eat here!!!

2 Thank WorldTravellerMatty
Xanterra, Manager at Carvers Cafe, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit to Carvers Cafe.

I became somewhat discouraged after reading about your experience at this restaurant. A dried up burger, worse than a fast food restaurant is certainly not the type of sentiment we wish to create here. My staff should have been more attentive to the fact that your food was below our standards. I will address your feedback with my restaurant staff to ensure a situation like yours never happens again. I am hopeful that we will be able to correct this issue immediately.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope you will consider returning to Carvers Cafe and dining with us again. Should you return, please ask for me so I can personally ensure your next meals are far more enjoyable.

Russ Jobman
rjobman@xanterra.com

Been to Carvers Cafe? Share your experiences!