“A great place to rest your head and get a shower!”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Keystone
united states
“A great place to rest your head and get a shower!”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I was very leery of this hotel, given some of the poor reviews, but I was lured in by the fantastic rates and location. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! The parking is tight, the bathrooms are small, but if you are looking for a clean place to sleep and take a shower in between the South Dakota attractions, you couldn't ask for a better deal. The room was clean, the staff was pleasant, the kids loved the pool, it was too chilly for me, but the kids didn't mind a bit, I opted for the hot tub! We stayed at a Comfort Inn the previous night that wasn't any nicer! Don't listen to all the negative reviews - this is a fine motel with a wonderful location!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Just returned from a long, long road trip. We stayed at this motel Thursday and Friday. We were in a suite consisting of 2 queen beds, 1 king bed and a fold out couch. Fake fireplace, sink, stove, microwave, coffee maker and a small fridge. The bathroom was huge with a very large jacuzzi tub.

We never used the pool services, so I can't comment about that. I can say that our stay was pleasant, room was spacious and clean and the front desk was friendly.

I do agree with other posters concerning the parking. There are very limited parking spaces available and the 2nd evening after going back to the hotel, I noticed they had blocked off a very large portion of the parking lot with traffic cones. When I inquired at the front desk about this, I was told a large tour bus was coming in and they were reserving the space for this bus. This took about 8 parking spaces out of commission and that was pretty annoying.

There is nothing special about this motel, but there was nothing horrible about it either. We had a pleasant stay, no issues with the employees, no issue with the charges and found it to be a pretty good value.

This was the second year in a row we have gone to Keystone. Last year we stayed at the Mt Rushmore White House and had the same problems with parking. It seems to be a problem in this town.

1 Thank Memphisbelle
Oconto
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Travling from WI we decided to book rooms in advance I found this one on the internet fro $49.95 but when called they stated all they had were master suites gor $149.95 that was fine we had 5 people.. I looked at the internet before we left and they had a special for $99.95 I called and was given the cheeper rates. When we arrived the staff never told us about the 5 dolar off coupon we could have used and we were told the pool heater and the hot tub were being fixed that evening. We stayed 3 nights and the pool was never fixed when we checked out and asked if you could use the coupon we were told no because we did not present at check in. When I stated I did not know there was a coupon the young jamican man stated I do not care I am not from here and it does not matter to me. The hotel room was nice the parking was horible.

2 Thank ladybug1997
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I found this hotel online and selected it based on location. I work in the hotel industry, so I have a pretty keen sense on how a hotel should operate.

Our issues began right from check-in. When my wife and I arrived at the front desk, there were two employees; one was on her cell phone texting, and the other was reading a newspaper. They both looked at each other trying to decide who would assist us. Finally, the gentleman stepped up to assist while the other stayed on her cell phone texting. When my wife and I got to our room it seemed to be ok. My wife went into the shower and realized we weren't given any shampoo. I called down to the front desk to have some shampoo brought up, and we were told we'd have to come down to pick it up ourselves (this after already knowing there were two individuals sitting there).

The next afternoon my wife and I returned from site-seeing and wanted to use the pool/hot tub. Not only was the pool ice cold, but so was the hot tub. The jets in the hot tub didn't even work. After going back to our room, my wife and I decided to go out for dinner. Upon leaving the hotel, we saw the front desk employee outside smoking and talking on her cell phone. There was no one covering the front desk to assist guests. It was a terrible situation to witness.

Our check-out experience was the only positive experience of this trip - and we were glad to be leaving!!

Other issues with the hotel: only given two pillows on the bed, the mattress springs were broken and the bed had many "valleys" you rolled into, the TV only had 4 or 5 channels available - the others were not being received by the satellite.

Overall bad experience, and would never stay in the hotel again or recommend it to any family/friends.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avidtraveler659

Travelers are raving about these Keystone hotels

Black Hills, SD
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husband, myself, and our children live in the area but we had my mom and sister staying with us and wanted a hotel room for one night so we could swim and have a fun time with the kids. We found the online special of $99.95 a night for a master suite and upon checking in on a Friday evening we were pretty impressed. That didn't last long. While walking into the room we saw 2 double beds, a king, and a single pull out...it was going to work perfectly for us! We decided to go for a swim right away...the kids were ready. We couldn't get into the pool because their gate was jammed, it took my husband 10 minutes to get it open! After swimming we we for a night walk on the boardwalk and returned to our room at 10:01. We turned on the TV to find there was no satelite signal. Hubby went to ask about it at front desk, they were VERY rude to him and proceeded to tell him it had been out since the last bad storm...we live in the area, that had happened to be before I have even made reservations and NO ONE mentioned it! While he was down there the woman at the front desk (not knowing which room he was from) turned the guy and said "room #{our room} needs a phone call, fake that we have had noise complaints and tell them to quiet down!" My husband came to make sure we had received a phone call, it had come at 10:06 just 5 minutes after getting back in the hotel and we were getting ready for bed! My husband made an appointment with the manager in the morning and we were afraid to even get out of our beds!

The next morning we all went down to talk to Chris and he told us that he would give us $10 off...we asked to speak to someone that had some pull because we thought making up a complaint and lieing to a customer needs to be brought to his attention. He said we didn't want to talk to him and refused us that right. We were then threatened to be double charged for our room if we were not out (we had already turned in our keys and it was over and hour before their listed check out time.) Come to find out they had already charged my card that we used to 'hold' the room even though they had been told that they were not authorized to charge it because we were going to split the room 3 ways. To bring this long story to an end, we asked why we THE CUSTOMERS were getting treated like the guilty parties when we were the ones that had been mistreated and lied to by HIS staff and he tried to kick us out of the hotel! We told him to go ahead and call the cops because he had charged an unauthorized card...he refused, took our form of payment and very quickly said he refunded the charge on the unauthorized card! Once we arrived home we checked and the refund has not been made and we are calling our lawyer!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD VACATION!

4 Thank pumpkinspatch
Iowa
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This is one hotel you need to avoid!!!
The room was fine but don't expect any extra's. No coffee or coffee pot in the room. No shampoo in the room. No hair dryer in the room. The pool was supposedly OK, but was about 60 degrees. We heard they were waiting for a heater but the manager said it was fixed. It was too cold for us to use. The manager was extremely rude to us.
If you are staying with a motorcycle, beware. We were asked to move our bikes to a small space to allow room for other vehicles. Although we paid the same, we obliged and asked that we get to park there each night. We were traveling with another couple on a motorcycle. The parking lot only allows for about half the number of spaces as the number of rooms they have. Otherwise you have to park across the street. Many, many people with cars were upset about this. When we came in our third evening about 7PM, the manager had parked a small car in the tiny motorcycle spot. When I confronted him about our not being able to park our bikes there, he became beligerant and threatening and told us to pack up and get out of his hotel. I asked him to call the police. He declined. He didn't know what room we were in before we went into our room, so he couldn't lock us out, but we had to stay there the rest of the evening so he couldn't lock us out. This ruined our night. The reason we felt he would do this is because when he heard another customer complaining about the parking, he locked them out of their rooms (3 of them) and they had lots of kids. He finally did let them in after they went back to confront him about it. Two minutes after we checked out, he sent his staff in to our room to check it out, as if we had trashed it. We are decent, educated, middle class people and wouldn't think of anything like that.
This hotel is customer un-friendly! They promise what they have no intention of keeping or doing. We would rather stay in a tent than have to stay in his hotel again.
We are 60 years old and are not sturgis types. We hope you take this warning and not stay at any of their hotels.
We are going to advise the BBB and C of C, as well as other tourist sources they list. We have never complained before like this, but it is worth doing after being treated like we were.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thehappytravelers_9
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Hotel was ok. The staff was friendly. No Refrigerator in room, no contential breakfast, Pool heater was broke the whole 4 days we stayed there. Parking was terrible. Very limited space so if you went out at night you would end up parking in the street. But the location is great right on boardwalk. The rooms are very outdated.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family