“A Perfect Gem Nestled in the Black Hills!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kemp's Kamp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Kemp's Kamp
Saskatoon, Canada
“A Perfect Gem Nestled in the Black Hills!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just spent five fabulous days at Kemp's Kamp near Keystone and it was one of the best family holidays we have ever been on!

The 2 bedroom cabin was clean, had all the utensils, linens and toiletries we needed and yes the TV is small but really when you're holidaying in the Hills who wants to watch TV? Spencer (the nephew of the owner) was fantastic, friendly, hospitable and always checked to see if we needed extra linens. He offered good information about where to eat and what to do.

Our children (12 and 15) spent at least two hours a day playing in the pool (which Spencer cleaned every morning at 8:30 am). We were told that we could use a campsite if we wanted to grill food or roast marshmallows as there are no grills or fire pits at the cabin (we had checked this out before we came so brought our own portable grill).

This campsite/cabin is located 5 min. away from Keystone and is nestled in a quaint area on Old Hill Road. There was hardly any traffic except for the old train that came by a few times a day, which was a treat as the kids liked to wave to the passengers. We saw dear, wild turkey and squirrels out the front porch.

It was very peaceful the week we chose as most of the US children were back in school (ours weren't back in until after the long weekend). We thought it would get busier Sept. long however it was still not very busy. And the weather was the best we'd had all summer. We got lucky on many fronts.

The price was one of the best in the area for what we needed (2 bedroom cabin - we searched online through at least 10), it was clean, comfortable, air conditioned and had something for all of us. I would totally recommend this location to anyone and this is one of the few places I would say that I would like to go back to (we travel a lot and like to find new things to do, a week wasn't enough time to do it all).

Yes the manager is "moody" (he was never rude, just not very outgoing and friendly), but if you look for the positive and don't take it personally wherever you go it will always be a good time!

Room Tip: If you want more privacy and don't need to be close to the pool go for the deluxe cabins as they...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Annie-Marie1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for the night on our cross country event. Good pull thru. Great hookups. Swimming pool was clean, uncluttered, and refreshing. Laundry and restroom were spotless. Will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank TerrySchaefer
Rock Falls, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at this beautiful location for 4 days. Ladies bath house was clean, shower stalls were clean, water was hot. Shower stall, changing area with 2 hooks for your clothes were private. Electricity by the sinks for your blow dryer. Husband said a man came out of the bathroom complaining there was no hot water in the shower but he showered next and said the guy must not have known how to work the water. Wood and ice on premises to purchase. Manager and staff were friendly and very helpful with local attractions worth checking out that we otherwise wouldn't have seen. We didn't use the pool but it was clean and people were in it every day. Laundry facility in same building as showers. We tent camped by some beautiful scenery and met wonderful folks who camped near us. We would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We tent camped near the rock formations. Probably should have used an additional tarp underneath (w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LuvGlobetrotting
Alta, IA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

If you're looking for a hassle-free, priced-right, convenient spot to lie your head and have the camping experience, then DO NOT stay here. We (3 men in our thirties) stayed in one of the cabins, which were adequate, at best. There are no frills and the price vs. convenience makes these cabins not worth the price you pay. We found other accommodations that were reasonably priced, had better service, and were much friendlier.

Issues we had:

1) The pool was disgusting and trashed. - You could tell that there was little upkeep, even though we saw some kids using it. I'm not sure they were supervised because I highly doubt any adult would allow their child to be in that environment.

2) We did not realize there was no fire pit - We were looking forward to sitting around the fire pit for conversation, but missed out on that because of this lack of basic necessity when camping.

3) The site advertises "Free Wi-Fi" but the Wi-Fi was limited to the residence only, no other cabin or camping site had Wi-Fi access. - I had to conduct some business while on my trip and had to go to a local hotel and act like a customer in order to use their business services area. It rained a couple days while we were out there and wanted to watch Netflix but couldn't because of not having cellular or Wi-Fi access.

4) The air conditioning was inadequate and didn't put out much cool air, especially for the bedrooms. The air conditioner just blows into the main room. We had to go to the Rapid City Walmart and buy fans. Manager's are unavailable after 8:00p so if you need something, it's very difficult to try to get a hold of someone. We ended just taking care of things ourselves.

5) The plumbing in Cabins is not vented, as you hear gurgling sounds all of the time when either side used the toilet, sinks, or shower. Two of the people we were with us are plumbers and that's what they said it was.

6) When we arrived, the male manager remarked that one of our motorcycles sounded sick and thought it was a train, which we thought was a horrible thing to say, beings there was nothing wrong with it.

7) We rode motorcycles and one of the members of our party had mistakenly used a towel from the bathroom to wipe his seat and windshield off. According to management, we ruined the towel and they charged our credit card $30. Those towels are no where near $30 towels, they're the same type of towels used at Correctional Institutions and State Hospitals for the Mentally Ill. I should know, because I've worked as a Paramedic at both of these types of institutions. They are not the nice, fluffy towels you would see at Holiday Inn or other hotel chain. However, we admitted it was our mistake and lamented to the fact that they charged us $30 for a poor quality of towel, but accepted it. Well, the next day the female owner comes to our cabin and yells at us through the screen door, which was quite embarrassing, about whether we would use our personal towels to wipe off our motorcycles, etc. She was relentless in her attempts to belittle us (for a mistake that we had already owned up to and paid for without question). She was brutal and it was very uncalled for. How could one person have that much hate towards us for ruining a towel? I'm sure they've lost towels or had them destroyed for other reasons but this one seemed to really bother her and she was going to let us know. At that point, we decided to just pack up our stuff and move on.

We had friends stay at the other hotels and campsites around Keystone and Custer State Park, which they really enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank IAMedic

Travelers are raving about these Keystone hotels

Willow Street, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stopped at this campground on a road trip while passing through Mount Rushmore. It was a great overnight stay that was a very convenient distance from Keystone and Mount Rushmore. The 1880 Black Hills Steam Train passes by across the street throughout the day. The pool was nice, but the bath house and laundry weren't the best. I wouldn't plan on doing laundry here unless needed. The staff was also very kind. It has some large rocks behind the campground that had a great view and was a nice climb. It was a very good overnight stay for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ben E
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Beautiful location very close to
all Black Hills attractions. Bath house (ladies) near tent sites has dirty concrete floor with constant puddles that never seem to dry up. Tough to walk from clean shower through dirty puddles to the hook on the wall where you hang your clean towel. Shower dressing stalls could use some of those perforated plastic mats that allow you to step out of the shower onto a relatively dry surface. My husband said these mats were in the men's bath house. A few more hooks on the wall next to the shower wouldn't hurt either. Also, there is no hand soap at all in this bath house.
My only interaction with the owner was when we checked in. He was courteous and informative about suggestions where we could find a good meal and also about the nightly lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore.

• Stayed June 2013
Rapid City, SD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I live about 25 minutes away but I saw this campground a year ago while riding the 1880 train. It struck me as a very pretty campground with a gorgeous, empty pool. I love to swim but don't like to deal with a lot of kids. I stayed here this last weekend. I got the 1 bed cabin right across from the pool. Very clean, with a microwave and dorm fridge and tv and wifi. I was a bit disappointed there were only 8 channels but they were the main ones, TBS, TNT, USA, Fox News, TWC, CBS, and FOX and one other that escapes me. It is in the hills so maybe reception is a factor. I would agree with the comment it is a little inconvenient that there are not shelves or drawers to unpack. I don't agree with the comments that the owner is rude. He might not be a feely guy but when I went to the office to tell him there was a bee in my cabin he immediately came and killed it for me. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Beautiful scenery, got to see the train go by a few times, a wonderful pool. My only complaint, though minor, is that when I was swimming, the lawn guy mowed right around the pool kicking all kinds of debris into the pool but I guess he was on a schedule and it didn't matter that I was in the pool. Overall, I was very impressed!

Room Tip: If you don't like kids, don't get cabins 3 or 4. after 5 it is very noisy with the kids scr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites
The Lodge at Mount Rushmore
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 14 in Keystone

Been to Kemp's Kamp? Share your experiences!