“Dave & Jenny” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Penmachno B&B and Inns
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Dave & Jenny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is an authentic Welsh home, tastefully and comfortably furnished in a rural location. Great welcome, excellent food and service. Nothing was too much trouble - I am a fussy eater and Lauraine prepared evening meals to suit my palate - she went the extra mile - the meals were amazing! A really relaxing break - will be back in a few weeks for a whole week!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vino_Visits, Owner at Penmachno Hall, responded to this review, September 14, 2014
Hi Dave & Jenny

What a great review, thank you so much for taking the time to write it. I am pleased to say that we have seen you again since this review was posted, I do hope that the second visit lived up to the first!

I wouldn't have classed you as a fussy eater, we have managed to deal with far more restrictive diets than yours!!

Simon & Lauraine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

What more can I say the owners are lovely and always willing to help. We've stayed a few times now and had an excellent experience each time. Breakfasts are excellent and the setting is lovely and peaceful. Its about a 10 minute drive to Betws-Y-Coed so right in the middle of Snowdonia.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear James

Just a quick note to say thank you for taking the time to review Penmachno Hall.

As you say we are less than ten minutes drive from Betws y Coed so near enough to take advantage of all the facilities there, but far enough away to avoid the summer hordes!

We do hope that you come back and stay with us again in the near future

S & L
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in the Coach House a few times now I felt compelled to join and leave a review. The Coach House is pretty much everything you could want in self catering accommodation - comfortable, clean and welcoming.

The owners are very friendly and approachable and nothing seems too much trouble. The Coach House is well equipped with pretty much everything you could think of down to toiletries in the bathroom , milk etc and Welsh cakes on arrival, a shelf full of books (which as a book lover is brilliant) etc. It is furnished to a very high standard and is incredibly comfortable (especially the massive beds)! We have also never encountered any midge problems!

The Coach House is also in perfect surroundings - lovely gardens and in the middle of the Welsh countryside.

All in all we have been here a good few times and can't wait to go back again. A gem of a find that deserves the brilliant reviews it has.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Musicality21

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Coach House self catering cottage. We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stays here and look forward to seeing you again next year.

I am glad to hear that you still haven't had any midge problems to date, I had heard that this has been a problem across the whole of the UK this year but am pleased to say that we are midge free this year. I guess it all depends on the weather and time of year.

We were particularly pleased to hear that you appreciate the book collection. I have noticed that a couple of books have been left by previous visitors with a "Please share" message inscribed, and notes of where the books have been picked up and dropped off. It seems that some have travelled the globe!

Thanks again for the kind review

Lymington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

I was taken here as a birthday treat by a close friend and am astonished at some reviews. Yes the accommodation is good but not as good as the high prices charged. Other places closer to Snowdon itself are much better priced for similar accommodation. And that is another disappointment - although geographically in Snowdonia it is right on the edge of the Park and a good drive from the main mountains, lakes and dramatic scenery if that is what you have gone for. Should you want to go for tea or to the shops it is also a considerable drive. The nearest cafe is at least 10 minutes away but that opens erratically . And there is only one pub nearby which caters to walkers but does not do food. otherwise you must go much further afield - and the driving is difficult to the B&B, down small lanes. But worse than all this is that despite keeping our window shut we both got many many insect bites - other guests did too. It really ruined our stay. You could not even sit in the garden for the insects. We mentioned it to the owners but they were not very nice about it. No I strongly suggest you go elsewhere as we will when we go back to Snowdonia again in the near future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 889anthony
Vino_Visits, Owner at Penmachno Hall, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear 889anthony,

Thank you for your comments to which I would like to respond;

First off I feel it is rather dishonest of you not to declare that your visit was over 6 years ago and that you did not actually stay in Penmachno Hall, but actually stayed in our self catering cottage, the Coach House.

I believe that the only reason you have left a review is that you have decided to take exception to my recent response to your "friend"'s review of 6 years ago. as posted here;

(Funny, I thought that she was your wife, not just a friend. Sorry, my mistake!)

How do I know she is your partner?

Well, I noticed that your reviews were so very similar that I looked at your Trip Advisor history and read your reviews of Cobham, and noticed that they are actually cut and paste copies of each other;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-citypage/merionvw/g227128 http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-citypage/889anthony/g227128

So I would refer you to the response I made to your wife / friend, as linked above, and would ask that you desist from trying to post reviews for no other purpose than to damage the reputation of places that your wife has criticised in somewhat unfair terms and then taken exception to the fact that they don't just lie down and take it!

I would also like to point out that in 11 years of trading nobody else has found an issue with having to keep windows closed etc, again I advise you not to leave dead flowers and rotting fruit in your accommodation. I do admit that at certain times of the year, and at particular times of the day, there are midges that are a nuisance. Nobody else has let this spoil their holiday (if you had actually stayed in the guest house, the property that your review refers too, you might understand why!)

You have never stayed in Penmachno Hall, only in the self catering cottage we own, so your comments about value etc are, at the very least, libellous (Dishonest, knowingly inaccurate and in print)! You have absolutely no experience of what is actually provided at Penmachno Hall and so are not in any position to comment on the value, or otherwise, of the accommodation!

As I mentioned in my response to your wife, you booked a self catering cottage so comments regarding the food offer are spurious at best.

I will post this response with the knowledge that Trip Advisor may well remove both my response and your rather dishonest review, but maybe you will get to read it first. I will be putting a copy on Facebook for the record!

The really sad thing about this is that everyone reading your review knows exactly where we are and can contact us directly to query any issues but you have posted both anonymously and dishonestly!

If you have any issue with anything I have said above then please contact me directly, after all, you know where I live!

Regards

Simon
monmouthshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We received a very warm welcome and enjoyed talking to the proprietors. They provided us with good local knowledge and made sure we had an enjoyable stay.

Good facilities such as fruit in the room, nice garden and sitting room.

Lovely breakfast.

We rate this among the very best place we have stayed and already planning to return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear GoodService4Me

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your rather splendid review. I like "Fabulous" lots!

Would be interested to hear back from you regarding all those lovely restaurants in your part of Wales that we talked about!

Do let us know when / if you want to come back, always happy to offer a bit of a discount to returning guests if they ask really nicely!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Just back from Penmachno Hall with a smile on our face after the fantastic time we've had over this bank holiday weekend.
The location was fabulous, the accommodation was to an excellent standard, the food was really lovely, and the selection of wines perfectly matched.
I would like to thank Simon and Lauraine who were brilliant hosts for out celebratory weekend and made us all feel very welcome.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank NevClark1
Hi Nev

Thanks for a second ace review. Please send our love to all and sundry, and hope to see you all again soon.

As is my wont the wine list has changed yet again, and will probably have changed again by the time you come back. So many wines, so little time!

Thanks again for the praise

Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We were made most welcome by the owners of the Hall and our room was delightful and well-equipped ("The Orange Room"). The breakfasts ... in terms of choice AND quality ... were excellent. If visiting the area again, we shall look no further than Penmachno Hall!

Room Tip: Having sampled the attention to detail in our room, I have no reason to doubt that the other two roo...