“A Perfect Welcome”
Review of Abington Hotel

Abington Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Abington
Reviewed August 7, 2013

During my visit to Scotland to see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on a Newmarket Holidays coach trip, I stayed here with my grandparents.

When we arrived, there was a large group of us, but the management was dedicated to making us all welcome in a well organised manner. We were taken into the bar and offered hot drinks while they distributed the keys. The manager introduced himself and the team, who were all friendly and willing to help make your stay the best it could be.

My room was possibly the best hotel room i've ever stayed in. Perfectly laid out with a beautiful view, television, bath/shower facilities, drink facilities, spare bedding... everything you could need basically. The literature provided all the necessary information as well as details of local attractions and a brief history of the hotel.

The only slight issue was the lack of facilities in the surrounding area, as there was only one shop across the road with little else in easy access, although there were bus routes available. On the first night I went for a walk down the road and was treated to some of the local scenery and wildlife, which was great for a keen photographer.

Breakfast was served from 8am, which was more ideal than other hotels which insist you're downstairs by 6am. The breakfast itself was an impressive buffet that included both cooked food and cereals, with both cold drinks and hot drinks supplied regularly by the staff. Although I only had the cereal, I was told the rest of the food was very good. Another nice touch; it was one woman's birthday, and the hotel brought in a cake and made a big fuss of her, complete with the manager leading us in a comedy version of Happy Birthday.

We arranged our evening meal slightly earlier than the rest of the group, as the staff were willing to serve us and recommended we eat before the group comes down. The food was nice, however I did find quite a few bones in my fish, which was a bit of a disappointment.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff. If I was travelling near this part of Scotland again I would certainly revisit this hotel, and I am happy to recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, friendly hotel in this area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Hello to Ben_IamHere and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you were very happy with your room facilities, quality of food and level of customer care afforded to you by my staff.

Your kind and positive comments are most appreciated and I shall ensure that your review is copied and provided to my staff.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have just returned from spending two nights at this pleasant hotel with a Newmarket Holidays coach trip. From the moment we arrived and were greeted with smiles and a cup of coffee we felt relaxed. The facilities, staff, food and ambience were first rate. Set in a delightful quiet village we worlds away from the motorway when in fact it was only a short distance away. Duncan, the manager, was most accommodating to everyone's needs. When our coach returned from The Edinburgh Tattoo he kept the bar open for those who wished for a nightcap.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello to Travel1408 and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read your very kind and positive comments regarding the Hotel, level of customer care you received, quality of food and that you appreciated our location.

I like to keep my staff aware of all guest reviews, and I shall ensure that they receive a copy of your comments.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped here one night while passing through on LEJOG and it was just fine. A little dated and perhaps a but tired but very friendly and helpful staff and very good value.

Big room and comfy beds so a good nights sleep.

Would certainly use again if in the area. I imagine this could be a good stop off point if heading N or S on the motorway. I think the junction is pretty close.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RichardW99

Hello to RichardW99 and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent visit to the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the comforts of your bedroom and had a good nights sleep - something I am sure you must have looked forward to following your LEJOG challenge. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the level of customer care you received from my staff.

We often receive into the Hotel cyclists who are competing in the LEOG/JOGLE challenge. As you have pointed out, given the location of our Hotel we are on one of the LEJOG's recognised routes as well as being located only minutes from the main Scotland/England motorway.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My friend and I stopped at this small family run hotel on the way to, and back from, a motorcycle tour of the Scottish Highlands. Ideal place to stop off to break the journey. The rooms were clean and well presented, everything worked, good showers/bath, good food in the bar although perhaps the beers were a little limited in choice (Boddies or bust!)... perhaps a few good bottled ales might be a welcome addition. Breakfast was excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Hello to Ippikin and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you chose to stay with us both to and from your motorcycle tour and thank you for your positive comments regarding the level of housekeeping, facilities and quality of meals. You have given me something to think about with regard to what we presently offer in the choice of beers!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Abington Hotel.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed for only one night on a trip to the Highlands in early June. The hotel was very quiet while we were there so the parking was adequate but there might be problems at busy times. We knew the hotel was quite old but it was comfortable and the staff were pleasant. The room we had was clean and perfectly adequate for an over night stop. The bed was good which is so important. The location is very convenient for north/south travellers whether using the motorway or taking the 'tourist routes' and we would use it again.

Room Tip: Best to discuss your needs with a member of staff - especially if you have mobility problems - becau...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Hello to Lochan421 and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding my staff, the level of comfort you experienced during your stay and also the convenience of our location.

I hope you had a safe onward journey and an enjoyable time in the Highlands.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed here on a Groupon deal for two nights, with dinner and wine on the first night, and used the opportunity to discover more of the border-country, Lanarkshire and the Pentlands, areas that we usually overlook on our trips to the Highlands.
We had a fabulous stay. The hotel made us incredibly welcome and the staff can't do enough to help as well as doing their best to take the time to get to know their guests.
As other visitors have commented, the hotel is a bit tired in places, but our room was perfectly comfortable, had enough space to move about (although the bathroom was a little cramped) and everything worked (except the wi-fi which they'd called out the engineers to look at on the day we arrived and was mended as we left). The shower was really good quality with a strong water pressure and for me that makes up for any number of problems I might face elsewhere, but there were no problems anyway.
The set menu dinner in the restaurant did not include a huge range of choice and was simple fare - roast, or a similar meat/fish, with veg as the main, soup, pate or melon to start, ice-cream, apple pie or a cold cake (chocolate fudge on night two, cheesecake on night one). However, the food was well-cooked, portions were not unreasonable and they went out of their way to adapt the existing dishes and find alternatives for me that were gluten-free so that I still had a choice. As a result I had poached salmon on both nights which was delicious. The wine was also good quality, although watch out if you are buying your wine - it quickly works out cheaper to get it by the bottle. Breakfast was an adequate hot buffet but perhaps a little on the oily side. Perfectly serviceable to set us up for each day's walking though.
The only real problem in the restaurant was that the hotel was fully booked on the second night due to a coach party. They had sensibly automatically reserved tables in the restaurant for all guests so we had a table for dinner without having asked, but with only two waitressing staff on there were moments of chaos as the coach-load of Germans settled in for dinner. An extra staff member would have made all the difference, although congratulations to the two girls who were serving and coped surprisingly well.
While I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a luxury trip away, it is perfect for a quick overnight. It's only 2 mins from the motorway junction where there is a Days Inn and I would easily choose this hotel over a motorway services. Not just for the warmth of the hospitality but also for the complete package of having good, nutritious meals too. I will certainly be looking to use their 1 night offer advertised on the website next time I'm driving north and need to break my journey.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ammiria

Hello to Ammiria and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a fabulous stay and thank you for your kind and positive comments regarding the welcome you received from my staff, your bedroom and the quality of food offered. Hopefully, you also enjoyed the hills and scenery around the area of the Hotel during your walks.

As you say, we have other great value breaks promoted on our own website. I hope you are able to take advantage of one of these offers and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Abington Hotel soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stopped off here for a night on our way to Edinburgh. It is about an hour from the Capital, but at 11 pm we really did need a break. Room was a good size and the bed pretty comfy. About all we could need at the time. On closer inspection, the cracks are there (rooms not as clean as they could be, paper thin curtains, breakfast a bit grim, etc) but for an overnight stop for less than £50 I am not really sure that you could do much better. Don't expect luxury, but it worked for us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hello to Rreece and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.

I am happy to read that you considered that we offered good value and that you enjoyed a comfortable night in your room. I am disappointed to read that you felt your breakfast was "a bit grim" as many of our other reviewers often comment on the high standard of the food offered.

I hope you had a safe onward journey and that you had an enjoyable visit to Edinburgh.

Owner, Abington Hotel

Been to Abington Hotel? Share your experiences!