“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Abington
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

30 bridge players descended on Abington for a weekend of fun bridge. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were comfortable but a little tired. There are 5 single rooms which is useful if you like a room on your own without having to pay extortionate rates (some of the group took a double room and the extra charge was very reasonable).The rate for full board was reasonable and everyone had a good time.
Any guests with mobility issues can enter the hotel on the first floor.
For anyone travelling from south of the border to the north of Scotland this would be a perfect place to break the journey.

Room Tip: I believe most rooms were quiet but some are quite far from reception - check when booking if you do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hello to JuneMorrison and thank you for submitting your review headed "Hidden Gem" following your groups fun Bridge weekend at the Abington Hotel.
Your comments regarding the friendliness of our staff and our Hotel policy on a reasonable charge for a supplement are most welcome. I like to keep my staff informed of all reviews, and I shall ensure that my staff receive a copy of your Tripadvisor comments.
I am delighted to read that everyone in your group had a good time during their special interest break and I very much look forward to welcoming you all back to the Abington Hotel.

Regards,
Duncan MacBride,
Owner, Abington Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Jerusalem, Yerushalayim, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

The staff was absolutely amazing! we had a car-breakdown to deal with and they helped us with our phone calls and where really kind to let us use our room later then usual check-out time.
That's really more then we axpected and more then we could have asked for..!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Hello to Sachar S and thank you for taking the time to submit your review to Tripadvisor following your recent stay with your family at the Abington Hotel.
It was a pleasure to offer you our assistance during the time of your unfortunate car breakdown and I hope that once your new car was delivered that you had a safe journey and enjoyable time at your next destination during your visit to the UK.

Kind Regards,
Duncan MacBride,
Ullapool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

A very well run family hotel. Looked after me and my three children well while travelling from the Highlands to the South. Very close to the M74 but far enough away not to be bothered by noisy traffic or streetlights. A bar with good simple food and a spacious family room with a proper wooden cot put out on arrival for the baby.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel and ask! I also liked the fact they had a lovely big garden at the back with lots...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hello to Hiluxgirl and thank you very much for submitting your complimentary review following your recent stay with your family at the Abington Hotel.
I am delighted to read that your young family was well looked after - I know only too well that travelling with young children can sometimes be a little stressful but from reading your review it seems that you were able to enjoy and relax during your stay.
I always like to keep my staff informed of all guests reviews, and I know that they will be thrilled to read that their high level of customer service was recognised.
Hopefully I will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the Abington Hotel.

Kind Regards,
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stopped as a party of ten (parents, 5 children + baby, and grandparents) for a bar lunch. The waitress, Sophie, was excellent and attentive during the two hours we were there. Nothing was too much bother for her, and she willingly fetched straws, jugs of water, teaspoons etc The children's menu was great value at £3.95 for main course, pudding and a drink. The portion sizes were generous; my son ordered a cheeseburger, which arrived as a sesame bap (large) filled with a succulent beef burger and real grated cheese, not 'plastic' cheese. He couldn't finish his chips, which was impressive as he is the proverbial bottomless pit! The adult portions were excellent and the homemade apple pie was a hit with the men! The only fault was that although the WC was spotless, the baby changing was on the floor!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hello to Leslie B - Thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your recent visit with your family to the Abington Hotel for lunch.
I am delighted to read your very positive comments regarding the quality and standard of food and in particular your comments regarding the efficient manner in which you were served by Sophie. I always like to keep my staff informed of all our guest reviews and I will ensure that Sophie is made aware of your kind comments - I know she will be very pleased to read that the standard of her customer service was recognised.
Thank you for your comments regarding the baby changing materials. This situation has now been rectified and they are now in a large plastic box with a lid and clearly marked. Regretably, given the size and layout of the ladies toilet, it has not been possible for us to install a baby changing station on a wall.
I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back soon to the Abington Hotel.
Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently ate at the abington hotel with a group of friends and have never been more disappointed by a meal. As a large group who were cycling the length of the country to raise money for charity, we thought we would treat ourselves to a meal out on one of the evenings. Since we were a large group, we contacted them in advance and agreed with the manager that we would order from a set menu of 3 choices and he offered us a discount since we were participating in a charity event (good start). However when we arrived, the set menu was different from what we had specified. This was no great problem since we were just grateful to be offered a discount on some of the food, however when the food came out it was clear that this discount had been justified by serving us significantly smaller portions of food than the other guests at the restaurant. The portion sizes were absolutely ridiculous and in no way constituted a main meal (especially seen as even at the discounted price we were still paying over £10 a head for one course). When we asked is there were any side dishes coming the manager was incredibly rude to us, even storming out of the room mid conversation on numerous occasions. In no way were we made to feel welcome in that restaurant and the whole evening was an entirely awkward experience. On a more positive note, the burger king at abington services did an excellent job of filling us up (having left the abington hotel still hungry we decided to stick to what we knew and head to the burger king).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David S
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear DavidS - I am naturally concerned to read of your experience following your recent visit to the Abington Hotel.
I intend to investigate this matter but would request your help and clarification on the following:- please provide the time and date of your visit, the name of your party lead booking name/charity name, number of people in your party.
With your help in answering the above, I will be in a position to offer a more detailed response.
Owner, Abington Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Abington hotels

Glenthompson, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at Abington Hotel. The food was excellent and the staff were pleasant , engaging and polite. The room had a very pleasant outlook, but a little bit small, although it had a nice hot shower. We where also situated near a fire exit door and on 2 nights the hotel had a busload of students stay who where in and out all night slamming the fire exit door which was rather annoying and did not make for a restful nights sleep. If I where to stay here again I would ensure that I did not get a room near a fire exit door.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near a fire exit door.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1AbingtonHotel, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Hello to Lea and Anthony P and thank you for taking the time to submit your review following your stay at the Abington Hotel in June.
Your kind comments regarding the excellent quality of food, the standard of customer service offered and the standard of your bedroom are most appreciated. Being an independent hotel operator, I am always delighted to read that my team's efforts are recognised which help to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.
I do apologise that your sleep was disturbed by the other guests - I know from my own travels that sometimes other guests are not always as considerate when a fire exit door or lift is near to another guest bedroom.
On this occasion, the students had in fact been booked into another local Hotel. Only a few days before they were due to arrive, the booking in the original Hotel had been cancelled at very short notice. Within the immediate area, we were the only other Hotel who could accommodate the numbers in the group for the dates of their visit.
Thank you again for your kind review and I very much hope to welcome you back to the Abington Hotel in the future.
Kind Regards.
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We recently had a very nice weekend break at this hotel, which is ideally situated just off the motorway. We found the staff friendly and helpful, from the management down to the bar and restaurant staff. The food was lovely and always freshly cooked.

We were however slightly disturbed by the privacy in our ground floor room (12), which is situated by the fire exit door, (This door is also used for disability access). Surprisingly, our window in the bedroom had no blinds etc on them! Also, the decoration in certain areas of the hotel, especially the corridors leading to the bedrooms needed a bit of TLC. Other than that we had a lovely stay and would certainly recommend this hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: Room 12 is large family ground floor room which is situated by the fire exit door that also used for...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cheshiretraveller062
, Owner at Abington Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Hello to Cheshiretraveller062,
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review following your recent stay at the Abington Hotel.
I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable weekend break with us and I am particularly pleased to read your favourable comments regarding the care and service offered by my staff and the quality of our food.
Thank you for raising the point of privacy in your room - your comment is valid and accepted and I intend to arrange for extra screening in the form of additional curtains.
I hope to welcome you back to the Abington Hotel.
Owner, Abington Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abington
Days Inn Abington M74
Robertson Arms Hotel
Robertson Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carnwath
BEST WESTERN Moffat House Hotel

Been to Abington Hotel? Share your experiences!