“What a disappointment”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited this place last week thursday, my partner, his parents and I. We had a voucher for a starter and a main each and reading the menu on their website left us with high expectations but oh what a disappointment. As starters we had the chicken liver pate, which was ok, the prawn cocktail, which was with shrimps and 1 prawn, the breaded camenbert, which was good and their special the venison carpacchio: 3 small thin pieces of venison and a wee handfull of dry salad leaves, which had past their best and that for 6.50 £, are you kidding me??? As mains we had a steak pie and three of us chose the pheasant rapped in bacon. I felt so sorry for the birds, not only got they killed first by the hunter, but then again by the cook. Pheasant as well as all game should be served best very pink to keep it moist, juicy and soft and to keep it's unique wonderful game flavour, but these poor birds were so overcooked, that they had been hardly recognisable as game birds. They were so dry that we were about to ask for steak knives. To be honest when we hadn't been on a voucher and the waitress would have cared a bit more, I would have sent it straight back to the kitchen, but I was starving after my wee venison starter, or better call it an amuse bouche.
The service was disappointing as well, in every restaurant the service staff asks you if everything is ok, if your food is to your liking etc., not here, not after serving the starters, cleaning the table, serving the mains, cleaning up again and even not when my partner paid for the drinks. And when he told her that the food was at least 10 minutes overcooked, he only got an "oh" as an answer. We will definetely not be back, I wouldn't even offer the food to my dogs.

There are newer reviews for The Mill Inn

Reviewed October 2, 2013

stopped here for lunch as we have been here before with our dog everything seemed fine the young girl brought our dog a bowl of water then I was told that our dog couldn't eat out of his bowl but was allowed to drink by this crabby looking woman I had to put him in the car to eat we didn't order a sweet and wont be back as we didn't feel welcome yet she seemed quite chatty with the locals I had just returned from a hotel in yorkshire where my dog ate with us and was even brought his dinner to bim in a dog bowl

1  Thank djdown
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had a lovely lunch here last week, must commend the manager on lovely staff special thanks to Audrey who served us. She was very polite and attentive and made us feel very welcome. Would certainly recommend!

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for a bite to eat on a meandering trip from Stranraer to Five.

The menu had a reasonable selection of grills and "pub favourites" though prices were certainly higher than normal pub fare.
My companion's macaroni and cheese was good and was nicely presented with salad, coleslaw and "triple fried" chips.
My gripe was the fact that my own choice of a "large" (their word not mine) portion of Cullen Skink seemed to have only a passing acquaintance with its principal ingredient.

For those who haven't tried this traditional chowder style fish soup which originates in north east Scotland it's usually a delicious combination of potato, onion,cream, fish stock and smoked haddock. In my case the onion had been replaced with leek - not a problem - but there was very little actual fish either in terms of the amount or flavour.

I drew this to the attention of our waitress but other than a quick comment that she would "pass it on" nothing else was done or said.

I must say the place was pretty busy so maybe I was just unlucky and whoever ladled the soup out forgot to give out a stir or something.

But the bottom line is that I was not it served the dish I expected - and paid £5.50 for!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We took my dad for his birthday to The Mill. No need for a starter in this place as the portions are huge.

The only disappointing thing was that a number of the choices off the menu after them having such a busy day - however is that not a good thing?!