“Poor meal in the "Lounge Bar"”
Review of The Royal Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Comrie
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stopped off for a light lunch and was disappointed by the quality of the food. We both had sandwiches, me a hot steak and onion sandwich and my husband a club sandwich. The sandwich arrived in dry toasted cheap bread, we had to ask for butter. The fillings were well cooked but in small quantities. We were told as we had eaten them they must have been OK!! Expensive poor café style food with staff that clearly need to go on customer care courses...they were politely rude. Lovely setting.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have stayed many times at the Royal in Comrie and have enjoyed all my visits, both for accommodation and food. On New Years Eve, Hogmanay, we were given a generous Scottish experience. We enjoyed afternoon tea, canapes and champagne, viewing the Comrie fireworks on the bridge, a gala dinner and the Comrie traditional Flambeaux parade, starting at the Melville Square, outside the hotel. The staff were very busy all day and evening, (and the following day) but were friendly and welcoming, at all times.

Room Tip: All rooms comfortable but some with views over the square
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I spent last night at the bar for Hogmaney and thought I'd have a 'Scottish' experience. Instead the juke box was blaring out very loud music making it impossible to have a conversation. The young staff were asked to turn it down and they turned the volume down 2 notches making to difference at all. The foreign visitors must have been utterly disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Geraldine2903
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My daughter and I stopped here for lunch, the food was excellent and the staff polite, friendly but not obtrusive. Toilets clean, molton brown toiletries were a nice touch. Would recommend and definitely return

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently stayed here with a shooting party , the hotel is very cosy , rooms first class and dinner was excellent , great value for money and very homely , would stay again without doubt or even call in for a meal

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2013

we stayed in room 1, suite like in size with a sitting area, daybed and comfy armchair, The biggest surprise was having a log fire in the working fireplace. Comfortable superking ironwork four poster with blankets rather than a duvet. White tiled bathroom with molton brown toiletries and numerous towels of various shapes and sizes. Some wear and tear to the rugs and old fashioned furniture but this added to the charm. Only real criticism of the room was that the tv was miniscule
Pleasant bar and adjacent sitting area with another log fire
We were there on a sunday with few guests so that is probably why there was no fire on in the attractive library which had couches and armchairs. It was accordingly somewhat cold.
Dinner was,bar one course, of a good standard
the thai crab cakes were stuffed with crab and not overspiced and the dipping sauce had a chili bite to it. main dishes had fresh vegetables rather than frozen. The sticky toffee pudding and chocolate pudding were excellent. The only but was my steak and ale pie. Clearly made in house the pastry was not fully cooked and the chips overcooked. The meat itself was tender.
Breakfast on the other hand could not be faulted. The toast was hot which is not always the case in hotels. Excellent sausages, bacon and black pudding. Both my wife's fried egg and my scrambled were freshly made for us.
helpful staff and the barman wine waiter having actually drunk the wines we were interested in was able to recommend the one we chose which was spot on.House wines were just over £16 and our decent marlborough sauvignon blanc just over £22.
we will certainly be returning and cannot recommend room 1 too highly. Bed and breakfast for the two of us in that room was £180

Room Tip: it has to be room 1
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The ambience is good, the Staff are welcoming and friendly, definitely the best Breakfasts' I have encountered in UK - the Kitchen is to be complimented.

I enjoyed staying at this hotel, the Lounge and Bar areas have a Country House feel - warm, welcoming and intentionally old fashioned. One feels - just comfortable. What more can one say.
The open fire in the Lounge Bar was marvellous after the chill of the outside.

Comrie is well positioned for exploring Central Scotland and the Autumn colours at this time of the year are staggeringly beautiful. I travelled up Loch Earn past St Fillans and over to
Killin and there cannot be many places in the World that can be scenically more beautiful.

I would have rated this Excellent but for the Attic Room, no fault of the present owner, just the construction limitations of an old building. However I felt this should have been taken into account in the Tariff.

Room Tip: I was, unfortunately, on the top floor, Room 8. I gather the lower floor rooms are better, so req...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comrie
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 18 in Perth
Murraypark Hotel
Murraypark Hotel
#1 of 3 in Crieff

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!