“Excellent hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Comrie
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We had fabulous time here. The hotel is relaxed with really tasteful rooms, bar etc dinner was very good. Molten brown toiletries , bathrobes, excellent friendly service. Our room had four poster, dressing room area, sofa, bookcases with choice of novels and huge bathroom. It was quiet and really comfy bed. Breakfast was amazing and their old resident dog lovely.Two lovely beer gardens/ garden to enjoy sun, Def returning to this wee gem.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had noticed this hotel whilst passing through Comrie and it looked lovely. I mentioned it to a friend who said he had been told it was very good so decided to look on the website and book for last Saturday night for D,B&B. The pictures of the bedrooms looked really lovely, spacious and beautifully decorated and comfortable. They had a few rooms with four posters and also standard doubles and twins. The four poster rooms were £180.00 per room per night for B&B and the standard £140.00. I think this is quite pricey so my expectations of the rooms were high. I checked Trip Advisor and mostly all reviews were good but not all. A few reviewers said the rooms on the top floor were very compact.So when I rang the Hotel to book I asked for a room on the first floor explaining I wanted a spacious room and asking if any of the ones on the website were free. They said room 11 was the most spacious and booked us in. I would say the girl I spoke to was neither unfriendly or particularly friendly but she seemed helpful and said we could bring 'well behaved' dogs. I booked the room and was asked for a £50.00 deposit which I paid with a credit card. This was at the end of the Comrie Week so the town was busy but the Hotel would have been well aware that it would be. We arrived at about 5.30pm and found it difficult to park in the spaces outside the Hotel and there didn't appear to be an overspill park. We waited and did eventually get a space. I wasn't impressed by the receptionist who booked us in. She gave us the key waved in the direction of the stairs and said go up to the very top floor. I immediately said that I had requested a room on the first floor. However we went up lots of stairs and eventually found the room. It was 'compact' and by that I do mean small!! and very dark and felt grubby. The fawnish carpet had stains and needed to be replaced or have a good clean. The bed looked like a double, not king size, as I had been told. The bedspread also had old washed in stains and inspite of the window being wedged open in was stiflingly hot. The bathroom was small with shower over bath with very little water force. We were so dissappointed and the final straw was a very uncomfortable matress and motel like bed linen. We tried to ring reception three times but it rang out and then went on to answerphone. Downstairs at reception a different person was booking in another couple and our receptionist was waiting on tables. Both saw us, neither acknowledged us and I stood for about 15 minutes trying to be patient. When the receptionist returned, from showing the couple booking in, their room (a service not afforded to us) he asked if he could help. I explained we were unhappy with our room and why and also now with the service. He was extremely polite and very apologetic. He said if he could have upgraded us to one of their three bigger rooms he would have ( I had asked if they had a larger room free) but would show me a double on the first floor. It was very very tiny! We said we would leave as we weren't happy and he offered to refund our deposit, so full marks to him.

The Hotel downstairs looked lovely and the menu sounded delicious so we were very disappointed but to pay £140.00 for a room that I think I would have expected to pay about £80.00 for would have been silly as we only live 45 mins away. I will return to try the food but until they price the rooms more sensibly I woudn't recommend staying there. If the owner or manager reads this please look up Kinnaird Guest House near Dunkeld. Have a look at the rooms they offer for £130.00 per night B&B and you will understand where i am coming from. I have no problem with somewhere charging upwards of £120.00 per room for B&B but I think it really should meet a much better standard than The Royal Hotel in Comrie is offering.

My deposit hasn't arrived back in my account yet but I rang them today and was told they had definitely given me a refund. That went a long way in redeeming the service.

Room Tip: I think you need to try the four poster rooms but I never actually saw one. The standard rooms are r...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dalguise
Reviewed August 2, 2012

What a lovely hotel, small, quaint and in a great location.
Situated in the village centre, room spotless, dinner menu
varied and bar meals just as good. Breakfast is large,the
" full Scottish" is a meal and I mean a large meal. Staff very
friendly and helpful, the atmosphere in the whole hotel is
one of the best I have ever came across. Enjoy if you try

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just back from here, what a great place to eat in as well as stay. The Roast on Sunday is a must and if you live within a reasonable travel distace a great day out can be had by stoping by here for a meal.

1  Thank Gavin001
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We booked a 2 night stay here on a B&B basis. The room was comfortable, spotlessly clean and well furnished. The staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast was tremendous. We also ended up eating here both evenings and the food again was tremendous. Can't praise highly enough.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay - we loved it! Clean comfortable room on top floor, good food and very friendly staff despite there being a Comrie power cut at the time. Library, Bar and Dining rooms were just right. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Sleep is fine if you are used to peace and quiet. Service a little slow when they are busy (but who...
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I can only say that this was a good hotel , gone bad. The staff seem to be from the Basil Faulty era and the food was expensive and tasteless.

4  Thank iskander29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comrie
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 18 in Perth
Murraypark Hotel
Murraypark Hotel
#1 of 3 in Crieff

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!