“average pub food at best”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Coatbridge B&B and Inns
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
“average pub food at best”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

never stayed in the hotel but decided to take the family for lunch.The first thing that struck me was the weird smell when you walk into the hotel. but maybe this isnt a daily occurance But going into the restuarant it looked nice. Food was decent and as in the title pub food at best. Everybody remarked that the food was ok But they must have ran out of onion for my curry and put in big lumps of uncooked red onion which made it taste awful. Prices of food was decent and by all accounts the rest of the meals were ok. Nothing fancy. I thought id try the Grange as somewhere new to go in Coatbridge for lunch but wouldnt rush back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
lancaster
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

we usually stop in travel lodge, premier inn etc but everywhere was fully booked the night we wanted so thought we would give these a try.
My usual theory is "its a bed" but i was very disapponted.
The staff, bar area and evening meal were brilliant we couldnt fault them at all however the room and breakfast were very disappointing.
The room was very small - for 1 night it was just ok - any longer and i would have asked to be moved!!
Our room was right next to the ventilation fan for the kitchen and this was running all night, this wouldnt usually have bothered me but we had to have the window open all night on account of the overwhelming smell of stale tobacco in our room!!
The bed was incredibly uncomfortable VERY hard n lumpy - im pretty sure if we dropped a coin on it then it would rebound straight back!! The duvet only just covered us both - at one point i gave up the fight with hubby and wrapped myself in the curtain!!
Thr breakfast again was very disappointing! There was a selection of cereal on the bar along with tea, coffee and orange juice. We opted for a full breakfast as we had a long day ahead - with it being scotland a full breakfast we were expecting the works!! However when the plates arrived we had 1 cold slice of toast, 2 dry pieces of bacon, 2 small dry sausages (no idea what they were made of but after 1 taste i opted to leave them) and an overcooked fried egg. Needless to say we left quite hadstily to try and locate a mcdonalds as we had an increcibly long day ahead.
I would highly recommend the evening meals and the bar and like i say 1 night stay max but apart from that we were cery disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these Coatbridge hotels

Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Staff helpful. Rooms very tired and badly in need of a coat of paint. Newish toilet / wash basin etc, flat screen tv. Tea coffee etc available. Food from restaurant excellent quality and good value. Rooms were clean. Good rate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank daren777
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed 2 nights recently even after reading some of the reviews. Yes the rooms need updating but bedding was clean and fresh towels both nights. Bar area and restaurant good and no complaints with the evening meal or breakfast. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel is on a busy road and there is some road noise not helpedby the single glazing but not bad enough to ruin my sleep. Would stay again and on the whole for the money well worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin A
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

room(we had no.2) was clean and tidy, good usual necessaties, tv, tea & coffee in room, shower works plenty of hot water, clean sheets and fresh towels, if your being picky rooms and beds could do with update but according to the great friendly staff thats on its way. the cooked breakfast was absolutly first class, cereal was also available, the dining area and bar were well presented. As my title suggests the hotel is easy to find and excellently located off coatbridge junction of A8(m)its lit blue at night helped me find it anyway. overall all great value for money would heartly recommend. will use again.

Room Tip: rooms at back are quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alexandra A
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Decided to stay here rather than the faceless Premier Inn up the A8, what a mistake! The downstairs is ok, nicely presented, pleasant staff and it felt like I was in for a good stay. Then I got my room! Room 10! AVOID! Firstly it is away from the other rooms and at the top of a set of stairs leading to the outdoor smoking area, so smelt of cigarettes. Then a cold wind was blowing up the stairs so again not a good start. On entereing the room it was freezing! There was a small oil radiator and a wall mounted one, so obviuosly the owners know this room is cold! Why not pre warm the room for your guests? Anyway it looked ok so in I went. Looking to charge my phone I realised it only had 1 plug in the room! Then I felt a draught, which was coming through the single glazed window! I thought there is no way I can stop here, so went the bar and complained. To be honest the customer service was great and I was given a different room straight away. A bit dated, but warm! It felt like a different hotel! Other reviews on here describe a double room pushed up against a wall, must be this room. It was ok for 3 nights (just) but I wouldn't want a longer stay! That said the food and service were great, even though they need to get new windows installed downstairs as the windows were drafty!

Overall, staff and service great, food was good and at a very good price, but the rooms are awful, they need painting (several marks on walls) and a bit of TLC. Clean yes, and new fresh towels everyday, but I didn't return, I went to the centre lodge up the road instead.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here avoid room 10
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rocksandstuff
Dover, Kent
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed at The Grange on countless occasions during 2012 on business, and also for a pre-Christmas break with my partner. I have always felt very much at home, and have been very well looked after by Euan, Zoe and the whole team. It's a lovely, friendly, comfortable hotel, bar and restaurant, and I would choose the Grange anytime rather than these lifeless hotel chains. The rooms, a number if which have been recently refurbished are very comfortable, and the bar and restaurant is very welcoming, and the food is absolutely fantastic. During 2012 I stayed for many, many weeks at the Grange, and I didn't eat anywhere else - I didn't need to - the food has always been beautiful, there is a lovely menu, with a fantastic selection of beautiful dishes, and on top of that the talented chefs are always happy to prepare something different for me - I have never been disappointed. If you are in that part of Scotland and you want a homely, comfortable, welcoming place to stay with fantastic food and a lovely atmosphere, The Grange is the place to stay. Looking forward to my forthcoming stays there in 2013!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jumpingjackbunz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatbridge
Mondo Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell
Halo Crowwood House Hotel
Halo Crowwood House Hotel
#89 of 95 in Glasgow

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!