“A quick dinner!”

Ranked #5 of 63 Restaurants in Coatbridge
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Shimla Cottage is a family run ‘100% Real Indian’ Restaurant. We pride ourselves to offer great value for money by providing top quality food, efficient service, friendship and a warm welcome to our customers. We promise to serve exactly same food as you would find in The sub Continent Our unique menu is different than 99% of high street curry houses. We offer selection of dishes from all parts of India, each with a distinct taste and preparation. We specialise in North Indian as well as South Indian food. We concentrate on giving our customers that boom and satisfaction with every bite of their meal.Our speciality is an authentic cuisine, served in beautiful, relaxed setting. Our restaurant atmosphere is inviting and cozy. Our goal is to serve upscale food in a setting that will make you want to come back again and again.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I went with a couple of friends that have been here before. I was not very sure as I don't particularly trust cheap food! I have read mixed reviews but did not want to say no to my friends and be to fussy. Food was not bad as I expected, portion were abundant. The staff was too keen in taking the order and not leaving us enough time to choose. very fast also to remove the plates from the table, we had to take some bites from the plates already in the waiter hands keen to take theme away. at the end we were the last people to leave the restaurant, it wasn't not even 10 pm...but I guess the staff wanted to go home...not sure if I would go back...

3  Thank ariete1999
Shimlacottage, Owner at Shimla Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

You don't normally trust cheap food !!!
what i and other potential customers want to know is what asspect of my establishment did you find cheap was it the surroundings as well as the food?
food was not bad as you expected so you obviously came in with a certain amount of prejudice before we even welcomed you.waiter was rushing you for your order why didn't you point out you will inform him once your ready rather than him pushing for your order.We never clear or lift plates from customers if there eating I've been working in restaurants long enough to know this simple rule.My restaurant is open till 12am every night regardless if there is customers there or not .

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I took my daughter and my mum here for lunch earlier this month, mixed views on staff as some were friendly and helpful and others just seemed to want to rush you out the door. The food was great, the price for the 3 course lunch is good and portions were ok although we had to laugh when the chocolate fudge cake my mum ordered was sat on the table, it was nearly as thin as an after eight mint and that is no joke. I was extremely surprised when my bill came and I saw what they were charging for a glass of lemonade or diet coke! Definitely how they make the money back however I would still go back as the food is worth going back for. If you are going for lunch I would recommend getting there early as there were at least 25 people waiting to be seated when we were leaving. Not sure if you can actually book a table but worth phoning in advance especially if a group of you are going.

hi Mordoc89
thanks for visiting and taking time out to share your feedback as this allows to learn from the people that matter the most
our chocolate cake comes per cut we only heated and serve it with ice cream i think you comparing its thickness to an after eight is a slight exaggerate
Our draught soft drinks are probably better value than our £3.50 3 course lunch as we serve proper coca-cola & schweppes lemonade we sell a 16oz glass for £1.50 & 20oz glass for £1.95 so in theory thats not how we make our money But am glad you will visit as again for our delicious food
PS
we don't take lunch bookings so its advisable to come early to avoiding waiting especially if your a large group

Reviewed March 9, 2014

this is the cheapest indian lunch we have ever had in the uk. total cost for 3 courses was 15 quid and we had 2 drinks, they don,t hang around here but that suited me as we were in a hurry. thought it was good so will give it a whirl for dinner next time.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I'll start on the positives good food at a low price, unfortunately the shocking customer service skills completely over shadow this. Myself, partner and children went for our lunch. Stopping short at catapulting the food at u as u come through the door, I don't think they could reduce their turn around time. I hadn't even sat down when I was asked what I wanted to order. When the food arrived it soon became a game of cat and mouse every time I paused or stopped for a drink they made a bee line for my plate, at one point I nearly stabbed his hand with my fork trying to get a bit of chicken from my plate! The staff that I dealt with were rude at best, could not get u out the door quick enough. Everyone has bad days, I think they must have had a run of them, they most definitely need some tissues for their issues! Food this fast should really only be served through a drive through.

6  Thank MandyW1983
Shimlacottage, Owner at Shimla Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

You should have been given a tablet to tell the truth.
I'll start with the positives we serve a 3 course lunch for £3.50 within that price we serve good quality food friendly service from well mannered staff in luxurious surroundings. We have a very quick turnaround of tables due to the fact that at this price we require high volume of customers to maintain this price.Now for the truth at No point would your server through your food at you nor will a member of staff pick up your plates unless your finished. At the Shimla rudeness isn't tolerated from staff or customers Every one makes mistakes if for some season you weren't satisfied rather than writing a review here you should have made your grievance at the time where any issues would have been dealt with and resolved

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have ordered takeaway from Shimla and I have eaten in the restaurant many times since I moved to Coatbridge however I will never be back and I will never order from here again. I pre-ordered a takeaway on the 1st March 2014 at 19.00 and was given an ETA of 20.35, only to have to ring the restaurant at 21.00 in order to politely enquire as to where my order was. The member of staff who answered the call was incredibly rude and quite clearly did not give one hoot about the fact that I had been waiting two hours by this point. He asked me what I expected on a Saturday night and when I asked if my food would be hot on arrival he said "well obviously not as hot as it would be if you were sitting down in the restaurant". At this point it is 21.10 and my food has still not arrived even though I had been told on my 21.00 phone call that it had left the restaurant 15 minutes beforehand. Luckily there are many, many fantastic Indian restaurants in my locality and I will be moving my custom elsewhere. I'll also be telling everyone I know about this horrific experience and urging them to give this place as wide a swerve as possible - they simply could not care less about their customers, and there are loads of restaurants who do.

5  Thank markcowan

After using our restaurant on a number of occasions for both take away & dinning in how can you title your review Horrendous service after receiving a delivery 10 mins late .According to our Home delivery system you called @7 pm to place a carry out order upon taking your order you were informed a collection would take 45 min & a delivery 1 1/2 hours you quite happily agreed to wait for the delivery.@8.45 pm a female called inquiring where her delivery was that she had been waiting for 2 hours upon checking I informed her that the order was taken at 7 pm and that we were extremely busy and the driver had left and was on route to your house the order should be with you shortly again apologising for the delay at which point the lady said so my curry won't be pipping hot now am not going to lie there is no take out place who can delivery a meal piping hot as you would get if you were sitting in i did explain your order was cooked @ 815 pm put into a hot box which keeps the food warm for 45 min which I explained . At No point was I not helpful or courteous or ignorant to your phone call I explained the situation as it was . After receiving good food and service from us you never thought once of writing us a good review praising us but went straight on here after receiving a home delivery 15 min late that itself should show potential customers the truth in your review as for me not caring about my customers well that statement Carries as much truth as your review.
Good Day