The Spinnaker Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Argyll Hotel(Dunoon)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewssteak piethe pubhaggis pakorafirth of clydesticky toffee puddingcan't faultscottish breakfastmashbeautiful views over the rivera sea view roomexcellent foodsingle roomlate checkfriendly staycouple of yearsstaff were lovelymy mum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I can remember many good times in this venue, as a child my parents were friends with the owners and we spent many an evening here. Was so looking forward to taking my partner to it today, and was really disappointed. Prices are ridiculous for the Inverclyde area - twice the going price for a pint of lager. Vodka was watered down, and again well over the local price point. Starter combo on the menu was delicious, however was priced 'per person' which was not described at all on the menu, so when the bill came it was an unpleasant surprise. When questioned about it the girl serving the table was dismissive and unhelpful. Throughout the 90 minutes the 2 members of staff were generally inattentive and not friendly or welcoming at all - no smiles, no eye contact. No 'thank you' - bill was dropped on to the table with a 'sorry we don't have any mints' - not sure if this was intended to be sarcasm. Amazing childhood memories of happy times in The Spinny obliterated in one and a half hours - real shame. Hopefully I was just unlucky and they were having an off day, but I will never spend another penny in this establishment. I would recommend the local Premier Inn before this place, they at least spend a bit of time and money on staff training, prioritise customer service, and can identify when they've got it wrong with a customer and take action to correct it, which would have been so easily done and eliminated the need for this review.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joe M
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Sorry I didn't fully finish my reply.
Not too sure what I / my staff where actually meant to fix before you felt it necessary to put a negative review on about the Spinnaker.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My partner and I decided to eat here on Saturday afternoon (13.04.13) and we were lucky enough to get a table at the window so we could appreciate the view which is lovely. We chose fish and chips and chicken and leek pie for our mains and chocolate fudge cake with custard and toffee cheescake with cream. The price was £9.95 for two courses this is par for the course nowadays so more than happy to pay this. The staff, a young man and a very young looking girl were absolutely lovely however I think a wee bit of staff training could be in order here and that is not a criticism at all just good advice I think, as our desserts were forgotten about for 40 minutes and although this let our main course settle if we hadn't reminded them then we might have still been sitting at closing time! Also we had to catch their attention to order more drinks and to be really honest we only had two drinks each however we would have increased this quite happily to four if the waiter/waitress had came over to ask if we wanted something else to drink. The meals were lovely and the toffee cheescake was absolutely fabulous (worth the wait!) We would recommend this hotel to others and we will be back ourselves.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Being part of a football supporters group, we always book this hotel for a lunch before the match when playing at nearby Greenock. We are provided with the menu before leaving and phone our order (for approx. 30 meals) en route to the hotel. We are always made welcome by the friendly efficient staff. The excellent choice of food on offer, well cooked ,was served within 15 mins. of our arrival by the hard working staff. It is a visit that our group always look forward to and we will certainly be back again next season.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've stayed twice at this lovely wee hotel now and are booked in for Saturday 4th of May.
The hotel has a real homely feel, really nice bar, good selection of beers and a fine menu of bar food. We enjoy really good fish and chips and the Spinnaker does a great job.
The staff are hard working and try to accommodate all needs, sure the place gets a wee bit hectic at times, that in my view is the sign of a popular bar.
The room was fine with an amazing sea view, really good Scottish breakfast to set up your day.
Looking forwards to my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike K
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We ate here as a family of 4 about 1 month ago (2 teenage daughters 18 and 16 yrs old), had excellent food, with excellent service in a lovely setting, so much so, when deciding yesterday where to eat out, we all opted for The Spinnaker again.

Same great service, same great food, was a busy Sunday evening and we didn't wait too long to be served or for our food, which was served politely, friendly and with a smile.

Good pub grub, with all the things you expect to see and want to see on a menu.

Staff are a credit to the owners.

Have recommended to friends and family and they all say ' oh i haven't been there for years' and ' I forgot that was there',

Looking forward to many more meals at The Spinnaker.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker. I really appreciate the postive and 'nice to read' comments you have made. I hope you'll visit again and have as equally a good experience. If there's anything you thing would / could improve the Spinnaker please let me know.
Again thank you.