“lovely food and atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
The Spinnaker Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gourock
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I didn't use the hotel but went in for dinner. The choice of food was brilliant. I had the breaded mushrooms and mac n cheese and they were both excellent. Great sized portions. staff were also excellent, very friendly and helpful. I live locally and had not been for food in here in ages - will defo not leave it as long next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynneM21
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker. Appreciate your complimentary review. If there's anything you'd like to see on the Spinnaker menu that we don't already do I'd be happy to hear. Thank you again for reviewing the hotel.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a small privately run hotel with a very friendly staff and some of the best views in Scotland.I don't live too far from the Spinnaker so I have only used the rooms on the odd occasion but have not hesitated in recommending it to visiting family and friends over the years when I haven't had had enough room to put them up myself and without exception have all spoken very highly of it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the river with the mountains in the background.can't be beaten!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ando72
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Four of us went for a meal and drinks, I was the only newcomer. A friendly welcome from the staff and 4 cracking meals. Prompt and efficient service, great views across the water. Look forward to the next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Really appreciate the positive feedback particularly after a recent review that was less than complimentary. I have already responded to it.
I'm really keen to develop and improve the food side of the Spinnaker. If you have any suggestions or ideas that you think would help do this I'd be delighted to hear them. It might be on service, price, choice or presentation to mention a few things. I understand everybody has different tastes and expectations. I can't necessarily please everyone but there's no harm in trying.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My brothers and I stayed for two nights in three rooms in this small but friendly establishment. We were in the area to see the places our father had grown up and the house to which our parents retired. The little hotel was very busy. It seems to be a favourite eating and drinking spot for the locals so booking a table is advisable (the ones in the bay windows have nice views of the firth of Clyde). The full English breakfast was hearty and both the homemade soup we had for lunch and the dinner offerings, while not up to 'fine dining standards', were enjoyable.
I had a lovely room at the front of the hotel with a beautiful view. On Saturday night it was noisy as patrons said their farewells as they left the pub but I did not hear any noise from the pub itself. My brothers had smaller rooms at the back which were quiet except for the times when the bottles were dumped into the rubbish bin.
All in all, I can easily recommend this hotel although perhaps the owner might invest in some better quality towels in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CatherineofDurham
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker.
I've asked the head of housekeeping to look at the laundry that we're receiving and to have a polite word with the company regarding the quality of the towels and any other items that may not be up to scratch. I have to use a laundry company as I don't have the space/facility to do it in house.
I have reminded all staff not to recycle the glass bottles before 10am in the morning and after 9 pm at night.
Thank you again for the feedback. If there is anything you think I could do to further improve the comfort of staying at the Spinnaker please let me know.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed here with my wife over the weekend 28/29th Sept. Staff are excellent, very friendly. Food was very good. Room was clean and tidy with a fantastic view. Live music on Friday night which we and friends really enjoyed but don't expect an early night. It gives you time to sample the local beers and talk to local people who made us feel very welcome. Our friend lives in Gourock and we will be visiting them again. We will not hesitate to stay here again. Have a room overlooking the Clyde. Thanks for helping make our first visit to Scotland such a pleasant one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Malc22_11
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for your review and taking the time to put it on TripAdvisor. It's comforting to read your comments as they are complimentary and you seemed to have enjoyed your stay. If you can think of anything that would have made your stay even better please let me know. My email address is enquiries@spinnakerhotel.co.uk. Thank you again for staying at the Spinnaker.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We ate here last Saturday evening as a group of 5 who had pre-booked a table in the restaurant. We have been here a number of times before (the place is a favourite of my 92 year old grandfather) but this time was worse than all the others. Our table was reserved for 6.30pm and we arrived at 6.15 and were seated straight away. Menus and drinks were slow to arrive. We ordered and waited for our starters and they came along no too long later. I had the baked brie starter and got 3 small pieces which were tasty but I felt there could have been more. The mains took forever to arrive - 7.45 before the first ones came out. We were told that the kitchen had "run out of pasta" so my vegetarian grandfather then had to make another choice of what to have (very limited options). Communication between the kitchen and serving staff was obviously missing something there as we heard a couple on the next table being told the same thing 40 minutes later (why not tell people when you give them a menu that certain dishes are off?).
My husband had the Spinny Burger which was the sorriest interpretation of a burger we have seen in a very long time. It was literally a small burger with a single (small) mushroom on top of it! No lettuce / tomato / dressing / mayo - it was awful. The gammon steak I had was very, very fatty and not at all as it has been in the past. You used to get one nice, fat, tasty gammon steak and what I got was 2 thin, fatty, salty gammon steaks. The rest of our party were as underwhelmed with their dishes. The chips arrive out with pepper all over them which was no good for some of our party who don`t like pepper and would have preferred to have added this if they wanted it rather than have it put on already. We didn`t order a sweet as it had taken an hour`s wait to get the main, we ddidn`t want to stay there all night waiting for pudding (assuming it hadn`t "run out" as many other things had!). Trying to get another round of drinks was impossible - eventually managed to get one person another lager but that was it.
This was a mini get together as some of us had come up from Birmingham and my poor grandfather kept apologising for how bad the place was and it wasn`t his fault. He takes all his various family and friends to The Spinnaker and we have had decent meals here in the past - although the service has always been an issue. Definitely avoid a Friday / Saturday night unless you don`t mind a long wait for - and between - courses and don`t mind making do with one drink all evening.
There were a number of items "unavailable" from the menu, service was exceptionally slow and overall it was a poor experience. We won`t be returning or recommending this place to anyone. PS - the website makes the place look fantastic - much better than it actually is, but as my husband quoted "the food pictured on the website is nothing like the food that is served" Very much a case of "over promise, under deliver" unfortunately.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank PDhappytravellers
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I'm sorry to read you did not enjoy your evening in the Spinnaker.
Ultimately I take responsibility as the owner of the business to ensure everyone has a pleasant and enjoyable time and do not like to hear anything different.
The evening you were in was extremely busy and admittedly we (myself, bar staff and kitchen staff) struggled to cope. For that I apologise.
You're critical of the food and that's the beauty of TripAdvisor. It allows you to say it as you see it. I respect constructive criticism and believe it can be beneficial. I will take on board what I can from your review. I feel I must also say that while the service on the particular night in questions was not anywhere near good enough I feel that the comments you make about the food paint a very black picture of my establishment and I have to respectfully say I don't agree with them. The Spinnaker Hotel has a good name for food, we use reputable suppliers who supply quality products. We don't use cheap burgers or any other product come to mention it.
You had a bad experience. Trying to get another round of drinks was not impossible. Table service was poor that evening but we also operate a bar were customers can order drinks from at anytime. You say you've been here before and your grandparents certainly have many times. In general they seem to enjoy it which I hope is this case and why they come back. I hope they will continue to do so even though you have chosen not to.
My website is quite new and overall I'm very pleased with it. Some pictures have still to be added, some changed and some removed. This is no intention to mislead.
Again thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker Hotel.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed here one night in late May 2012, while Scotland was getting its summer.

The staff was very helpful in the evening and again in the morning at breakfast.

The bar was great, but even better thankfully were the tables outside to enjoy the amazing view.

The room was fine, not luxury, but not in disrepair, unclean, or unfunctional in any way. A satisfactory restful evening was had. By far the outstanding feature is the million pound view on a beautiful evening nd morning. Jaw dropping!

The only negatives might be parking and highway noise, but I cannot entirely fault the hotel for these.

I would definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Joseph H
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker and be so complimentary. If there's anything at all you would like to see change or improve please feel free to let me know.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gourock
Tontine Hotel
Hunters Quay Hotel
Hunters Quay Hotel
#1 of 11 in Dunoon
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to The Spinnaker Hotel? Share your experiences!