“Fabulous coffee” 5 of 5 bubbles

Flava Coffee Co
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Gourock
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Elderslie, Scotland
“Fabulous coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Hadn't been in here fro a few years and revisited on Friday morning. Great coffee, one of the best I have had in a long time. Had it with great breakfast rolls.My coffee was made by Jean. Jean you are a star!

2 Thank Buddie125
Flava_74, Owner at Flava Coffee Co, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for the comment, Jean really is a star!

Kincardine, United Kingdom
“Afternoon lite bite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Waterside cafe overlooking the Clyde ,very friendly attentive staff,ordered 2 lattes 2 cup cakes,coffees excellent,nice fresh tasting cup cakes considering 3.00pm ,will be back,approx £7 for the bill,pity about road works on Main Street must affect business,certainly worth a visit

joe-flava, Owner at Flava Coffee Co, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thanks for the comment, the roadworks certainly didn't help, thankfully they are finished now and business as usual. Hopefully we'll see you again :)
Gourock
“Best Coffee Shop in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Could there be anything nicer than being greated with your favourite coffee and paper in the morning? The staff here are fantastic. You only have to walk in and they're over with your order. Congratulations to Joseph and the team.....they've certainly got it right. Great ambience, beautiful panoramic views, good coffee and great new background music. This shop is a winner. Well worth a visit.

joe-flava, Owner at Flava Coffee Co, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thanks for the compliment, its nice to be appreciated :)
Langbank
“Service slow and food has gone downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I frequent Flava occasionally, and I have been disappointed on the last few times I have had lunch. Each time I have been in recently, the service has been very slow and I feel that I am being ignored. Sometimes I have to ask someone to take my order - I think when you come in on your own, the service is not so good as when you are in group. To be fair to the staff, they have apologised, but it is annoying that it seems to happen most times. Also, I have had to ask the staff where my drink is, having waited over 15 minutes from ordering it, and noting that people who arrived after me, had their drinks before I do.

The other complaint I have is the standard of the food. I usually have a panini, and on each occasion of late, they have tasted stale, and I get the impression that they have been either bought in, or pre-made and cooked from frozen, as they don't taste freshly cooked or crispy. The paninis used to be delicious about 4 years ago, but the quality has dropped quite considerably since then, which is a shame, as Flava is a lovely setting, and I do think the coffee is excellent. I also recently had the poached egg on sour dough, and I asked the waitress if the eggs were free range. She did not know, which makes me think that battery eggs are used - I know this is due to cost, but I think if you were to use free range, and highlight this in the menu, you could charge a little more to recoup your costs.

I do hope you will take my comments into account, and try to improve service, and the quality of the food.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
joe-flava, Owner at Flava Coffee Co, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Hi,
I am almost certain it was I who was in charge (in the loft?) on your last visit when you had the poached eggs. To be completely honest I just didn't see you come in, I was training the girl who did serve you. The waitress asked if you would like your coffee with your food and she thought you said yes (you will see previous reviewers who are critical of getting their food when they have finished their coffee). There is definitely no preference service given to larger parties as I am sure lots of our regular customers who usually come in on their own will testify.
I hope this is not offensive but you seem rather unapproachable, very quiet and whilst not unpleasant a little solitary. In other words you seem to give out a 'leave me be' vibe which would maybe make the staff feel like they would be bothering you and therefor you have to get their attention for a second drink. I know your face as you have frequented my business for years, and I am extremely grateful, but in all these years neither me or any of my staff have been on talking terms with you. We have to judge wether we feel this is what you want from us, if we have misjudged you here please accept my apology.
Regarding your comments on the panini's, the bread is bought in part baked. This is the very common within the industry, I'd be surprised if any other outlet in the area and this includes the bakery's fully bake their bread in house. However they are different panini's from the ones we have previously used. I actually preferred the other ones but our previous head chef didn't and wanted to try out the current type, we have had no complaints, however I have instructed the kitchen staff to revert back so on your next visit you can let me know if this is satisfactory.
Our eggs aren't free range, I don't know if it would be fair to force people to pay a premium for free range, it may matter to some and not to others. I have confirmed this by asking our customers. We will offer free range eggs at an additional cost and monitor the popularity of the option.
Please feel free to comment directly or take a card with my managers as well as my own e-mail address, or fill in a comment card and pop it in the provided box (beside the newspapers, lower level).
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I like this place: decent food, fantastic view, relaxed atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have been here twice for lunch. Both times the place has been busy but not over crowded.

If you are looking for high end/up market dining then this is not the place. But if you are looking for somewhere to enjoy a relaxing and casual meal then I am happy to recommend Flava. The menu isnt extensive but it got a decent mix of light lunch/cafe bar type dishes (check the menu on the website and OK I know you cant say that much about Fish and Chips but too many places seem to churn out a fairly poor plate. The Flava offers a good sized fillet with a light and crispy batter. A bit of care has gone into it! Similarly those who eat the burgers say that they are good - I havent tried them but they look pretty generous).

The staff and service are good - I see that one or two contributors have made a few slighly negative comments about the service but for us its been totally acceptable/good: attentive, efficient, friendly etc.

I really like the general atmosphere. I am no spring chicken but the place gives a relaxed kind of cool ambience. Its helped by the location and that the windows look out across the Firth. The views are stunning- get a window table if you can (I could happily spend a few hours eating, drinking coffeee or wine and looking out across the Firth towards the hils and spotting the odd Porpoise swimming by). One small but to me important point (positive):- the background music is good!. It is not at all loud or intrusive but its a good mix of 'cool' jazz that all helps with the general atmosphere. Click on the Flava website to get a feel for this!

Overall and for me Flava is good-great. For what it is (a cafe bar)- what it is aiming at , its very good.

• Visited May 2013
joe-flava, Owner at Flava Coffee Co, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Hi David,
Its a breath of fresh air to see such a fair and precise review on trip advisor. I feel we can get unfairly judged at times, in comparison to non diverse outlets. We do our best at every turn and its nice to know that our customers appreciate this. See you again soon we hope.