“Good location, not bad place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gateway Inn & Cabins

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gateway Inn & Cabins
Ranked #3 of 3 Ashford B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“Good location, not bad place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed there for one night in July, it was OK, it is rustic, but they do claim to be a rustic place. It was clean and OK to stay one night. The entrance to the mountain is 100 metres away from the Inn. The hamburgers were the best we've had during our vacation. There is a working wood fireplace. Bathroom was clean. We did spend too much time in the room, there was a huge mountain to explore outside!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank F_Canadian_A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

As a professional nature photographer, my priorities are convenience, a clean, quiet place to sleep and shower, available food and water and fair prices, in that order. This place fills my needs. Pro's: it's at the Park entrance, rooms are clean with their own bathrooms, in the main building they sell foodstuffs and beverages, and you can get a good breakfast, decent lunch and acceptable dinner here. Compared to other lodging in the area, prices here are 1/3 to 1/2 half less per night. If you desire fancy, go to other places and pay their higher prices, just for a place to sleep, potty and shower (?!) silly wabbitts!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Alpinejohn
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

We got a cabin which was very clean and bug free, the staff was very nice, extremely helpful and the price was great. Location is right at the Nisqually entrance too. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wholesomeolsen
Montesano, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

When I first reserved our room for a family reunion I spoke to a very nice and very helpful lady. That was in March. In August we attended the reunion...they didn't have our reservation and had to rearrange rooms for everyone to have a place to stay. They wouldn't give any extra towels (six people and only four towels, you do the math). Their store more than doubles the price of any other store ($10 for a six-pack of beer, $2.50 for a bag of ice). The cabins were easily 50 years old and had little or no improvements to them in that time. Not rustic, dirty and awful. The trailer we had to stay in (yes, trailer, for $150 a night!) was circa 1970, smelly and dirty, just awful. The bathroom floor was almost rotted through and the shower shot a stream of water straight into your face, and all over the ceiling, floor and walls (which might explain the rot). It is right next to the park entrance, but there are a million places on this road much nicer and cheaper than this place. Also, the man who runs the place was not at all nice. There was a younger girl working there, and she was very friendly and helpful, though. I would never ever stay here again, we got ripped off, spent nearly $300 to spend the night in a tiny cabin and a crappy trailer. I wish we had stayed home.

• Liked — Close to park
  • Disliked — Rooms, price, all else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Melyo

Travelers are raving about these Ashford hotels

Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2008

We arrived at this place around 9 p.m. The owner was very rude saying we promised to come before 8 p.m., which we didn't. Then the door to our cabin was open on a very warm summer night. Our room was full of bugs. They were even crawling on our bed. On top of that the door to the shower was falling off. All that held it was one hinge at the bottom. I did not have children, but if I did, I can imagine the door falling on one of them. The floors in the main room tilted downhill. I felt like I was going to fall out of the bed all night long. There was also a family union right outside our room. They talked and laughed until 1 a.m. The next morning I thought I would confront the owner about all of this in a polite way. He would not even let me finish a sentence as he started yelling at me. Every time I would start, he would start yelling again about how I didn't appreciate anything. That I was the type of patron to complain. I have never complained about anywhere until now. He finally asked if a cup of coffee would make me happy. What an insult. I just looked at him and walked out. I can imagine that he gets this same reaction from most people. He has his skills downpat. He should not be listed as somewhere to stay in the Mt. Rainier area!! Sorry I did not know about this site sooner to put this information on here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DisneyDream
Northern VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2007

This place is convenient. It is rustic. It is not very nice. But it is OK. Price (AAA rate) for two bed cabin was $119/night w/out breakfast. Room was fairly large, about 30 x 30. The bathroom was retro-fitted into the cabin and was very small. The fireplace was functional and left a smokey smell in the cabin. The furniture (an odd collecion), matresses and rugs were old; not dirty, just old. Spiders and small insects seemed to get into the place (this is a park, after all). This is a place you slept in. You did not hang out in it. You pick it because it is close to the park (about 100 yards from the entrance) and the rate is reasonable. I would not stay here more than 2 nights, though. I think the matress would start to bother me.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the old beds and furniture
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

The Gateway Inn has a rustic look and feel but that's perfect for visiting Mt. Rainier. You can't beat the price! We would definitely recommend this place to anyone planning a visit to the area. It is directly at the base of the main entrance to Mt. Rainier which is an ideal location. The restaurant was decent, and it was really helpful to have the store downstairs to grab snacks for the day. There are about 4 or 5 cabins on site as well as rooms above the lodge. We stayed in room #12 and it was soooo big! It had 2 rooms, one with a queen bed (fridge, tv, coffeemaker), and another room with 2 single beds. The bathroom has a stand up shower with nice warm water and good water pressure. The only thing we wish it had was a phone in the room since we were coordinating with other people that were staying in a different motel in Ashford. There is no cell phone reception out there but we did find an unofficial wireless internet connection. It was a perfect place for our trip to Mt. Rainier!

• Liked — Big room and great price
  • Disliked — No phone in room (but to be fair- this is what they pride themselves on- you can disconnect from the world)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#2 of 5 in Packwood
Copper Creek Inn
Copper Creek Inn
#2 of 3 in Ashford

Been to Gateway Inn & Cabins? Share your experiences!