“Not what I expect in an RV Park”

Gateway Inn & Cabins
Ranked #3 of 3 Ashford B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed late winter 2012. The RV park offers hookups...but no bathrooms, showers, picnic tables, fire rings. Just a grass/dirt area right up against the highway. Sites are tight together. Even though you're self-contained (unless you pay for full hookups your entire stay), you can't dump your tanks.
Just know what you're paying for.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mtnmanmike

Reviewed October 20, 2011

It was late in the day in September and as my wife and I are rather old we stopped here because it was the first motel out of Mt. Rainier National Park. Log cabin with fireplace was quaint but lighting was dim and TV had only one channel for $153.17. Food was fair. Wine was from a jug that had been open too long.

Room Tip: Stop early enough so you do not have to take the first vacancy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Pros: Log Cabin, was rustic and I loved the setting. Beds were ok, shower water was hot. Very cozy feeling. Wood burning fireplace (have to ask for the rooms that have this, if you want it) TV had lots of channels. Was quiet the 1st night, but had a fighting couple next to us the next, which was kind of annoying. It was after 8 pm, so there was no way to contact the manager...I guess I might have called the main #, but not sure if anyone would have answered. Nisqually entrance is RIGHT near the Inn...I walked up to the booth, and was going to go for a walk into the park, and she showed me a trail, which was kind of cool...

Cons...toilet wasn't cleaned, paper on floor when we first arrived, no hand soap, but there was shampoo. Smokey smell in room. I felt that for the price, there should have been a continental breakfast available. There were restaurants within driving distance, but they were sit down places, and to eat out EVERY meal got a little expensive. We had the hamburger meal and blackberry pie at the Gateway, and both were excellent. No drawers or closet space, so just left my clothes in the suitcase so it wasn't messy.

The minuses weren't that bad though, and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

After searching for a reasonably priced place, we found the Gateway Inn. We weren't looking for luxury, just a clean and safe place to lay our heads after driving 2 hours for the Star Party. Well based on the reviews and how much lower the price was than the rest on the block, we figured it was going to be less than the Motel 6 of the bunch.

We are happy to say that we were pleasantly surprised by the kind service, the clean room, and the cozy accommodations. It really was a small log cabin with a wonderful fireplace that heated the place up nicely. If you didn't want to burn wood, there is a high powered heater on the wall that works beautifully too. I imagine the complaints came from city folk who wanted to bring their bedrooms with them. The cabin and surrounding were perfect for the location. The restaurant had kind service and great, homemade, food. Even the blackberry jam was wonderful.

There was no mildew in the bathroom as stated in a previous post, there were no bugs if you didn't leave the door open (you are in the woods), and all the furniture had a vintage feel to it which, to me, was a perfect addition to the rustic ambiance. Although we had brought our own, they even had firewood in the room for us to burn.

We stayed in cabin number 6. As I stated previously, we were pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LizBond
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed there for one night in July, it was OK, it is rustic, but they do claim to be a rustic place. It was clean and OK to stay one night. The entrance to the mountain is 100 metres away from the Inn. The hamburgers were the best we've had during our vacation. There is a working wood fireplace. Bathroom was clean. We did spend too much time in the room, there was a huge mountain to explore outside!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank F_Canadian_A
Reviewed July 20, 2009

As a professional nature photographer, my priorities are convenience, a clean, quiet place to sleep and shower, available food and water and fair prices, in that order. This place fills my needs. Pro's: it's at the Park entrance, rooms are clean with their own bathrooms, in the main building they sell foodstuffs and beverages, and you can get a good breakfast, decent lunch and acceptable dinner here. Compared to other lodging in the area, prices here are 1/3 to 1/2 half less per night. If you desire fancy, go to other places and pay their higher prices, just for a place to sleep, potty and shower (?!) silly wabbitts!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Alpinejohn
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We got a cabin which was very clean and bug free, the staff was very nice, extremely helpful and the price was great. Location is right at the Nisqually entrance too. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank wholesomeolsen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#2 of 3 in Ashford
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Gateway Inn & Cabins? Share your experiences!