“Cute but not for the price...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashford
Deep Forest Cabins at Mt. Rainier
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Seattle WA
“Cute but not for the price...”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed a weekend in the Cedar Grove cabin and wished I had read accurate reviews. We've spent a lot of time at Mount Rainier and I love the little town of Ashford. The cabin was a disappointment for several reasons.

The cabins are close to Mount Rainier but a few things weren't so 'clear' on the website. The cabins are located right off the highway so there is nothing quiet about these - every car sounds like it's right outside the window.

We were shocked by how tiny this cabin was. The bed was in the kitchen - literally. There was no living area, no living room, no bedroom, no space to even feel cozy. The cabin itself was recently built/remodeled with beautiful pine. But the layout is crazy. A huge bathroom (with a nice jacuzzi tub) and outdoor hot tub in the midst of towering trees (BEST thing about this cabin) but no kitchen or living area. What a waste of what could have been an adorable cabin.

Perhaps it would have been fine for a reduced cost, but at $200/night I expect what I pay for. This was absolutely not worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank kiersten2
deepforestMtRainier, Owner at Deep Forest Cabins at Mt. Rainier, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Kiersten2,
I am so sorry to hear you did not enjoy the cabin. I wish you had contacted us during your stay so we could have moved you to a larger cabin and one that fit your needs better. We have many different types of cabins, each one unique from the other in architectural design, from spacious to intimate. We include floor plans of each cabin on our website so guests can choose the one which fits their needs. Cedar Grove is a small intimate romantic cabin. Its focus is on a spa atmosphere, it has the largest bathroom of any of our cabins, but a smaller living area more like a studio. It does have a kitchen, and that area is open to the bed. It also has a split level area of table and chairs near large windows. Many people love this cabin for its cozy feeling of romantic intimacy and we have many repeat guests to the cabin for that very reason. In the summer the outside decks serve to double the living space.
Our forested 20 acre property is in a preserved nature reserve status. The upside of this is that the cabin is surrounded by beautiful trees and forest, but the foot print of the cabin cannot be legally altered or made larger. We are on the edge of hundreds of miles of wild forest, bordering Mt Rainier and National Forest land. Yes, the main road to Mt Rainier is several hundred feet through the forest and can be heard from outside the cabin, but most people notice the immediacy of the forest. Unfortunately, because of the restrictions of the geography in the valley, many places up here are located near the main road or in developments. If you ever want to return I can help you find a place tailored to your specific needs, be it in another of our cabins or in someone else’s in the area as I have a good grasp of what is available. We prefer you are happy, wherever you may stay.
Best regards,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brinnon, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2013

You feel your cares slip away when you arrive. The cabins are all in the middle of the forest, with greenery all around. In our case, there was also a lot of snow, but no problem negotiating the roads. I love the fact that the cabins appear so ordinary on your approach - you really wonder what exactly you're paying for. Then you open the door.......and WOW!! The interiors are fabulous, with lots of windows to let in the surrounding forest, natural wood paneling and floors polished to an impossible shine. The architecture is a wonderful use of natural materials - Maplewild actually has a couple of walls built around the boulders, making them part of the cabin interior. Everything is top-class - towels, bedding, toiletries. Janet and Pat have thought of everything you could possibly need, so we really only needed to bring our meals....and wine, of course.

We have stayed here twice, once in Chanterelle (last year) and this last time in Maplewild with all the extras. We barbecued steaks on the grill and spent both evenings in the private hot tub after snowshoeing on Mt. Rainier, sipping wine and watching stars. My husband thought it would be hard to be without cell, internet, and TV, but I convinced him that disconnecting was what could make 2 days a "real" vacation. We brought books, DVDs, and his laptop (for working on his wonderful park photos).

You can't beat this place for location (less than a mile from the park entrance), setting (beautiful and private), amenities, and hospitality. We definitely recommend Deep Forest Cabins.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sherrie M
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in the Chanterelle cabin. It had everything we needed for 3 nights and the location was so private and beautiful. The leaves were changing colors and it was a very quiet stay. Beautiful time of year to go. It is a 2 minute drive to Mt. Rainier National Park and the cabins are very clean inside. We had heated floors in the bathroom (so nice for this time of year!) and enough room for 2 people. It was perfect for us. The owner Janet was very friendly and helpful during our stay. I would highly recommend staying here. We have no complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: If you don't need a kitchen then the Chanterelle house is perfect for you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amio_Persio
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I flew in from Maui to spend my 30th birhtday with my best friend and I could not have asked for a better birthday weekend. We stayed in the Maplewild cabin and it was perfect for the two of us. The cabin was super clean and quiet, and having the loft bedroom as well as a pull-out sofa worked beautifuly. Noting beats coming home after some hiking up at the park and soaking in the hot tub with dinner in the oven. I would put this on your must stay list if you are planning a weekend near Mt. Rainer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Burnt_Ginger
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Because we didn't need a kitchen we stayed in the Chanterelle cabin. The cabin was found in the midst of the rainforest close to Mt. Rainier National Park. The cabin was clean, comfortable and quiet. The hosts were very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pika_candid_reviews
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed for four nights at the Deep Forest cabins. We would stay here again. The innkeepers were nice and it was very quiet. The cabin that we stayed in was the Barn Owl which was very spacious. However, next time I would choose another cabin. The first floor of the building was the innkeeper's workshop so if we didn't keep the door shut some of the fumes would make their way upstairs. However, the innkeepers never work while someone is staying in the cabin.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claire3022
deepforestMtRainier, Owner at Deep Forest Cabins at Mt. Rainier, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Claire,
I am so sorry about the smell. I wish you would have told me so we could have run some fans or other wise taken care of the problem, as that is unacceptable. As stated my husband's shop is below Barn Owl and normally he never uses it for anything when we have guests. The day before he had painted a rail, not knowing the fumes would still be present upon your stay, or even in Barn Owl. We are so sorry about this. From now on he will do all that type of activity outside away from the cabins. Thank you for the kind words about the cabin and if you are back in the area please contact us to see what we can do for you. Also please contact me now if you have any further concerns.
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We arrived early and our cabin was ready so we were allowed to check in which was great. We pull up and from the outside this place looks like a tool shed. I was seriously concerned. But you go in and the space inside is unbelievable. The hardwood floors are beautiful and the view out the window is excellent as well. There was more than enough room for the two of us. Everything was comfortable and I absolutely loved this cabin (especially for the reasonable price). I really really really wanted to give this place 5 stars, but we had somewhat of an unfortunate experience. I knew this cabin wasn't equipped with a grill, but at checkin the owner told us the next cabin over was unoccupied and we were welcome to walk over and use their grill for the night. We went and bought steaks, and went exploring, but when we returned late and tired in the evening to make our dinner there was a van parked at the neighboring cabin and a note on our door saying that friends had dropped in and we could no longer use the grill. We had to make last minute arrangements for dinner when we were tired and didin't feel like going out that late, and our previous grocery run was a waste. This really soured our experience, and I didn't feel like the note left on our door was a sufficient apology for the inconvenience. Nonetheless, I still loved this cabin and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer07
Dear Jennifer,
I am so sorry to hear about the steaks. This is our mistake and we are very sorry you bought steaks you could not grill and had to go out when you were tired. I wish you would have told me so I could have fixed the problem on the spot. Please contact me by email, or phone so we can reimburse you for the steaks.
Thank you for the kind words about the guest house. It is a special cabin but it is smaller than our others so does not have cooking facilities, hot tub, bathtub, or fireplace. That is why it is such a good deal.
As an aside, the cabin was designed by my uncle, Alan Liddle who was a leading architect specializing in midcentury modern homes and buildings. One of the key features of these home is that from the approach, there are few windows facing the road side to ensure privacy. Upon entering the home, the view explodes with light with large windows facing a wonderful view. We have three cabins designed by him, Chanterelle, Maplewild and Salal. They all share these features, looking very plain from the outside and having great architectural interest and light on the inside.
Thanks again, and I hope we have a chance to fix this.
Best wishes,
Janet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#4 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Deep Forest Cabins at Mt. Rainier? Share your experiences!