“Old property but great location!”
Review of Alexander's Lodge

Alexander's Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Old property but great location!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights hear while hiking in Mt Rainier. The rooms as small and dated but clean. The bed was comfortable. The shower was just a basic stall. It was fine for us because we were gone all day at the park doing long hikes Don't bother hurrying there for the "wine hour". It is the sweetest worst wine I have ever had. There is a large parlour in the inn which is nice to hang out in and talk to the other guests. It was very social!
We ate dinner there one night. We had a lovely salad and my trout was outstanding. My husband ordered the "special" trout which was explained as with cranberries and apples. It had a large portion of Thanksgiving type stuffing on it and was not a good combination. I referred to it as "Turkey trout". My pan fried trout was wonderful as was our dessert of mud pie. Service was also good. Just one wrong choice. The next night we ate at "Wildberry" across the street and it was awesome!
Breakfast were wonderful but do make sure you sign up early for a time. As we were hiking we wanted to eat and get on the mountain. They do a 7:30 am breakfast but only 2 parties at a time.
The best thing about the inn is they do lunches to go for $9 each. Great sandwich, fruit, candy, granola bar and drink all set to go so you don't have to worry about stopping anywhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Harpenden
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in a petite suite at the Inn, it was spacious, clean and at the rear of the Inn so no road noise. The breakfasts were delicious as well as the dinner we had in the their restaurant for the two nights we stayed there. So good value for money. The staff at the Inn were very friendly and extremely helpful. A good place to stay when visiting Mount Rainier NP.

Seattle
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've stayed at this B&B on two other occasions, and had dinners here twice that often.

The food is excellent. Alexander's is famous for two things: the fresh trout (grown in their own trout pond right behind the inn), and the blackberry pie. Oh my. I had the trout. My husband had the lamb and said it was perfect. We both enjoyed the pie.
So if you are hungry, don't miss the food.
The inn, though, has a few issues. Granted the building is very, very old, and as such, I suppose,should be given some leeway. While our room had no problems, my sister's room's smoke alarm beeped throughout the night. It being very late by the time she got to bed, she didn't think it was possible to have it repaired.
Our bed was comfortable, if a bit too soft. The thing that disturbed me most was the level of light in the room. I require a dark room in which to sleep. The lights outside the inn, one of which was the Inn's sign, shown in through the two windows, one of which was a stained glass one without any sort of shade. Their was a nightlight in the bathroom that was bright enough to read by. The lights shown under the doorway. Thus I didn't get much sleep.
The breakfast was unusual in that one had to sign up for it the night before, and they only took two parties at a time. The intervals were fifteen minutes. If you weren't paying attention, and didn't sign up for a reasonable breakfast time, you might find find yourself waiting until eleven o'clock for breakfast! Plus, they didn't start serving breakfast until 8 AM. If you want to hit the mountain, then, you'd not even be through the gate in time to see sunrise over the Mountain.

I had the scrambled eggs with ham and potatoes. I thought it odd that the ham was mixed in with the eggs, but it was still very good.

And I must mention the music in the restaurant. It was an interruption during the dinner meal, but when we entered the restaurant for breakfast, the music was literally so loud you couldn't hear the server telling you what was on the menu. I asked to have the music turned down and the woman looked at me as if I'd personally insulted her. The music was NOT turned down. It was a mix of jazz and rock, both of which are pretty hard to stomach first thing in the morning. Let's not mention that it is totally out of character for the ambiance of the restaurant. It would be as if you were eating at Grama's and she had heavy metal playing. The music clashed with the environment the owners have tried so hard to cultivate.

The owners need to understand that music in the restaurant is unnecessary, especially in as small a space as theirs. How can you enjoy the evening meal or breakfast when you have to strain to hear or shout to your companions?

If you're looking for a place to stay just outside the Park, this is a good place, but it's not the best overall.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Bed & breakfast Inn is very quaint and offer a nice atmosphere. The breakfast was wonderful and the service was good. Base on our observation the Inn need to updates some of the room. Our bathroom cabinet under the sink will not close and conststenly open. We do find the room has a musky smell sort of like a dirty diaper smell. The bed could use a upgrade mattess. We enjoyed the wine and the guests staying there that evening. We were able to enjoyed knowing them and the sitting room was very comfortable. We did not get enough time to use th Spa. Location was good for going to visit Mt. Rainer. We did not try the dinner but what we had breakfast it certainly was good. We will certainly recommend the place if you need a quaint place to stay..

1 Thank kseow
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2012

While this is a great 'jumping off point' to exploring Rainier, the price and description would suggest that this is more than just a place to fall into a bed after a long day of hiking- it isn't. When we arrived, we noticed the grounds were full of weeds and generally poorly maintained. The front desk 'greeter' was unpleasant and inattentive. The main parlor was saturated with a putrid mildew smell.There were opened doors (without screens) throughout the Inn that allowed mosquito's to roam freely, attacking the guests. The complimentary wine consisted of diluted, Franzia type white wine- no red, no beer. Our room the 'Tower suite' was described to us over the phone as having a Victorian spiral staircase- it was actually a dangerously steep loft ladder.The suite did not have a phone,clock, TV, mini-refrigerator / ice, AC or appropriate bath products including conditioner. It was stifling hot, so AC and a way to keep beverages cool would have helped a lot, and is something I would expect from even a low cost motel. They placed a card in the room saying 'contact the front desk if you need anything' but without a phone, I guess they want you walk down the three flights of stairs and try to find someone. Not having a clock is funny, since they make you schedule a time for breakfast- there was a wall clock on our floor but I found out at some point that it was an hour and 45 minutes slow, so almost missed out on breakfast. The Victorian décor (as described by the booking attendant) was actually out-dated floral wallpaper that would have been more appropriate to cover a dollhouse, or a Grandmother’s bathroom, than a romantic suite. I would also like to add that the only art on the wall was a moth-eaten, christening gown that would be better art for a Halloween themed room.
The food was actually very good, and you can stop here for dinner without being a guest, which I do recommend. I love this area so I hope I can find a decent place to stay for next time, but I have so few chances to take vacations as a hard working man so this will be it for the year- extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Avoid the Tower suite if you don't like climbing ladders
1 Thank Jeff M
AlexandersCountryInn, Owner at Alexander's Lodge, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Jeff,
I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay at Alexander's.
Some people don't care for the experience one finds in country inns or bed and breakfasts.
To address some of your points. You are correct, Alexander's does not have central air conditioning. Every room has at least one fan and, being in the mountains, it always cools off at night.
Our evening wine --usually a chablis--is complimentary. Alexander's Restaurant has domestic and microbrew beer as well as house wines and a wine list. Guests are welcome to purchase the beverage of their choice.
We have guest amenities such as clocks, hair dryers, toothbrushes/toothpaste, etc.
The christening gowns are family mementoes; framed with museum quality glass to preserve them. Some guests enjoy them.
I'm glad you enjoyed Alexander's Restaurant and hope you stop by next time you are on the Mountain.
You are always welcome to contact me directly.
Bernadette
Dover, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked three nights at Alexander's because we wanted to do some day hiking in the Mt. Rainier National Park, and Alexander's is the closest facility to the Park. (The lodges in the park were booked.) Despite having seen some good reviews, we did not have high expectations, in part because we are not particular fans of "antique" facilities. We were delightfully surprised. Our "petite suite" was adequately roomy and spotlessly clean. We were there during a very hot spell and were at first worried that the lack of air conditioning would be a problem, but the window fans were more than adequate given the dramatic evening cool-downs. The grounds were beautiful, and all the employees were wonderful. The biggest surprise of all was the restaurant. The food was truly first class, both at breakfast and especially at dinner. The dinner menu included one of the best salmon dishes either of us could recall having.

We were on a three week trip from Seattle to San Francisco, with stays at many hotels and inns, and our stay at Alexander's just may have been our favorite.

Room Tip: The so-called petite suite gave us room to spread out that we may not otherwise have had in the anti...
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Alexander's Country Inn is just a short distance from the entrance to Mt. Ranier. The grounds are beautiful, but there is not view of the mountain. We stayed one night at the Paradise Inn at Mt. Ranier and wished we had spent two nights at Alexander's instead! Breakfast is in the restaurant, but was quite good.

Room Tip: Rooms tend to be on the small side.
1 Thank Dancer099
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Packwood Lodge
#2 of 3 in Ashford
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Alexander's Lodge? Share your experiences!