“Something for everyone”

Wildberry Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Ashford
Cuisines: American, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant closes during off-season(October through March). Under new management. One of the few restaurants (or at least decent ones) near the entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park. Currently owned by a renowned mountain climber, Lhakpa Gelu Sherpa. Lhakpa (owner) has climbed Mt. Everest 15 times, and also holds record for the fastest ascent of Mt. Everest in 10 hours 56 minutes and 46 seconds. Wildberry serves both traditional American Mountain Menu (burgers, sandwich, Salads, fish n chips, chicken strips etc.) as well as authentic Sherpa-Himalayan food (steamed dumplings- momo, stew, Thali, etc.)from Tibet & Nepal.
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Our hotel recommended this place to us and we really enjoyed it. One of our kids had the yak burger, which was quite tasty. One had the chowder, which was really mellow and buttery. Another had chicken nuggets and fries. I had the sherpa stew and sherpa tea, which was warm and satisfying after a long, cold hike at Paradise and my spouse had some type of curry, also satisfying. The mango lassi drink was tasty too. The kids thought the french fries were very good.

What else? They have a roomy outdoor dining area and are located very close to the entrance to the park, less than 40 minutes from Paradise. Inside is an odd mix of Himalayan and country decor, paired with signed mountain climbing posters. I don't recall there being a kids menu but most of the diners there were families.

The staff was friendly and professional. Overall we were very happy with our dining experience at Wild Berry.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Gorgeous! Spotlessly clean, very good food and great staff. We ate here two evenings running...grilled trout, chicken thalis, yak burgers - it was all lovely. Their wild huckleberry pie with vanilla ice cream is the bomb, do not miss it! We had a lovely bottle of wine the first evening which we didn't finish. We bought it back the second night and they were fine about us finishing it up which we really liked too! Highly recommended.

3  Thank Alisoniponi
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We were staying in a nearby cabin while on a hiking trip at Mt Rainier, and noticed Wildberry on the way to the park. We stopped back there at dinner time, and got seating outside in sunny spring weather. The restaurant is run by a Sherpa family and includes a gift shop with Himalayan wares. The menu includes Sherpa ethnic specialties rarely seen anywhere else, including yak and water buffalo. I was told that the yak was raised locally in Washington, and so I had a yak burger. The meat was mild and delicious, not at all gamey. If staying longer, we would have returned to try more dishes.

1  Thank Mary Jane D
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We ate dinner here two nights in a row and enjoyed it both times, trying both Himalayan and American items on the menu. The second night was busy and we initially felt like we'd been forgotten, but once the server realized we hadn't been helped she made sure we were well taken care of.

2  Thank JD-94-travels
Reviewed August 21, 2014

My Wife and I decided to depart from Elbe, Wa. in search of something new to experience in the means of good food. Eureka!, The Wildberry Restaurant was just the ticket. My Wife had a traditional Cheeseburger with Sweet Potato Fries, and I had The Yak Burger with Onion Rings. We both also throughly enjoyed the "Best Wild Huckleberry Pie" my taste buds have had the pleasure of tasting. So!, it's real simple that I should warn all Skiers,Hikers and Passerby's to put aside your trail mix and baloney sandwiches. For once slow down, set aside a few dollars and enjoy some of the best cuisine in the immediate area!

Sincerely!, Richard F.

P.S, The Yak Burger was just as sweet as Kobe Beef, that's a promise!

Been to Wildberry Restaurant? Share your experiences!